Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mysterious hidden switch - Audi A6 2012

• 26-02-2020 7:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

Hopefully someone can shed some light, on the reason for this mysterious switch I've just spotted. So, I was planning to hardwire a dashcam this evening, opened the dash on the drivers side to check the fuses and I spot a switch. Think it's actually on, as per the red light on it.
    The switch is held in by a ziptie, do can't really see what it's going to.
    I since switched it off, and noticed nothing out of the ordinary while driving.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    Hopefully someone can shed some light, on the reason for this mysterious switch I've just spotted. So, I was planning to hardwire a dashcam this evening, opened the dash on the drivers side to check the fuses and I spot a switch. Think it's actually on, as per the red light on it.
    The switch is held in by a ziptie, do can't really see what it's going to.
    I since switched it off, and noticed nothing out of the ordinary while driving.
    Any ideas?

Is it wired into the fuses??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

It's an "official" looking switch, as can be seen by the spring clip retainers on the side of it, was meant to be pressed into place on a panel in it's original design location...and definitely not a cable tie set up. Can you track where the cables are going to / coming from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That’s a generic switch and definitely not part of the car.

Are there front parking sensors fitted by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Was it a taxi at any stage of its life? Looks like a taxi roof sign switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Is it possible to reach before removing part of the dash or is it completely hidden and inaccessible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Front what I can see it doesn't look like it piggybacking of any fuses, not from the front anyway. I've cut the ziptie to it, but can't pull it out any further tbh. No idea what it's attached to either, it's buried deep under the dash. Could be for a radar unit, but no sign of one.
    Had a feel around under the dash below the steering column and can't locate anything either.
    Could be a tracking device that someone may have forgotten about?

If you look under the bonnet, and to the front bulkhead, where the wiring harness exits and where the cable's go to their individual connections, can you see any extra cables ( not in the harness / loom ) exiting anywhere? Its not an Audi switch anyway, so it's additional to the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Yeah, a fairly popular generic switch. My money is on some kind of tracker.

The switch is lighting up, so if you turned it off and the car still runs it cant be too critical.

Right, I'm not 100% sure, as it's rather cramped in there but it looks like it's running to the obd port, and the wire from the switch is spliced into the obd port cable.

• Advertisement

By any chance, is there an extra fused link connected to the positive battery terminal??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,507 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Anti-theft switch?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’m guessing it disables the OBD port to stop someone making a key?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ya my money is on obd port kill.

Good idea tbh.

So, should I just leave it on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    So, should I just leave it on?

No turn it off unless your reading obd or dropping into a garage

Advertisement