Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Primary medical cert

• 20-11-2017 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi my wife has Ms for over 14 years and has never claimed for anything sadly her mobility has gotten worse and now we need to reluctantly claim for benefits for example the car grant for disabled people and for a parking permit is it difficult to get a primary medical cert in Ireland I read the rules and regulations to get this cert it says you must you must have no use of one leg or both legs etc but my wife is able to walk very slowly and has very little feeling in her legs she is unable
    to drive now and I must drive her everywhere she must be watched and can never be left unaided in case she loses her balance and Falls she needs to be helped into the passenger seat due to due to loss of power on her legs she has about 20% power on her legs she can walk small distances but as you know with m.s. this can change from day to day ... As it's a very unpredictable disease.... If anybody has gone through the primary medical cert examination please reply below with there any information would be very helpful thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,902 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Has she been to her gp and asked if he will recommend her for one? My husband got a disabled driver/passenger card even though he didn't specifically have any problems with his legs, but because of his terminal lung disease was unable to walk more than about 5 or so yards at a time.

I have just been looking for the form and it is obviously not available on line as it has to be filled in by the gp, I think that is the route to go OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

I'd recommend getting the parking permit first as its pretty straightforward. You get the form from the Irish wheelchair association and your GP has to sign it and detail your level of disability. To get a primary medical cert you have to fill in a two page form that is available at your nearest primary medical centre. Send it in and a doctor who works for the HSE will assess you for the cert. It's handy if you can tell the doctor you have a wheelchair and require it for transport even if you don't use it every day. A letter from a doctor confirming your condition might also be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭tony melia

Hi i hold a primary and find it impossible to find any information about buying a used car from nth ireland .What do i need to do before i buy and do i pay vat in nth ireland do i need permission from revenue before hand and if and when i purchase am i exempt from vrt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭lulu1

tony melia wrote: »
    Hi i hold a primary and find it impossible to find any information about buying a used car from nth ireland .What do i need to do before i buy and do i pay vat in nth ireland do i need permission from revenue before hand and if and when i purchase am i exempt from vrt

Not too sure about buying from Northern Ireland but I'm sure whatever garage you buy from will be able to advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

lulu1 wrote: »
    Not too sure about buying from Northern Ireland but I'm sure whatever garage you buy from will be able to advise.

OP try the motoring forum here? I seem to have seen something there. I brought a car in from the UK when I came here and it was fairly straightforward dealing with the Revenue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement