Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steinhart Pilot or similar

• 28-03-2019 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

I have been looking at the Nav B-Uhr for a while as i want to add a pilot to the collection. Any of the guys on here own one?

Or indeed if anyone has any sugestions for a pilot around 300-500, 44 mm or less

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭theheavyhitter

55Percent wrote: »
    I have been looking at the Nav B-Uhr for a while as i want to add a pilot to the collection. Any of the guys on here own one?

Or indeed if anyone has any sugestions for a pilot around 300-500, 44 mm or less

Thanks

I have never owned one, as they are not to my taste. But if you do like the Flieger style, then Steinhart's spec cannot be beaten for under 500 Euro.
    Domed sapphire, double AR coated, with élaboré grade SW200/ETA2824-2 movements. My only concern would be how well the gun metal finish lasts?
    Hopefully it would wear to a nice patina, rather than wearing off like PVD coating.
    https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/flieger-watch/nav-b-uhr-44-gun-metal-b-muster.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

55Percent wrote: »

Thanks

It's not a Nav-B, but I have a Steinhart Aviation which is in as-new condition and still under warranty (if you were extremely fussy you might replace the strap). Just ten mins ago I thought about putting it back up on Adverts as it's not really got the wrist time it used to. Let me know if you have any interest in that.

I've got the bug again, thinking of letting the Steinhart, a Longines and my Seiko Samurai go. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭55Percent

Thanks but its a pilot style im after, good luck with your sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

The steinhart is great but at 44mm they can feel very big.
    I believe laco do a flieger under your price range thst would be smaller. Laco also have a bit of lineage, being the name of one of the original watch makers for the German Air force, if such a fact is of interest to you.

It's still 42mm, but thst 2 mm smaller makes a big difference.

If you can stretch to it, a stowa flieger is worth every cent. Beats all the competition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭55Percent

I had actually found the Laco site by accident yesterday and i really like what ive seen so far.
    44mm on the Steinhart probably is a little to big for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I love the Steinhart Ocean series and the Racetimer but for some reason their pilot watches just don't grab me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    I love the Steinhart Ocean series and the Racetimer but for some reason their pilot watches just don't grab me.

I'm of the same opinion, I'd have a Laco pilot before a Steinhart one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,258 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The Laco Aachen was my daily beater for few years. Really enjoyed wearing it.

Picked up the Steinhart Nav-B-Uhr a couple of years ago and never wore the Laco again. Don't get me wrong, the Laco was nice, but the Steinhart is better in every single way within that price range. So many little things like the Steinhart's hacking second hand, or the Laco having a very loud rotor you can hear every time you move your arm, the Laco's second hand was far less 'sweeping' than the Steinhart and stuttered..

If you are getting one, just be wary of the crown - it does stick out quite a bit. (I've developed a nice callus as a result!)

The Steinhart felt big moving from the Laco, but after a few days it looks 'right' and the Laco looks too small.

Comparison photo I took before selling the Laco.

KCh8a4R.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Hearing a rotor when my arm moves would drive me mental, you reckon it was that particular watch or common among Laco's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,258 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That particular Laco has a Miyota movement that's known for creating this noise.
    I got used to it after a while and would only really notice it in a quiet room - still, watches should be making a ticking noise and that's it :D

More expensive Laco watches like the Paderborn use a Swiss ETA so I doubt they have that problem. You're already getting an ETA from Steinhart though with their B Uhr and it's half the price of a Paderborn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

It's not a Nav-B, but I have a Steinhart Aviation which is in as-new condition and still under warranty (if you were extremely fussy you might replace the strap). Just ten mins ago I thought about putting it back up on Adverts as it's not really got the wrist time it used to. Let me know if you have any interest in that.

I've got the bug again, thinking of letting the Steinhart, a Longines and my Seiko Samurai go. :o

How much were you thinking of getting for the aviation? Is it on the leather factory strap?

Advertisement