Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

boundary wall

• 13-02-2020 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

hi, looking for info on an odd scenario. my estate and the estate beside me have two boundary walls. The neighbours wall is in his garden, my wall in my garden and boundary line in between. The walls are butted up to each other, but not connected. Question is, can i raise my wall to build a shed or is it classed as the boundary wall? thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

timm1 wrote: »
    hi, looking for info on an odd scenario. my estate and the estate beside me have two boundary walls. The neighbours wall is in his garden, my wall in my garden and boundary line in between. The walls are butted up to each other, but not connected. Question is, can i raise my wall to build a shed or is it classed as the boundary wall? thanks

I would argue its not a boundary wall as the air space between the 2 is the notational boundary.

Question though, is the wall structurally sound to build up to form a structure?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 timm1

That's what I thought. Yes, it is well built with plenty of pillars. Thanks for your help

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That's what I thought. Yes, it is well built with plenty of pillars. Thanks for your help

Foundations.
    Depth of foundations.
    Type of block used.

Pillars mean nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 timm1

I dug a pot hole to the foundations on this wall and the house, and sadly i'd be more afraid of the house coming down. It's hard to believe what they have got away with in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I dug a pot hole to the foundations on this wall and the house, and sadly i'd be more afraid of the house coming down. It's hard to believe what they have got away with in the past.

I've ZERO experience in building besides lego, but I would suspect that a straight wall would need a different and deeper foundation than a square / rectangle structure that has the structure to support itself?

And I don't recall any houses from the past falling apart due to foundations excluding the pyrite issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement