Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First Bike, am I wasting my time with NSR 80

Options
  • 30-04-2015 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi everyone

I am in the process of getting my first bike (first provisional for the bike) but have been on the road in a car and have had a full license the last 5 years.

I am 25 so can drive a nice range of bikes but one of the bikes I was looking at due to cheap bike and cheap insurance is a NSR 80.

It is a lovely looking bike and supposed to be a great starter bike but I am wondering am I wasting my time driving one of these and will I only want to upgrade a few weeks down the line?

Should I go for something a little bit bigger like a Honda Bros 250 which I've also seen?

Just looking for your opinions :) Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

25 on an NSR 80......Take the shame mate. If I were you I would get a CB500 and learn proper great bike, even a super 400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

You can learn a lot on a small bike, when I started 20 years ago I was on a tzr 125, if the nsr is in good mechanical order then no reason not to get it, unless you planning on doing big motorway miles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I would not do it personally. Soil creep is quicker than then NSR 80. Joking aside, even a light headwind will make the bike struggle.

Get a 400 / 500 and restrict it if you are worried of too much power starting off.

And anyway all bikes are only as fast as your wrist will allow.

Edit: A bros may be a good shout but be careful. Not many unabused ones around.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭pillphil

NSR 80 is a very small bike, even a Bros is small. Watch your balls under hard braking, the tank is really narrow and will give them a good wallop. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Id get something with a bit more power a 250 like a hornet or ninja at least. Then you can do about bit of distance if needed and are less likely to get bored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

There are three bikes parked in my drive way.

A 125, 250 and a 500.

The leap from the 125 to the 250 is HUGE.
    Night and day.

Going from the 250 to the 500 just gives me more acceleration and top speed.

The 125 is just scary on the motorway or in the wind. I can't imagine riding an 80cc more than a few kms on the flat, not on modern roads anyhow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

NSR 80 is very light man. A gust of wind would have you struggling if you were doing any kind of speed. If you just want something to learn on try an ER 500 or something similar.
    I had an NSR125 years ago and tbh it broke my heart with the amount of maintenance and repairs the fuggin thing needed. Would have been cheaper to have bought the bigger bike from the start (but there was silly laws in them days).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I had the CB500 for a weekend a while back when my other bike was out of action. Was a really nice bike to ride. Nice upright, comfortable seating and good confident cornering.

At the end of the day the choice is yours but I'd be opting for something like a CB500. It'll serve you better in the long run imo.

EDIT: Fair enough point made above as well. I used to get blown all over the place on a GSF500F when I was learning. Would hate to see what a smaller bike would be like :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

What's the budget? What do you weigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I have a Ktm super motard 950 and a gsxr 750 and I'd still enjoy a Vfr 400
    This is restricted and you'll get classic insurance and looks clean, also he clearly has money to mind her and is getting out of bikes if he's selling boots and suit so I doubt it's someone else's problems you'd be buying
    Also you are a grown man no nsr80 for you
    http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-vfr-400-nc-30/8803796?offset=11

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Take the bross and get yourself used to the road for first six months and then see how you feel about upgrading.

The nsr will rattle away in those six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sonyvision

I bought my first bike last year, a bandit 600cc 1999, paid 800 euro its good nic, spend another 300 chain, sprockets, fork seals stand stuff.

Just got my provisional A category license IBT is in 8 days. Insurance is only 315 bucks third party fire and thieft.

The bike will only go as fast as you pull back the trottle, if your over 24 and getting your first every provisional on a bike they will give you all AM A2 A1 and A licence together.

My advice just start on something like a bandit, because the IBT for the A category uses something similiar and the full test will require something over 599cc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Should I go for something a little bit bigger like a Honda Bros 250 which I've also seen?

Go for something a lot bigger!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

What about an Aprilia Rs125? Cheap, available and great bloody craic. Much more practical in that class of bike too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

Get an R6 or cbr600rr altogether as the theme seems to be bigger cc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Flood wrote: »
    Get an R6 or cbr600rr altogether as the theme seems to be bigger cc.

You might want to review what other posters suggested, they were all sensible suggestions, most of them sub 600. Let's be realistic, the OP will be sorry they got an 80 after day 1.

cantdecide wrote: »
    What about an Aprilia Rs125? Cheap, available and great bloody craic. Much more practical in that class of bike too.

I think the OP would be better off just throwing the money in a fire. It would be less painful than owning an RS 125. I would not say they are a great bike to start on either. They are not happy unless kept in high revs.

A friend had one when we were younger. Thing was constantly broken. I reckon he had two enjoyable days with it. The day he bought it and the day he sold it.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

I started off on a Ninja 250R and its a great bike. I think like most have said anything smaller will be too light and you'll get bored of it quickly.

I did my IBT on an ER500 and it was a lovely bike to ride.

A 600cc sports bike would be suicide to start on! :eek:

2 years later and I'm still having fun on the Ninja! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

martomcg wrote: »

A 600cc sports bike would be suicide to start on! :eek:

Sorry but I just dont agree with that advice at all, I had zero experience on a bike when I started and my 1st bike 4 yrs ago was a 09 Yamaha FZ6. Absolute cracker of a bike to start on and served me very well.

The type of person you are (mentally) and your physical build play a very important part in the type of bike you choose. Just because a bike has 600cc or whatever does not mean you have to use them. If you are reckless in the head you will be reckless on the bike that goes for 80cc or 1000cc.

Within 6mths of getting my FZ6 (had to wait the mandatory 6mts to do test to enable me to cross border :rolleyes: ) I was all over the country north and south, never dropped it never crashed it never had a near miss. If you are sensible and had a good trainer you will be fine.

Just my 2c

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I agree to an extent Wonda Boy I don't think the CBR600 is any more dangerous than any other bike. It depends on the rider, but at the same time I would rather do my test on something a little more manoeuverable and with a lower centre of gravity.

+1 on the Aprillia 125. Great fun when it is working which is almost never

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Correct me here if I am wrong (which I probably am).

A FZ6 is not a sports bike, but more of a traditional style 600cc bike, well that is the way I understand it.
    Four years ago if you started on a 600cc bike you had to have it restricted. I understand that 'direct access' or IBT was introduced after 2011, but I could be wrong on that, it could well have been introduced before 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Traditional style 600cc bikes are great starter bikes I think.
    Not as hooligan a bike as a 600cc sports bike I think.
    Good riding position in my opinion.
    More comfortable than a sports biker in my opinion.
    And if you are over 24 years of age and you do the required IBT modules, you are allowed to ride one (assuming that you get insured and taxed).

The newer model fz6 has 100bhp. That's a hell of a lot for a new rider to jump on if they have no sense / self control.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

skinny tyres on the little bikes, coupled with our shite roads was my biggest bugbear. Road tar groves really shouldnt have an impact on your travelling direction lol...

Everyone will have different opinions but just because the op is 24 one shouldnt be suggesting big cc bikes as a start of. Yes an nsr80 is a chicken chaser but maybe all the op wants to do is chase chickens for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

I started on a cbr125 and it was a disaster, the thing can't do motoways and has no power. Upgraded to 600 hornet which was restricted (gave it a go on full power before that and had no trouble). A bigger bike is much more sensible if u wanna actually do motorways. I got pushed of the road plenty of times by car drivers trying to pass me since I was going so slow. No sucj problems ona bigger bike. Ger a 600 bandit or hornet and you got a great starting bike - more comfy then a cbr, same engine but with a more predictable/easier to control power curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Also kind of depends on the body type. I'd be over 100kg and honestly think anything less than about a 400 is actively dangerous for me. I learned on a GZ250 and got in a few tricky situations that honestly a bigger bike would have been able to get me out of. Cornering when you're trying to choke every last bit of torque out of a bike is seriously ropey.

Aside from that, a slightly larger bike will also make the whole ride smoother and safer. Nothing to do with enjoyment or speed or doing wheelies or anything like that. I wouldn't put a car learner out on a ride-on mower just the same as I wouldn't touch an 80cc outside tiny city streets, unless it's a kid or a tiny wee chap.

I would have thought the exact opposite a year ago before I got up on the bike, and now here's me looking at litre bikes because they're easier to ride. Get a go on a few bikes, do your IBT on a school bike if at all possible because you'll honestly change your mind in an instant the minute you get up on one.

gerrowadat wrote: »
    I wouldn't put a car learner out on a ride-on mower just the same as I wouldn't touch an 80cc outside tiny city streets, unless it's a kid or a tiny wee chap.

I didn't think there are road legal ride on mowers available?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

I'd put every car user on a ride on lawnmower if I could.

• Advertisement

Alot of car owners would have lawns thus they would have lawn mowers, how are ride on lawn mowers relevant in a motorcycle thread is confusing.

Advertisement