Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

?Mobility scooter? medical card

• 21-08-2018 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Asking info please. My mobility is getting lower and I am getting more and more limited if I need an outing even down the lane here. The resulting pain later is very bad too.

Was looking vaguely at mobility scooters online and read a connection with the medical card? is there in fact help? No way could i buy .

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,902 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think you should contact Citizens Advice or your local health centre for definite information, there may be help but it will be down to assessment and your Public Health Nurse is going to the the main person to talk to.

Would your house be suitable for a scooter? Could you get it into the house, is there enough space to store it? They also need maintenance, battery care etc.

In theory the place should be awash with mobility scooters as no-one seems to want second hand ones (we could not give one away that had belonged to an uncle, nothing wrong with it, that was in the UK). I am not sure what the situation is here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

We are looking at one for my dad. Rather than wait for the HSE, who I think are providing a great service for him (cant fault the carers or occupational therapist playing a blinder).

They start about €400 on adverts second hand but I hear they can be a lot of trouble with the batteries (Open to correction).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We are looking at one for my dad. Rather than wait for the HSE, who I think are providing a great service for him (cant fault the carers or occupational therapist playing a blinder).

They start about €400 on adverts second hand but I hear they can be a lot of trouble with the batteries (Open to correction).

Yes that was my interpretation too.

My situation has changed in that my car, which lives over the water, is now untenable for the mainland so will come over as an "island car".

Cannot afford to replace it so am becoming islandbound. Interesting the challenges life throws at us. Ilived on another far flung island years ago and the last five years I was there I never went off island

Good luck with your quest!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

I'm on my third mobility scooter (a Pride Colt). Never had battery problems. But I recommend you get the heaviest (in amps) that you can afford... this for range.

If you wait to get one from HSE don't hold your breath (hope thats not a pun on anyone) Then if they do consider you need one and can't afford one, I hear from those that did that you have to do a driving tests for the HSE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

I would be careful buying second hand scooters for a few reasons. Firstly as mentioned the batteries can give trouble but this is mainly down to people not charging them properly and they can be quite expensive to replace depending on the size of the battery.
    For example a mid-size scooter such as the Pride Colt would need 2 x 12v 45amp batteries and this could cost €300 to replace.

Secondly you could get lucky with a used scooter but if anything goes wrong with it then it will be difficult to find someone to repair it. Most mobility scooter retailers (myself included) won't repair scooters they haven't sold themselves.
    Also scooters models are sometimes discontinued and this can make finding parts for them difficult.

If anyone has any questions about mobility scooters either technical or otherwise they can post here or message me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement