Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning permission external insulation?

Options
  • 16-04-2019 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We just bought a house and are picking up the key this Friday.

The BER is pretty low so we are looking at getting windows straight away as they are all single glazed and need replacing due to damp etc.

We want to get the external insulation done, we had a look around the houses beside us and it doesn’t appear that anyone else have got it done so was wondering if we need planning permission then to get this done?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

No, providing it's not a protected structure or in a conservation area. It falls under general repair or maintenance which doesn't need planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Perfect thanks a mill.

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    No, providing it's not a protected structure or in a conservation area. It falls under general repair or maintenance which doesn't need planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

I'd be a little more cautious, as no one beside you has gotten external insulation fitted/applied it may be judged to be inconsistent with the character of neighbouring houses. A Section 5 declaration may be advisable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I would disagree. It doesn’t fall under repair or maintenance.
    There is no specific exemption for external wall insulation at the moment.

What you are relying on is the exemption that allows alterations that do not materially effect the streetscape.

So if the row of houses are all red brick facing then the EWI you choose will have to be matching that. You can’t go to a plain render IMO.

Once it matches I to the current streetscape you are fine IMO.
    development consisting of the carrying out of works for the maintenance, improvement or other alteration of any structure, being works which affect only the interior of the structure or which do not materially affect the external appearance of the structure so as to render the appearance inconsistent with the character of the structure or of neighbouring structures;

Would I contact the local council first before doing anything? I was just a bit concerned nobody else around has done it, as so many houses are getting it done these days but none on my road from what I can see
    kceire wrote: »
    I would disagree. It doesn’t fall under repair or maintenance.
    There is no specific exemption for external wall insulation at the moment.

What you are relying on is the exemption that allows alterations that do not materially effect the streetscape.

So if the row of houses are all red brick facing then the EWI you choose will have to be matching that. You can’t go to a plain render IMO.

Once it matches I to the current streetscape you are fine IMO.

• Advertisement

bri007 wrote: »
    Would I contact the local council first before doing anything? I was just a bit concerned nobody else around has done it, as so many houses are getting it done these days but none on my road from what I can see

Depends on what the front of your house looks like now and what finish it will have afterwards.

PM me the address and I’ll take a look if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Hi all,

The BER is pretty low so we are looking at getting windows straight away as they are all single glazed and need replacing due to damp etc.

We want to get the external insulation done, we had a look around the houses beside us and it doesn’t appear that anyone else have got it done so was wondering if we need planning permission then to get this done?

Thanks in advance.

If going EWI, do not replace the windows now.
    Wait for the EWI and get new windows that hang on the outside leaf of the walls just as the EWI is being done, windows first then EWI: search here for member SAS who did this about 10 years ago. Great job, if you get a builder who understands thermal bridging

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Our surveyor told us to get the windows first and get the windows placed further out to allow for the insulation so the windows won’t look to deep inside when the EWInis done?
    If going EWI, do not replace the windows now.
    Wait for the EWI and get new windows that hang on the outside leaf of the walls just as the EWI is being done, windows first then EWI: search here for member SAS who did this about 10 years ago. Great job, if you get a builder who understands thermal bridging

PM sent thanks :)
    Depends on what the front of your house looks like now and what finish it will have afterwards.

PM me the address and I’ll take a look if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭nw5iytvs0lf1uz

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

I bought a house with very poor ber
    I took up the concrete floor inside and put down insulation and then concreted
    This has really helped
    I went for internal dry lining and while this option reduces room size i think it’s a better option then external

• Advertisement

is there much of a difference price wise for internal insulation?
    I bought a house with very poor ber
    I took up the concrete floor inside and put down insulation and then concreted
    This has really helped
    I went for internal dry lining and while this option reduces room size i think it’s a better option then external

is there much of a difference price wise for internal insulation?

Internal dry lining is a lot cheaper but you will lose 4 inches per external wall
    There might be some issues around some doors and stairs but if you go with external insulation get someone very good because if done wrong you might have serious problems with damp

Thanks,

I was getting quotes of €12,000-€14,000 with the grant for the EWI. I will look into the internal insulation. Is that on all internal walls insulation or just on outer internal walls
    Internal dry lining is a lot cheaper but you will lose 4 inches per external wall
    There might be some issues around some doors and stairs but if you go with external insulation get someone very good because if done wrong you might have serious problems with damp

Thanks,

I was getting quotes of €12,000-€14,000 with the grant for the EWI. I will look into the internal insulation. Is that on all internal walls insulation or just on outer internal walls

Outer internal walls only but they will plaster finish
    Some plasterers will quote for the internal for cash work
    You won’t need the grants if you follow

Perfect thanks a mill for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

I would disagree. It doesn’t fall under repair or maintenance. There is no specific exemption for external wall insulation at the moment. What you are relying on is the exemption that allows alterations that do not materially effect the streetscape. So if the row of houses are all red brick facing then the EWI you choose will have to be matching that. You can’t go to a plain render IMO. Once it matches I to the current streetscape you are fine IMO.
    development consisting of the carrying out of works for the maintenance, improvement or other alteration of any structure, being works which affect only the interior of the structure or which do not materially affect the external appearance of the structure so as to render the appearance inconsistent with the character of the structure or of neighbouring structures;
    Yep that one kceire as there isn't a specific one. I'd be very critical of any Council that would turn down a S5 declaration, in effect making someone apply for pp to better insulate a house. I've done one and successfully argued that.

Yep that one kceire as there isn't a specific one. I'd be very critical of any Council that would turn down a S5 declaration, in effect making someone apply for pp to better insulate a house. I've done one and successfully argued that.

Councils don't "turn down" S5 Applications. They simply tell you whether the works as described require planning or not.

Anyway, based on the OP's PM, EWI wouldn't require planning in my opinion as the finish will match what's already there.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Welcome to boards.ie

Please read the forum charter

We obey the law here, and won’t be discussing the black economy

So I’m still contemplating getting external insulation over internal insulation.

With regards to internal insulation, we have kitchen all tiled and the bathroom all tiles that leads out to an external wall so I presume they would place new insulation over this and then we would have to get all new tiles etc?

I counted 9 walls that would need insulating, would I get this done for 5-6k?

So I’m still contemplating getting external insulation over internal insulation.

With regards to internal insulation, we have kitchen all tiled and the bathroom all tiles that leads out to an external wall so I presume they would place new insulation over this and then we would have to get all new tiles etc?

I counted 9 walls that would need insulating, would I get this done for 5-6k?

Existing tiles removed.
    Existing plasterboard removed back to bare walls.
    Then new internal insulation so a lot more work that you posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 89tipp91

We are getting external wall insulation done on a semi d built 1934 with brick on the lower half and plaster on the upper half of the front elevation, should we need to contact the council to get permission for the EWI as it will look different to next door and different to the rest of the street, although the other houses are similar vintage-half brick, half plaster , I.e: not edwardian red brick

Are you removing the lower brick finish and replacing with a smooth rendered finish?

Yes, That's what was suggested by the surveyor

Any further thoughts on this?

Any further thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

how about using brick slips to replicate the original wall .

Yes, I think we ll have to go with this option for the lower half

Advertisement