Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plex failing to stream certain media

• 27-03-2019 8:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭

Hope someone with more experience could guide me to the right direction.

Had Plex server happily running for number of months, suddenly discover that is failing to play some files to TV's(x3 Samsung, different models) or phone/tablet(Android).

Playing OK all media files on PC's(Firefox, IE11).

Just week ago i was watching these, "unsupported file format" now.
    Files in Q are MKV container, but formats vary (HEVC/Opus, AVC/AC-3, etc)
    Same time successfully playing other MKV's on TV's (phone: "Streaming this media is unsupported", but cat think if it ever worked). Transcoding happens on these, no transcoding - no play on others.

No issues with MP4 on any devices, however, not fancy to convert 50-60% of library.

LAN playback only, browser, IP:port, no app involved.

Server running on Win8.1, VM 8core/8Gb RAM(can increase) - don't see hardware being issue.

There was no changes done on server prior to issues floated out, Plex auto-updates disabled.

Updated to latest version(1.15.2.793) - no help.

Ideas?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Update.

Installed Firefox on Samsung phone - all MKV playing no problem.

Appear Samsung/Chrome to blame.

Still need resolution as cannot change browser on TV's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Why are you playing in a browser on a TV? You are better off to use the app or failing that use Kodi as it supports absolutely every format.

Thanks for responce.
    You can call me paranoied, but trying to reduce variation of apps in use.
    Initially DLNA was the target, however, this proove having own limitations with MKV .

Don't have explanation, but browser playback on TV''s resumed OK now - glitch? Playback MKV on android devices still over FF only.

Thanks

Thanks for responce.
    You can call me paranoied, but trying to reduce variation of apps in use.
    Initially DLNA was the target, however, this proove having own limitations with MKV .

Don't have explanation, but browser playback on TV''s resumed OK now - glitch? Playback MKV on android devices still over FF only.

Thanks

The beauty of the apps is that they direct play absolutely everything over http, no need to cause the server to transcode. I even advise my Emby users to upgrade from Chromecast to any Android box/Fire Stick for this reason.

Thanks, but...

less subscriptions, less exposure to spam, hack, etc.

MS outlook.com has been hacked, what to talk about some app server.

• Advertisement

Thanks, but...

less subscriptions, less exposure to spam, hack, etc.

MS outlook.com has been hacked, what to talk about some app server.

Not sure what you're on about. You use a Plex server, why not use the Plex app? Plex authentication takes place on the Plex website not locally so you already have an account and info there

Not sure what you're on about. You use a Plex server, why not use the Plex app? Plex authentication takes place on the Plex website not locally so you already have an account and info there
    ...Unless I use Plex under some irrelevant, phantom account that has no personal detail whatsoever. No authentication required on local network.

Obviously you aware of "permissions required" on apps

Downloading and installing app potentially exposes your identity as android device owner (email, phone nr, contacts, storage, etc..) ... paranoia :D

From nowadays history, how many reputable databases has been hacked?
    Adobe, eBay, LinkedIN, outlook.com, ..., list go on. How many hacks have not been discovered or published?

Best respect to my privacy - my details not there, despite whatever promises most reputable and "trusted" company would make.

However, this already out of topic...

...Unless I use Plex under some irrelevant, phantom account that has no personal detail whatsoever. No authentication required on local network.

Obviously you aware of "permissions required" on apps

Downloading and installing app potentially exposes your identity as android device owner (email, phone nr, contacts, storage, etc..) ... paranoia :D

From nowadays history, how many reputable databases has been hacked?
    Adobe, eBay, LinkedIN, outlook.com, ..., list go on. How many hacks have not been discovered or published?

Best respect to my privacy - my details not there, despite whatever promises most reputable and "trusted" company would make.

However, this already out of topic...

Don't give it the permissions then. It's Android, you have that control. I have both Plex and Emby installed on my phone neither have been granted any permissions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Your "Smart" TV will be dumb by christmas anyways, when such units are released the RISK chips onboard are already generations old.

Get a chromecast, cast to it, when its old get another one for another €30. TVs should be like monitors, a display. Leave the smarts to the input devices.

ED E wrote: »
    Your "Smart" TV will be dumb by christmas anyways, when such units are released the RISK chips onboard are already generations old.

Get a chromecast, cast to it, when its old get another one for another €30. TVs should be like monitors, a display. Leave the smarts to the input devices.

If you are trying to avoid transcoding in Plex/Emby you are better with a Fire stick/Android box if you have any media in mkv containers.
    https://www.videosolo.com/tutorials/chromecast-mkv.html

• Advertisement

Thanks for your input folks.

Advertisement