Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clear coat of varnish over freshly painted front door.

Options
  • 25-05-2019 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all.
    I am just finished painting my wooden front door. I have done the following:
    Door was stained, so gave it a quick sand for primer to get a key.
    Primed door with zinsser bulls eye 123.
    Gave door 3 coats of colourtrend black satin.
    Door looks great but I’m worried about the door getting a chip or whatever.
    I’m looking to further protect the door and paint with a clear varnish. We want to keep the satin look don’t want it getting too glossy. Can anyone recommend anything, and if so how long should the top coat be allowed dry before applying the varnish. I’m at 24hrs now.
    Also colourtrend is water based and I’ve heard oil based varnish could cause the water based paint to yellow?
    If it makes any difference the door is north facing so doesn’t get much sun. (I know there’s a problem with deluxe water based paint yellowing when there’s a lack of sunlight.)
    Thanks a lot guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Who told you there was a prob with Dulix wb paints?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

dok_golf wrote: »
    Who told you there was a prob with Dulix wb paints?

Wholesalers, tradesmen and speaking from experience. I painted all woodwork in a bathroom that gets very little sunlight with water based undercoat and gloss and it has gone magnolia. Don’t wanna get into a debate about that.
    Any recommendations about varnish?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

tom1ie wrote: »
    Wholesalers, tradesmen and speaking from experience. I painted all woodwork in a bathroom that gets very little sunlight with water based undercoat and gloss and it has gone magnolia. Don’t wanna get into a debate about that.
    Any recommendations about varnish?

It was the oil based going yellow, not the water based but that was because they had to make the oil paints with less voc if I remember rightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Have used this varnish previously and found it good https://www.woodies.ie/ronseal-750ml-crystal-clear-outdoor-varnish-clear-satin-1114324

I used the gloss version but it is available in the satin (as per link) It's water based, outdoor and supposed to be non yellowing.

Have used this varnish previously and found it good https://www.woodies.ie/ronseal-750ml-crystal-clear-outdoor-varnish-clear-satin-1114324

I used the gloss version but it is available in the satin (as per link) It's water based, outdoor and supposed to be non yellowing.

Thanks, I'll give this a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I'd be inclined to leave it.
    If it gets a chip or whatever, deal with it. Varnish won't stop that happening.
    3 coats of satin, surely will suffice to protect it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

I sanded my floor recently, was told varnish is woeful. Should I go with Ronseal Diamond Hard floor wax ?

I'd be inclined to leave it.
    If it gets a chip or whatever, deal with it. Varnish won't stop that happening.
    3 coats of satin, surely will suffice to protect it.

Yeah I’m trying to decide if I should bother or not. Seen some videos on you tube where they put on a clear sealer to protect the paint. Looked very good, but I’m trying to weigh up is it really worth it. Forgot to mention the front door is protected by a porch with French doors anyway so I’m probably doing a bit of overkill here!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Hal3000 wrote: »
    I sanded my floor recently, was told varnish is woeful. Should I go with Ronseal Diamond Hard floor wax ?

Translac, floor varnish, doesn't look like an epoxy resin finish on your floor.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Markcheese wrote: »
    Translac, floor varnish, doesn't look like an epoxy resin finish on your floor.

Cheers man

• Advertisement
Advertisement