Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Border Poll discussion

1505152535456»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

blanch152 wrote: »
    Irish culture and language were essentially dead by the middle of the nineteenth century. The revival of the Irish language and culture driven by the Gaelic League and others towards the end of the nineteenth century was essentially and anti-British counter culture to the culture of the times.

Ironic to see the juxtaposition now.

So now trying to rescue a culture decimated by malevolent British colonialism is anti-British? What a hateful position to adopt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

blanch152 wrote: »
    Irish culture and language were essentially dead by the middle of the nineteenth century. The revival of the Irish language and culture driven by the Gaelic League and others towards the end of the nineteenth century was essentially and anti-British counter culture to the culture of the times.

Ironic to see the juxtaposition now.

What is it you dislike about the Irish language and culture Blanch? You can't seem to help to help yourself from taking negative pops at it, as evidenced in numerous occasions on the site, across numerous thread's.

As a keen GAA spectator I find this quite odd tbh, someone with a keen interest in Gaelic Athletic Association sports seemingly has a strong dislike to the Gaelic Language.

Is this a case that because Nationallists and or Republicans are pushing for a language act (as are all of the political party's in the north except the DUP) that you feel compelled to push against it and denounce it as every opportunity?

Now I'm not saying that anyone interested in GAA has to be a keen advocate for the development and resurgence of the language, but I will say is that in my experience in my GAA circles, people tend to either broadly support Irish language development, or, at the very least be indifferent.

Is this simply a case of because SF are behind the language act, just like a dog cannot help itself from wagging his tail when he sees his master, you too have to be seen to oppose it? .

Tis mighty odd tbh.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Locking this thread since the previous mod warning was widely ignored.

Well done to everyone who managed to turn this into Yet Another Northern Ireland Thread (TM)

Mod Note

One person has been banned for personal abuse. More broadly, the thread has veered off topic from a border poll into the usual Northern Ireland related trench warfare.

If you can't have a civil conversation, don't post here.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement