Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building Reg Breach

• 19-02-2020 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I purchased a new housing development in Dublin and have some concerns with breaches on the building regulations.

I have emailed the Developer asking for clarification on what I believe are the breaches of the building regs but havent got a response.

Do I need to engage a Chartered Building Surveyor or Solicitor to act on my behalf or what's the best approach on this?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Depends on the breaches and what you want as the outcome.
    I would seek legal advice as I’d fear you would have to go the legal route which can be multiples of the cost to rectify some issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

kceire wrote: »
    Depends on the breaches and what you want as the outcome.
    I would seek legal advice as I’d fear you would have to go the legal route which can be multiples of the cost to rectify some issues.

Without getting into the details it's a breach of the Electrical and Fire regs.

What about notifying the local Building Controls officer? Surely they can do something?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,831 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

What about notifying the local Building Controls officer? Surely they can do something?

house or apartment?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    house or apartment?

It's a house in a new development in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 14 20161116

If you contact a BCO he may point out that you as owner have primary responsibility to fix the issues

• Advertisement

20161116 wrote: »
    If you contact a BCO he may point out that you as owner have primary responsibility to fix the issues

So a developer can build houses below standards and the house owners are left to pick up the tab and bring them up to standards?

Surely that can't be be right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,420 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

So a developer can build houses below standards and the house owners are left to pick up the tab and bring them up to standards?

The council's take in about €15k in levy's per house in Dublin, the least they should be doing is testing every single one is built to standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Doolittle51

If the developer is ignoring you, maybe consider reporting the electrical issues to safe electric and fire safety issues to the local Chief Fire Officer.
    I have no idea how effective this would be, but won't cost you anything. Going down the solicitor route at this stage is a bit premature and will be costly and slow.

Do you mind elaborating on the electrical issues?

It's a house in a new development in Dublin

What's the fire reg beach?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,781 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Do you currently own the house or are you in the process of buying?
    Did you get a survey/snag done on the house?

• Advertisement

If the developer is ignoring you, maybe consider reporting the electrical issues to safe electric and fire safety issues to the local Chief Fire Officer.
    I have no idea how effective this would be, but won't cost you anything. Going down the solicitor route at this stage is a bit premature and will be costly and slow.

There is only 1 socket circuit in the kitchen and no double pole switch on the socket for the washing machine

What's the fire reg beach?

Adjoining wall in the attic isn't correct fire sealed

kippy wrote: »
    Do you currently own the house or are you in the process of buying?
    Did you get a survey/snag done on the house?

Own the house. Yes got it snagged before moving in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,781 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Own the house. Yes got it snagged before moving in

Ok. Just seen the other posts there. Would any of those issues, particularly the electrical ones not have shown up?

Ok. Just seen the other posts there. Would any of those issues, particularly the electrical ones not have shown up?

Depends on the snagger I suppose, some are better than others it would seem but it was missed and only realised after moving in so surely the developer has a responsibility to make it right to comply with Building Regulations? Their Assigned Certifier should have also picked these up before signing to state the house complies with the Building Regulations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭scwazrh

A snagger should have noticed the attic wall not being complete and asked the builder to rectify.
    I’ve never seen a builder or assigned certified check electrics.Once a REC has certified the electrics that’s the end of it .

So for attic issues speak to builder .
    For electrical issues report it to RECI

scwazrh wrote: »
    A snagger should have noticed the attic wall not being complete and asked the builder to rectify.
    I’ve never seen a builder or assigned certified check electrics.Once a REC has certified the electrics that’s the end of it .

So for attic issues speak to builder .
    For electrical issues report it to RECI

As per my original post I am not getting any response from the builder or developer so I am trying to understand my next move.

What will RECI do if I report it to them?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not right at all.
    Send official correspondence to the developer and include the assigned Certifier for the project. Record the delivery while seeking legal advice.
    The council's take in about €15k in levy's per house in Dublin, the least they should be doing is testing every single one is built to standards.

They don’t really anymore. Most levies in new houses are €86 per square meter and most new 3 beds are in the region of 100-120 sq. M.

They cannot test every single house as they don’t have the resources to do that.
    There is only 1 socket circuit in the kitchen and no double pole switch on the socket for the washing machine

Not a building regulation breach per say but could be a RECI regulation. They work to ET101 as a standard.
    Adjoining wall in the attic isn't correct fire sealed

How have you concluded to this. Not saying it’s wrong. Just make sure it’s correct before proceeding. Have it checked out if possible by a surveyor.

Snags would not pick up on these. A snag list is a visual aesthetic inspection. Generally not that invasive.

As per my original post I am not getting any response from the builder or developer so I am trying to understand my next move.

What will RECI do if I report it to them?

If the Builder / developer is not responding your next move is solicitors letter to them .

RECI won’t do a whole lot to be honest but the builder can just fob you off to them as they are the governing body for electrical works compliance so once the builder has the REC cert it’s not his responsibility anymore .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Aren't the engineers who signed off on the house responsible ? ( Ie - if they said it's done right the buck stops with them ,and their insurance ... !! ) And something similar with reci ...
    Otherwise it's priory hall all over again ....

Get an engineer / surveyor in ,tell him or her your concerns , and get a thorough survey ..
    Solicitors letter to the developer and the engineer who signed off (if necessary ...) Maybe contact your neighbours ,if there are fire hazards on one ,there'll be hazards in many ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Gumbo wrote: »
    Not right at all.
    Send official correspondence to the developer and include the assigned Certifier for the project. Record the delivery while seeking legal advice.

They don’t really anymore. Most levies in new houses are €86 per square meter and most new 3 beds are in the region of 100-120 sq. M.

They cannot test every single house as they don’t have the resources to do that.

Not a building regulation breach per say but could be a RECI regulation. They work to ET101 as a standard.

How have you concluded to this. Not saying it’s wrong. Just make sure it’s correct before proceeding. Have it checked out if possible by a surveyor.

Snags would not pick up on these. A snag list is a visual aesthetic inspection. Generally not that invasive.

Would a registered letter be stronger than an email?

Markcheese wrote: »
    Aren't the engineers who signed off on the house responsible ? ( Ie - if they said it's done right the buck stops with them ,and their insurance ... !! ) And something similar with reci ...
    Otherwise it's priory hall all over again ....

Get an engineer / surveyor in ,tell him or her your concerns , and get a thorough survey ..
    Solicitors letter to the developer and the engineer who signed off (if necessary ...) Maybe contact your neighbours ,if there are fire hazards on one ,there'll be hazards in many ..

Yeah I may need to go down that route but that's gonna cost money obviously so hoping to find a resolution without it costing me money if that's possible

Would a registered letter be stronger than an email?

You'd want to be 100% sure of your convictions before going down an official route.

"not properly fire stopped" isn't exactly a recording of the problem. Photographed and measured recordings are

Is there clear air between the party wall and the roof felt? Can you stick your hand in? Could the problem have been caused after the house was signed off?

Is it something that can be solved with a €20 roll of rock wool?

Block build or timber frame?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭Markcheese

You'd want to be 100% sure of your convictions before going down an official route.

"not properly fire stopped" isn't exactly a recording of the problem. Photographed and measured recordings are

Is there clear air between the party wall and the roof felt? Can you stick your hand in? Could the problem have been caused after the house was signed off?

Is it something that can be solved with a €20 roll of rock wool?

Block build or timber frame?

A report from a qualified surveyor...
    It'll cost a lot more than a roll of rock wool , but for piece of mind .... If there's one visible fire issue then there could be a lot more ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭C3PO

I'm interested in where the Building Regs specify how many sockets circuits there should be in a kitchen and what specification a washing machine switch should be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Unfortunatley the Chief Fire Officer has no enforcement powers with respect to fire prevention in a premises that consists of a house occupied as a single dwelling.

Private houses are completley immune from any obligatory inspections unless they are a multi occupancy dwellings such as an apartment block or a house broken into flats.

C3PO wrote: »
    I'm interested in where the Building Regs specify how many sockets circuits there should be in a kitchen and what specification a washing machine switch should be?

Building regs don’t , electrical regs do

Markcheese wrote: »
    A report from a qualified surveyor...
    It'll cost a lot more than a roll of rock wool , but for piece of mind .... If there's one visible fire issue then there could be a lot more ...

100% agreed

Advertisement