Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gorse or whin

Options
  • 11-04-2019 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭

So, we’re thinking of getting some bees, our rural area is little cultivated.
    There is an abundance of gorse (whin) all around, along with large grown hawthorn hedges rather than tightly clipped. Plenty of ivy. Plenty of willow about too if that’s any good.

No tillage so pesticides use overall would be low.

From reading different sources is gorse actually a source of nectar or is it just pollen. We’re surrounded with it and it flowers most of the year from February.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Pollen only. But one of the highest quality pollens and yields plenty of it.
    Whitethorn and briars is what you want for honey

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Pollen only. But one of the highest quality pollens and yields plenty of it.
    Whitethorn and briars is what you want for honey
    Ok.
    Large grown hawthorn hedges are plentiful here.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

_Brian wrote: »
    From reading different sources is gorse actually a source of nectar or is it just pollen. We’re surrounded with it and it flowers most of the year from February.

I had a pollen analysis done on one of my honeys last year. Gorse showed up at 2%. I was surprised because I've always heard the same thing... pollen only, no nectar.

The Gorse pollen could have been over-represented in the sample but it would still suggest they got some little bit of nectar out of it.

Anyway, in reality it's not a significant contributor of nectar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

The gorse (or whin or furze) and willow are excellent sources of good quality pollen, especially early in the year when brood rearing is starting. The whitethorn will give good honey, if the weather allows it to yield. You probably have dandelion and clover and sycamore and chestnut too, all of which give plenty of nectar. In general the largest amount of nectar comes from blackberry and Ivy will give loads of honey from September to as late as December, although it's an acquired taste for us humans (the bees are quite happy with it).

Between Whitethorn and Ivy seasons, both of which our area has immense amounts of, what would bees be relying on, there’s no tillage here at all so no rapeseed etc.

Are the wild bird covers in Gals scheme any use, there is some about and were hoping to go into glas ourselves. I read about adding buckwheat and white mustard for bees.

Larger trees would be mostly ash some sycamore (and the stilka spruce rubbish my neighbor planted)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Between Whitethorn and Ivy seasons, both of which our area has immense amounts of, what would bees be relying on, there’s no tillage here at all so no rapeseed etc.

Are the wild bird covers in Gals scheme any use, there is some about and were hoping to go into glas ourselves. I read about adding buckwheat and white mustard for bees.

Larger trees would be mostly ash some sycamore (and the stilka spruce rubbish my neighbor planted)

Starts with hazel/furze. Then lesser celandine, willow, dandelion, blackthorn, horse chestnut, sycamore. Whitethorn, holly, clover, blackberry, willowherb, thistles and usually a gap of a few weeks then to ivy.

Pretty much anywhere in the country can support 2-3 hives, the worst places won't get big yields but they'd do a bit anyway

Starts with hazel/furze. Then lesser celandine, willow, dandelion, blackthorn, horse chestnut, sycamore. Whitethorn, holly, clover, blackberry, willowherb, thistles and usually a gap of a few weeks then to ivy.

Pretty much anywhere in the country can support 2-3 hives, the worst places won't get big yields but they'd do a bit anyway

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

B

The Glas scheme (should be called Dubh, IMHO) usually has oats and flax, neither of which have any interest for bees. If you add buckwheat or alfalfa or any of the brassicas, the bees will be much happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I buy phacelia seed to add to oats and linseed for our wbc. This year I increased the phacelia by 2kgs and also included 5kgs of buckwheat seed. The phacelia costs €14.50/kg and the buckwheat is €4.40/kg. You can buy larger amounts of buckwheat 25kgs.
    https://www.fruithillfarm.com/organic-buckwheat-seed.html

Base price wrote: »
    I buy phacelia seed to add to oats and linseed for our wbc. This year I increased the phacelia by 2kgs and also included 5kgs of buckwheat seed. The phacelia costs €14.50/kg and the buckwheat is €4.40/kg. You can buy larger amounts of buckwheat 25kgs.
    https://www.fruithillfarm.com/organic-buckwheat-seed.html

You have to wonder why this isn’t compulsory as part of the all Ireland pollinator plan, I’d have thought it would be a simple win all round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Base price

You have to wonder why this isn’t compulsory as part of the all Ireland pollinator plan, I’d have thought it would be a simple win all round
    4kgs of phacelia and 6kgs of buckwheat seeds are costing €88.40 incl VAT and delivery. Obviously there will be a small additional cost of diesel spreading them in the selected area of wbc but the benefits are well worth it.
    I really enjoy walking through that part of the wbc on a sunny day observing all the bumblebees, hoverflies, butterflies etc gathering pollen and nectar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I have added in kg of forage turnip for an April pollen and nectar bump for my bees.

Advertisement