Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changing roof pitch on a Garage

Options
  • 13-02-2020 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Currently have a detached 2 storey garage to the rear of my house.
    However most of the 2nd storey is useless due to the eaves of the pitch.
    Am considering replacing the roof with a modern flat zinc roof.
    Is it permissable to build up my walls to the height of the current apex of the pitched roof and put the flat roof on it, and therefore be able to make use of the internal space.
    Would planning permission be required?

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Blub123 wrote: »
    Currently have a detached 2 storey garage to the rear of my house.
    However most of the 2nd storey is useless due to the eaves of the pitch.
    Am considering replacing the roof with a modern flat zinc roof.
    Is it permissable to build up my walls to the height of the current apex of the pitched roof and put the flat roof on it, and therefore be able to make use of the internal space.
    Would planning permission be required?

Many thanks

I would say Planning is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Did you ever look into this any further, was thinking of something similar but rather than a full flat roof turn the unseen (from the main road) half of the pitched roof into a flat roof to make room upstairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Blub123

No, haven't as have decided to leave pitch as it stands and work within existing footprint

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Dkel95

Have you thought about putting in a flat roof former at the back? There are some finer details but generally doesn't require planning and can give a lot more head room and walking area

Dkel95 wrote: »
    Have you thought about putting in a flat roof former at the back? There are some finer details but generally doesn't require planning and can give a lot more head room and walking area

Assume you mean “dormer” roof?
    And they do require planning, even on the back.

• Advertisement

Gumbo wrote: »
    Assume you mean “dormer” roof?
    And they do require planning, even on the back.

Pretty sure that once you keep below ridge height (I think 500mm) you don't need planning permission, of course there's a few more regulations you need to adhere such as distance from eaves, total size etc... But generally you don't. Maybe I'm wrong though?

Pretty sure that once you keep below ridge height (I think 500mm) you don't need planning permission, of course there's a few more regulations you need to adhere such as distance from eaves, total size etc... But generally you don't. Maybe I'm wrong though?

Pretty sure your wrong.

500mm below the ridge height - then how do you get the extra head height you mentioned in the previous post?

Distance from eaves is not mentioned in any regulation anywhere. That’s why you can see full dormers built up from the rear wall.

Total size is a grey area. There’s no regulation for this but even when you lodge a planning, most LA’s stipulate the max width you can goo. Some limit it to 50% of the total width of the main roof, others are not so strict once you are 1m from the boundary line.

Otherwise I’ve wasted my life lodging planning applications for many many clients for dormers :)

Gumbo wrote: »
    Pretty sure your wrong.

500mm below the ridge height - then how do you get the extra head height you mentioned in the previous post?

Distance from eaves is not mentioned in any regulation anywhere. That’s why you can see full dormers built up from the rear wall.

Total size is a grey area. There’s no regulation for this but even when you lodge a planning, most LA’s stipulate the max width you can goo. Some limit it to 50% of the total width of the main roof, others are not so strict once you are 1m from the boundary line.

Otherwise I’ve wasted my life lodging planning applications for many many clients for dormers :)

I presume what the op means is that the ridge height is fine, but there's little room either side due to the pitch, so if you go flat out from just below the ridge you'll have that head height out close to the wall.

Well you know more about planning than I do that's for sure, so you can install one on the house without planning permission but not the shed is that it?

I presume what the op means is that the ridge height is fine, but there's little room either side due to the pitch, so if you go flat out from just below the ridge you'll have that head height out close to the wall.

Well you know more about planning than I do that's for sure, so you can install one on the house without planning permission but not the shed is that it?

You can’t install on either without planning.
    Where did you get the idea that a dormer was exempted development on anything?

Advertisement