Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi Auto advice

Options
  • 05-02-2019 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

I’ve my heart set on getting a new semi auto and giving my own over and under to a friend. I’m drawn towards the more synthetic looking stuff and quite like the look of the Browning Maxus in Carbon fiber but how it would wear over time worries me. I’ve seen on forums that it can peel off the receiver so it’s put me right off. Can anyone with any Benelli’s or Berettas etc tell me how the finish holds up over a good few years of rough shooting? Am I better off sticking with wood and uncoated receiver.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

2nd hand Benelli M3[semi auto /pump combo] About 12 /15 years old.Looks like it left the factory yesterday.But it is a more dull parkerised , black finish rather than a blued finish.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Not an answer to your questions but just a insight.

I've owned a pump action before and currently a semi auto. Now admittedly the auto is a Baikel MP153 not the lightest of the breed, but extremely reliable. The semi is my go to for pigeon decoying, wild foweling and odd bit of vermin control.

A few years back I picked up a nice o/u game gun, itself not a light weight but considerably lighter than the semi or pump for rough shooting. This exclusively has become my rough shooting gun. Nice to shoot and even nicer to carry.

I've had a go at a few other semis (Not sure of models), Hatsan, Browning and Benelli, the Benelli (M1/M2 ?) stood out the most as the lightest gun with out compromising recoil.

I know a lot of lads tote semi autos for rough shooting but just a thought for you to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

391 xtrema 2. Absolute workhorse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Id pick a popular model from a reputable brand where you know the design is proven.
    Id stay away from anything from turkey. For several reasons. But one of them is they often make small changes to designs making it impossible to get parts for certain guns. All guns need parts replaced at some point in their life and semi autos more so than others based simply on the fact there are alot of moving parts.
    The quality from there is also not great for the most part, some are ok. But you are better off investing your money in something that will last and hold its value.
    Id research if the gun is designed to shoot 28g loads if you intend on doing so. Many people expect all semi autos to shoot every load, However the mass and velocity of the bolt will be calculated based on the weight and speed of the average load. Some will design their guns just for 32g loads some for both. There is a reason for this, the velocity of the bolt will be much greater if it is a light bolt when shooting 32g loads. which could cause more wear over time. But some are designed for both. Its just something to keep in mind.
    The main thing that causes malfunctions though is lads buying the cheapest cartridges available and expecting them to function like a more expensive better quality one. Even though it may be the law in the country where the cartridges are produced that they all fall within the CIP specs many do not or they are made from thin, cheap materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭mcbain087

Browning Maxus in carbon fibre is very hard wearing but it is not the same finish as camo coating, all makes that have the camo wrap coating will get some wear over time.
    Just be aware that the Maxus in carbon fibre does not have the magazine cut off like the Maxus one composite. If you are concerned about wear on the finish just get the composite model (both have same features less the magazine cut off in carbon model which was designed with clay shooting in mind according to the Browning site).
    Best of luck with your choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

mcbain087 wrote: »
    Browning Maxus in carbon fibre is very hard wearing but it is not the same finish as camo coating, all makes that have the camo wrap coating will get some wear over time.
    Just be aware that the Maxus in carbon fibre does not have the magazine cut off like the Maxus one composite. If you are concerned about wear on the finish just get the composite model (both have same features less the magazine cut off in carbon model which was designed with clay shooting in mind according to the Browning site).
    Best of luck with your choice.
    I think I’ll stay away from the carbon even though I love the look of it. I’d be kicking myself if I bought it and it began to peel. The composite just looks too boring. I’m headed to the Shooting Show in Birmingham next week so I’ll have a chance to hold a few and see what they are like in person. The Ultimate partridge version looks quite nice too and so does the A5 in Ultimate partridge and I quite like the quirky humpback look too.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭johnogog88

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    2nd hand Benelli M3[semi auto /pump combo] About 12 /15 years old.Looks like it left the factory yesterday.But it is a more dull parkerised , black finish rather than a blued finish.

Are u selling?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

johnogog88 wrote: »
    Are u selling?

Nope!😊

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Go for a Beretta A400 or a Benelli woodcock if your only going to shoot game.

Advertisement