Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE 1 Drivetime with Mary Wilson

• 31-05-2007 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Did I miss something or has it always been 4.30 till 6.30? I think they snuck an extra half-hour when the election campaign began and decided to keep it (for the obvious reasons I guess).

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Half an hour less of Mooney at least.
    They should bring back Cahill to 6.00 and let Fanning start at 6.30.
    Nobody wants two hours of Mary Wilson do they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Nobody wants 2hours of Fanning, he should go back to 2fm where he belongs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭sudzs

mike65 wrote:
    Did I miss something or has it always been 4.30 till 6.30? I think they snuck an extra half-hour when the election campaign began and decided to keep it (for the obvious reasons I guess).

Mike.

I think somebody in RTE twigged that loads of listeners were defecting to George Hook at 4.30 rather than listening to the twittering Mooney while waiting for Drivetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

That bint standing in for Mary Wilson today did a good job, aggressive,fast moving,authoritative. makes a change.

I could get to like her if it wasn't for the Nordie Proddie accent,and the tweedy middle class sound of her.

Has promise... where the fugg did she come from???

Ulster somewhere I think.

Not a good reccy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Is it necessary to refer to her as a 'bint'?

No, that was uncalled for,in mature reflection,not a good choice.

Apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Was it Eibhlin Ni Ruairc, once of the Gerry Ryan parish?

No surname was Carvill, can't think of her first name... Audrey thats it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

She was as hard as glass er nails, her accent was like glass.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭windowcleaner

I thought I'd tuned into newstalk by mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭need assistance

I think she is from the BBC World service.
    Did a good job I thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Agreed. Despite her lofty accent, found her easier to listen to than Wilson.

When I tuned in just after 5pm though, instead of hearing the top stories of the day being debated, I heard Joe O'Connor going on about being broke in New York at Christmas.

Seemed like a weird feature to have in a news format show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Yes its Audrey Carville click here and all will be revealed http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/presenters/audrey_carville.shtml

I have listened to her on the BBC World Sevice at 5 pm with Europe Today on 648 khz.

Wonder if she will be a regular fixture on Radio Donnybrook?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ray900

She gave Mary Coughlan a very Paxman-esque interview today. Didn't make for easy listening. A million times better than Mary Wilson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I too, agree with the braying mob. Death to Merry Wilson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Teatime

She's not a Nordie Prod.

She's from Castleblayney.

Formerly of Northern Sound, Highland Radio, BBC Northern Ireland and is still the presenter of "Europe Today" at BBC World Service.

RTE are lucky to have her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Teatime wrote: »
    Formerly of Northern Sound, Highland Radio, BBC Northern Ireland and is still the presenter of "Europe Today" at BBC World Service.
    That explains it - She certainly didn't sound like a newbie!

She has a hard edge and took no nonsense from An Tainiste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

She sounds like a female Lloyd Grossman. Tough, pressing interviewer though, so much better than Mary Wilson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

yeah, she was tough on de Tanaiste alright. Will be a long day before she comes back onto drive time I'd say. Good to see her being so aggressive with the TD though.

good luck to her.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Agree with positive posts on Audrey Carvill - thought she did a good job as stand in for Pansy Wilson.

Need to moderate the accent though - bit harsh for us Southies - strangest 'Blayney twang I ever heard - probably from the "Big House" I would say - NOW ! why can't we have her full time if only to keep that nasal Keelan Shanley off air.

Ummm .. bit tweedy and nasal for the Flutt.

Good operator though,certainly has promise.

Old thread but here goes.

I see John Murray has to been standing in this week. I'm not convinced, painful to listen to, there are better standins IMHO.

Thought he was consigned to weekend sport.

Off to LBC for me. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Yep, it appears John Murray is now the Radio 1 Super Sub. Haven't been impressed with him on Drivetime at all. It's a shame, he was decent enough on Morning Ireland back in the day.

It's a shame, he was decent enough on Morning Ireland back in the day.

I remember he was quite good on "The business" but it all seems so forced now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

JM could have done with a co-presenter on a show of that length.

His delivery seemed to lack energy from the outset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭mountcisco

Murray again on Drivetime today. Please don't let it be for long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,725 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hmm the dude reporting on Drivetime is a ‘Dinner in the middle of the Day’ man.

Interesting.......... verrrry interesting.

Who is he?

Jaysus Barry Lenihan is it........ big boul of soup before the mate an two veg.

Send the per diems into Ar Tee Eee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Hmm the dude reporting on Drivetime is a ‘Dinner in the middle of the Day’ man.

Interesting.......... verrrry interesting.

Who is he?

Jaysus Barry Lenihan is it........ big boul of soup before the mate an two veg.

Send the per diems into Ar Tee Eee

I like Barry’s reports. Drivetime is my go to Programme in the evening but I rarely podcast show-I think Ivan Yates has better podcasts

• Advertisement

honeybear wrote: »
    I like Barry’s reports. Drivetime is my go to Programme in the evening but I rarely podcast show-I think Ivan Yates has better podcasts

Eh.... good man, thanks for your contribution.

What in fcuks name is that tool McCullagh going on about on Drivetime.

Sounds pissed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

tampopo wrote:
    Nobody wants 2hours of Fanning, he should go back to 2fm where he belongs.

Two hours? Couldn't listen to him for two seconds.

Katie is a very poor presenter on Drivetime

honeybear wrote: »
    Katie is a very poor presenter on Drivetime

Once I hear ‘noos’ …………………bang....off button.......gonzo.

Should the report be published in the public domain? GOLD. Minister Josipha Madigan put under the spotlight.

• Advertisement

So many breaks already and the show has only been on an hour

Car crash radio interview now with Eoin.

"It's my first radio interview"

We should all grovel to Boris so.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 c_murph

Car crash radio interview now with Eoin.

"It's my first radio interview"

We should all grovel to Boris so.

If we get lucky, it might be his last radio interview too. It's the end of the country apparently. Redraw the maps!

c_murph wrote: »
    If we get lucky, it might be his last radio interview too. It's the end of the country apparently. Redraw the maps!

Agree completely, car crash for Eoghan, blew it and sent any chance he had of being considered a serious columnist down the tubes.

Bleating like a hungry goat.

Gino getting torn out a new one on Drivetime.

Gino seems to wants the taxpayer to pay for everything, it would appear.

Get yer self stoned up and John Q will foot the bill !!

Seems to me to that’s Gino’s outlook?

Very poor performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Gino getting torn out a new one on Drivetime.

Gino seems to wants the taxpayer to pay for everything, it would appear.

Get yer self stoned up and John Q will foot the bill !!

Seems to me to that’s Gino’s outlook?

Very poor performance.

I find him sincere, especially on the cannabis issue.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I find him sincere, especially on the cannabis issue.

Wellllll....... very very poor performer.

May well be sincere but more than sincerity is needed to cut the mustard.

Doesn’t see the big picture at all and the knock on effects.

Big ‘ Mom and Apple Pie ‘ politics aficionado.

Some corporate head speaking to Mary Wilson at the moment about her charity which represents charities, and unable to give a good explanation why there needs to be more than one charity representing charities, and denying that there is duplication all across the charity industry.

Complete cock-up of an interview, she doesn't have any facts or figures, and defending six-figure salaries for charity CEOs because "we never complain about CEOs in the private sector" so why should charities be any different? Galling.

I'm all for some charities, especially the likes of Fr Peter McVerry Trust and Hospice -- because although the latter CEO is paid above 100k, it's a huge organisation that actually provides a quasi-medical service that is completely necessary. Have no time for people who treat smaller charities like cash-cows, when those charities don't do much in practice, and are a financial mess. Amnesty Ireland (not international) is a perfect example.

Some corporate head speaking to Mary Wilson at the moment about her charity which represents charities, and unable to give a good explanation why there needs to be more than one charity representing charities, and denying that there is duplication all across the charity industry.

Complete cock-up of an interview, she doesn't have any facts or figures, and defending six-figure salaries for charity CEOs because "we never complain about CEOs in the private sector" so why should charities be any different? Galling.

I'm all for some charities, especially the likes of Fr Peter McVerry Trust and Hospice -- because although the latter CEO is paid above 100k, it's a huge organisation that actually provides a quasi-medical service that is completely necessary. Have no time for people who treat smaller charities like cash-cows, when those charities don't do much in practice, and are a financial mess. Amnesty Ireland (not international) is a perfect example.

Got the same impression myself.

Hopefully still on topic... that crap down in Cabra Bridge is pure rubbish.

Bunch of uneducated people(their own admission) riding the Council ragged.

Winnie and Lily riding the council ragged... and their own admission.”I can barely write my own name”

What the fuhherke kind of people are running these councils, all afraid, it seems to come on air and speak up for John Q Taxpayer.

What’s going on here.

Got the same impression myself.

Agree. Interviewee came across very poorly

Advertisement