Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWE say Dean Ambrose to leave WWE at end of his contract in April

• 29-01-2019 8:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭

Wow Ambrose leaving according to the torch

I think he's really regressed in ring wise and with a lot dodgy booking thrown in since the shields breakup but he'll be a huge name to get for aew I'm guessing he'll end up there and might be the change he needs to be motivated again

https://twitter.com/PWTorch/status/1090146982243508224?s=19

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If he takes Renee with him when he goes then I can get on board with that.

Nah, Renee is awesome but just badly miscast at the moment. She’s a great interviewer and onscreen talent. But she struggles with commentary. Just need to remember the reason she got that position was cause of how strong she was in others.

As for Dean....that sucks. Reads like he’s done with wrestling, rather than a possible jumper to AEW. Like he’s frustrated with it all and wants out.

Think he’s someone who could and should have been bigger but a mix of never properly pulling the trigger, and fumbling when they kind of did, messed him round.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Never got Ambrose tbh. I don't particularly think he's that talented in the ring, and his promos are bang average. He was grand as part of the Shield but after that I've been incredibly meh on him tbh. It's not a huge loss in all honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

He's probably better off leaving. It's obvious that they had no plans in place for him when he came back other than turn him heel & what he was given he clearly doesn't believe in the character either.
    When they turned him it was done on a whim for the reaction & they had no idea what to do next. They'd ask his wife then why he changed which just served to make her look stupid.
    The big match with Rollins was so bad & when you have a grudge match start off with a collar-and-elbow tie up it goes to show how lost some agents are employed in wrestling. Match should have been a brawl like Jericho vs Naito or Lynch vs Charlotte at Evolution if you need a WWE example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,223 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Every member of the Shield has been horrendously booked. Roman was pushed too hard too fast which caused fans to turn on him. Never forget the boos when he won the Rumble which by rights should have went to Daniel Bryan. The megapush continued but he lost all the big matches. He looked like a loser.

Seth should have been a white hot face coming back from his injury. Instead he's kept as a heel and any momentum built is killed immediately.

Ambrose was the hottest face in the company in 15-16 and should have beaten Rollins in their title feud. Then he built himself back up on Smackdown and had a great feud with AJ, only to be drafted to Raw and wasted again. The feud with Rollins was terrible. He started as a calculating heel that felt justified in his actions. Then McMahon wanted to add a humorous side so he brings in Bane masks and fake needles. All three deserve so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Necro wrote: »
    Never got Ambrose tbh. I don't particularly think he's that talented in the ring, and his promos are bang average. He was grand as part of the Shield but after that I've been incredibly meh on him tbh. It's not a huge loss in all honesty.
    He's below average in the ring imo. And don't get me started on the overselling and cringeworthy facial expressions.

Always thought he was decent on the mic though, and had a good look before he shaved the hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Necro wrote: »

I liked him as Jon Moxley on the independent scene and when he started at FCW. When I first saw him I thought he was going to be a big star one day. He was like a modern day Brian Pillman, but his run in WWE has been kind've cringeworthy. Apart from his work in The Shield, he has been hot and cold throughout his time on the WWE roster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,906 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Sad too see him leave (if true) and it will end the shield legacy to an extent

I wonder we he going to say something about this before being interrupted by Nia Jax on raw ??

He might be like y2j and come back eventually. Ambrose will doing get into the HOF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

ambrose for me is just one of those guys who can be great on the mic when allowed but falls down in ring. lf this was seth there would be a lot of matches id be dying to see with ambrose im like sure him vs omega would probably be cool but im not dying to see it

i think that cringy awkward stone cold podcast is where he lost wwe completely on him being the top guy cause he had the crowd for sure i mean listen to him cash in mitb

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

wow. I cant post the link but WWE have released a statement on Ambrose as per the wrestling observer- they've confirmed he wont be renewing his contract in April

Although... could this be a work???

No way it’s a work. Not with that statement.

Gonna cut this into its own thread now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Where’s the statement?

https://twitter.com/WONF4W/status/1090358137973104648

WWE statement on Dean Ambrose: "Dean Ambrose (Jonathan Good) will not be renewing his contract with WWE when it expires in April. We are grateful and appreciative of all that Dean has given to WWE and our fans. We wish him well and hope that one day Dean will return to WWE.”

If I'm Cody, I'm throwing everything I've got at him. Regardless of what you think of his ability, his name value would be huge for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,300 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Have they issued a statement like that before? And just about 2 months out.
    Though maybe just trying to get ahead of things, as much as they can once the news got out

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

This is weird.

Dean Ambrose VS Nia Jax at Mania now? *Only half joking*

Not that I can remember anyway. Usually only when someone is gone.

I guess when they realized it was out there, they tried to get out in front of it.

Seems so nice compared to there usually statements that im almost connvinced its a work now

I wonder if hes actually planning to leave wrestling like a few people have speculated a d there trying to stay on good terms

sky88 wrote: »
    Seems so nice compared to there usually statements that im almost connvinced its a work now

It might be he’s assured them he’s not jumping to AEW, but is just straight up leaving the industry, so they are confident enough to be nice about it.

Or it’s a set up for a HHH feud, after Raw :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Interesting to see what they do with him now. Off TV and act like he doesn't exist or give him a goodbye feud where he puts someone over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I'm not buying it. They sowed the seeds of something last night with the interactions between Dean and HHH, and Ambrose's interrupted post-match piece. Not sure exactly where it leads to, but I'm not taking that statement at face value.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Ambrose is suddenly relevant. They should have him face DBryan at mania and make people really wonder whats going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,906 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

His wife will get an on slaught of questions about "where's Dean"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,538 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Maybe he is taking time off to have a baby :P like Ronda

His Bane heel gimmick is bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,891 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The first member of Punk’s AEW faction. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What's Dwayne Ambrosia doing in the Impact Zone?!
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I'm not buying it. They sowed the seeds of something last night with the interactions between Dean and HHH, and Ambrose's interrupted post-match piece. Not sure exactly where it leads to, but I'm not taking that statement at face value.

Ditto. I find it hard to believe they would let a guy who is looking for the exit door get a shot in verbally on Hunter of all people.

Also would mean jeopardising his wife's spot in her role on TV unless the plan is to work apart, which would seem problematic on the face of it.

Usual WWE practice if a guy was leaving would be to reduce his importance for several months, and then give the 'We wish him all the best in his future endeavours' spiel. Why give a big song and dance like this? (Unless perhaps it was for someone like Undertaker.)

I don't think he'd be a big loss anyway. I've found him disappointing as a heel, plus he wouldn't be able to take his name with him. Not sure Jon Moxley is going to make any waves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

No loss, never any interest in him except when Jake Roberts put the snake on him, he actually showed a bit of personality that night

WWEhave now directly tweeted out the confirmation themselves too.

MNG mentioned how they usually treat guys who are leaving, but given he got booted from the Rumble by an NXT guy, they closed off his feud with Rollins and they had Nia Jax basically humiliate him too, I’d lean towards this being legit.

Yeah, he had a spot with HHH but that’s it. I’d consider it a work if it hadn’t been broken by two independent news sites first, who wouldn’t usually want to get involved with a work.

Edit: speculation on Reddit seems to be the reason they are announcing this is cause he won’t be on TV again, and they are letting everyone know why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Fair play to Deano. Could have easily had a job for life hanging around to do what they saw fit.

So Renee is Renee Good.

Will Renee do a Brandi and follow her husband.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I'm a little confused as to why this is seemingly being reported and taken by everyone as being 100% confirmed legit. This is PW and this is the internet, I was expecting far more people be they commenting on it or reporting it saying that there is at least a little chance of it being a work.

I wrote this on the Raw thread before this got split from the news thread
    Also despite it being brought up in a different thread I wanted to respond to the Dean Ambrose stuff here to avoid spoilers... Isn't the contract stuff being discussed a work being fed to the PWtorch and the like? immediately we have Dean reference when he signed for WWE on Raw in a segment that has me more interested in him than almost anything they have done with him in ages. His interaction with HHH was good and him still being in the ring when they returned from commercial and selling how the loss affected him stood out from the norm. It was understated but for me last night did more for Dean than I was expecting even if I am not looking forward for anything Dean related going into Mania season yet. Maybe they can go full Pillman for the lunatic fringe

Now they release an official statement saying his contract ends in April... Mania is April 8th. They never advertise a release 2 months in advance like that.

If he's leaving why put him on Raw at all?
    Why let him get digs in on HHH?
    Why have him still in the ring after the break and end of the segment? and in doing so allow him to mention his contract on air? could have gotten him out of the ring during the break or cut his mic if they didn't want his contract being part of an on air angle.

April 8th, HHH vs Dean Ambrose at Wrestlemania

just me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It does remind me of the build to Punk's match with Cena at Money in the Bank 8 years ago. It was stated publicly in the weeks before their match that Punk's contract was up in July and that he was leaving. That's the last time I can remember them making a big song and dance about someone going.

I also recall when that Punk storyline happened many were disappointed that they didn't have Punk pop up at various places with the title. Back then they weren't keen on engaging with other companies but we've seen them nowadays being willing to work with places in England and whatnot. Is it possible Ambrose is going to maybe win the IC Title, "leave", only to then start making appearances at various promotions with the strap?

Is this the Punk angle 2.0?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

It does remind me of the build to Punk's match with Cena at Money in the Bank 8 years ago. It was stated publicly in the weeks before their match that Punk's contract was up in July and that he was leaving. That's the last time I can remember them making a big song and dance about someone going.

I also recall when that Punk storyline happened many were disappointed that they didn't have Punk pop up at various places with the title. Back then they weren't keen on engaging with other companies but we've seen them nowadays being willing to work with places in England and whatnot. Is it possible Ambrose is going to maybe win the IC Title, "leave", only to then start making appearances at various promotions with the strap?

Is this the Punk angle 2.0?

I prefer to think of it as Brian Pillman 2.0 considering he is already the Lunatic Fringe/Loose Cannon but maybe the WWE can mix the two and take advantage of all the IWC's AEW fueled speculation at the current time.

Build to a Mania match vs HHH which if Dean wins he can get his release. Have him win and then "leave" as you put it while really still being a WWE guy just finally being an interesting version of Dean Ambrose, something the WWE have failed at since the Shield (original) for me.

I'm actually confused by how many people are reporting this without even contemplating the potential of a work though. For example I jst listened to an hour long podcast where they spent a good bit of time talking about it but they never once questioned it.

This whole thing could be a work I've read in a few places.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

This whole thing could be a work I've read in a few places.

I just read that’s it wasn’t a work on the wrestling observer site.

I think we are giving wwe too much credit by thinking it’s a work. The statement was too official and there’s no way they would put that much effort into a storyline especially when Vince changes things so much on the fly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭mcdaids69

didnt he say "he has something serious to say" before nia jax came into ring?with the ronda leaving headlines last week they do have it in front of them to mess a bit with storys.wouldnt surprise me if their watching from distance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Hope it isn't because other than Punk that I'm leaving thing never helped anyone.
    I'd argue if Punk did take a break from WWE then he'd have been better off and likely still wrestling as he looked burnt out.
    Ziggler was saying he's taking a break and cam back at the Rumble to the reaction of oh....he's back...great :rolleyes:
    Owens "quit" for like a week last year and nobody cared either.
    Ambrose needs to get away; a lot of guys have been in that spot and stayed but never went anywhere. Just to freshen up his character (which he obviously hates). WWE are saying they will make an effort on various things; tag team wrestling, underutilized talent, "fresh faces" but historically a lot of it proves to be superficial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I suppose for most of us it comes down to "i'll believe it when I see it", but yeah if it turns out to be part of a storyline then it will be a total flop. Which is why WWE should avoid doing angles like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Ambrose in 2019 seems to be trying a CM Punk of 2011

I can believe him wanting to go after his fair dud of a return and WWE even announcing it could be them trying to get ahead of the questions that would follow should Ambrose not appear on TV for the next couple months

The only thing that has me thinking that this a work is what he tried to say before Nia interrupted him on Raw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Ambrose in 2019 seems to be trying a CM Punk of 2011

I'm shocked that the Summer of Punk was 8 years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I'm shocked that the Summer of Punk was 8 years ago!

Nah 2011 was only what 2 maybe 3 years ago right........

Daniel Bryan's Wrestlemania main event was bloody 5 years ago, feels a world away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,300 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's really their way to plant a mole in AEW. He'll also attempt to sabotage it, until he's found out and leads to AEW trying to invade WWE all leading to the reveal that AEW is actually owned by WWE all this time

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    It's really their way to plant a mole in AEW. He'll also attempt to sabotage it, until he's found out and leads to AEW trying to invade WWE all leading to the reveal that AEW is actually owned by WWE all this time

Just like Russo in wcw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Sky Sports getting involved in this now:

https://www.skysports.com/amp/wwe/news/14203/11624978/dean-ambroses-wwe-exit-is-it-for-real-or-just-the-latest-pro-wrestling-storyline

I'm starting to lean towards work. Monday will tell us either way. If he's not in Raw he won't be again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,538 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Shield's Final Chapter this Sunday on WWE Network

Advertisement