Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And the 2020 Dakar Rally goes to...

Options
  • 17-04-2019 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

.. Saudi Arabia!
    Recent rumours confirmed with official announcement.
    Pity those journalists entering any Saudi embassy for a visa.
    I suppose it might do something for women's rights in the country. As long as female competitors won't need to bring a male guardian.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Its a joke.

A brutal corrupt country is no place for an event like the Dakar but money talks I guess.

I won't be watching the next event, the Africa Eco race Rally is much better to my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I dislike Saudi Arabia politically and they have lots of human rights problems. But so did lots of the African countries when it was based there. I mean, no one cared about the human rights in Mauritania when it went through there.
    Take your pick from this list:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Mauritania

But purely as the terrain goes this is the perfect place for it. Huge desert country.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Cienciano wrote: »
    I dislike Saudi Arabia politically and they have lots of human rights problems. But so did lots of the African countries when it was based there. I mean, no one cared about the human rights in Mauritania when it went through there.
    Take your pick from this list:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Mauritania

But purely as the terrain goes this is the perfect place for it. Huge desert country.

We are supposed to be less tolerant now of oppression. Or is that only marginal oppression in the Western world we are opposed to oppose and not the outright discrimination and abuse in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Yes, shocking really - with all the current Saudi controversies. Imagine the organisors schmoozing with MbS, Mr Bone saw. He appears in the PR.

It is big business. ASO, who own the Dakar, also "own" the Tour of France, the Vuelta, L'Equipe, and many other events. I didn't know.
    And it hadn't occurred to me that the host nation(s) pay large sums to the organisors to be "honoured" with the Dakar. Should be the other way round.

I was only ever interested in the motos but even that interest has been waning. I suppose I'll be curious to see what the Saudi countyside looks like. It can't be all sand dunes, Shirley.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I suppose I'll be curious to see what the Saudi countyside looks like. It can't be all sand dunes, Shirley.

They don't have 1 river in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Maybe countryside is the wrong word.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

Will make navigation especially important or just blind luck?

Advertisement