Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Grand Prix - Hockenheim

Options
  • 26-02-2019 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a quick question about the German Grand Prix - Hockenheim

We are trying to organise a trip for my 2 uncles who turn 60 this year and are thinking of sending them to the Hockenheim GP.

The package deal sounds really good and includes tickets to the track for Fri, Sat and Sun.

The package does not include transfers from the hotel to the track. The hotel is in Dramstadt and from looking online it is about an hour and a half away on a train.

So the questions is has anyone done this trip before and if yes do you know of any local transport options as 3 hour round trip each day on the train sounds like a pain and probably expensive.

Thanks is advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

I was there last year.

I had a car rented so we drove to the track daily, but even at that, I was staying about a 20 minute drive away.

Just had a look at the map, and Darmstadt is ridiculously far away, is there no chance of them staying somewhere closer?
    Heidelberg and Speyer are the 2 closest places to the circuit, I'd recommend these if possible.

Hockenheim is right beside a motorway so it's well serviced by the road, and as far as I know there are shuttle services from Heidelberg.
    I'm not even sure there's a train station in Hockenheim town, so the train idea will still be awkward.

You should look into booking it all separately - flights, GP tickets and accommodation in one of the above named places.
    Otherwise that commute is going to be an absolute ballache over 3 days.

I've been to a good few GPs now, and am always wrecked after a day at the track, the last thing you want to be facing is that kinda commute, and I'm half the age of your uncles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

ratedR wrote: »
    I was there last year.

I had a car rented so we drove to the track daily, but even at that, I was staying about a 20 minute drive away.

Just had a look at the map, and Darmstadt is ridiculously far away, is there no chance of them staying somewhere closer?
    Heidelberg and Speyer are the 2 closest places to the circuit, I'd recommend these if possible.

Hockenheim is right beside a motorway so it's well serviced by the road, and as far as I know there are shuttle services from Heidelberg.
    I'm not even sure there's a train station in Hockenheim town, so the train idea will still be awkward.

You should look into booking it all separately - flights, GP tickets and accommodation in one of the above named places.
    Otherwise that commute is going to be an absolute ballache over 3 days.

I've been to a good few GPs now, and am always wrecked after a day at the track, the last thing you want to be facing is that kinda commute, and I'm half the age of your uncles.

I looked at Hockenheim for this year a few months back, and iirc there is a train station there. But not sure is it serviced by the OPs town.
    I agree though, that's a he'll of a journey each day.
    Op it's probably no help, but we had a 60yr old in our group camping last year, and he wants to do it again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Darmstadt is a nice enough place, I lived there for 7 years, but it wouldn't be my choice of a place to stay if I was going to Hockenheim. As others have said, try Heidelberg. Probably more expensive being very touristy but much closer by and very scenic.

Advertisement