Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birth Year Watch Ideas (1949)

Options
  • 22-04-2012 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭

I owe my dad a nice present, and was thinking that maybe a birth year watch would be good, as his watch (Longines Quartz) has recently gone on the blink, and while he enjoyed taking out his old 70s Seiko automatic from a drawer winding it and finding that it still works well, I think he would like something that he could wear more as a dress watch.

He likes old things and would certainly appreciate the value of getting something that is not likely going to take a further hit in value, but at the same time having some personal significance - so I think a birth year watch would be nice.

I don't have a price in mind other, but if it was say €800-1000 I wouldn't be getting it too soon, with a max budget of €3,000 (if I got it for his 65th in a couple of years)

Things I think he'd like:
    -Gold
    -Recognisable name
    -Swiss
    -Slim (but would compromise if it has a lot of complications)

Wouldn't like:
    -Pilot/Military/Diiver
    -Not Breitling or Rolex Oyster

I was thinking of maybe a Jaeger LeCoultre (maybe a Reverso- very classic), or Omega (Cosmic Moonphase perhaps), Longines or Zenith. I really have little idea on how much any of these should cost but I imagine I'll be looking for a while if I'm just looking for one particular type of watch. Anyway any advice appreciated. Cosmic moonphase below
    4299212233_dc848b0472.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Size may be an issue, though Longines, Omega and JLC did "oversize" dress watches in that time period. Well oversize for that time, around the 38mm size. Girard perregaux might be another name to look for. I've seen a 14kt gold one from the late 40's go for 400 quid on the bay. IWC's of that period are pretty mad money and rare to show up. With your budget you have a fair amount of choice Z. EG here's a 1940's Longines in 18kt gold. Dial a bit aged, but 36mm and very slim. Very elegant though.

If it was me looking for a decent sized(38mm) classic gold cased complication from a high end(at the time very) maker? Longines chronograph with the famous* 30CH flyback movement.
    9110350110011-01.jpg
    Regarded as one of the finest inhouse movements ever made by anyone and the first flyback chrono. Here's one. Right year too. Auction still running but keeping an eye out you could get one for around the 2-3k mark if you keep your eye on the bay. Mostly from Italy. A big market for Longines. Here's another. If that had omega, or IWC on the dial it would go for double and both companies chronos at the time would look like they were put together by Noddy in Toytown by comparison. Plus IMHO they are a serious investment for the future. I will predict in a decades time you won't get a sniff of one for less than 5 figures.

*if you're a barely sane watch nut. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Bit of a zombie thread, but did you ever pick up a 1949 watch Zagato?
    Having a look around for same myself at the moment as my Dad approaches 70, but not entirely sure what I'm looking for or where to start.

Reading your OP above, my requirements for the watch itself would would be pretty much the same, but with a lower budget.
    Max budget of 1K; ideally <€500 (is that just too low to expect any sort of quality?)

Gonna have a little trawl of ebay and see if anything catches my eye, we'll see.
    Maybe will look at some other important years to him too, as they wouldn't be quite as 'vintage', could I have a better chance at good value?

(recording here for my own reference, while I'm thinking about it :) )

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Bit of a zombie thread, but did you ever pick up a 1949 watch

Had completely forgot I posted this. Unfortunately not a very good ending to this. While he did get to see his 65th birthday, he was terminally ill and priorities had shifted, so no never got the watch. In fairness he still had a good party for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Zagato wrote: »
    Had completely forgot I posted this. Unfortunately not a very good ending to this. While he did get to see his 65th birthday, he was terminally ill and priorities had shifted, so no never got the watch. In fairness he still had a good party for it though.

Sorry to hear, thanks for the response

• Advertisement
Advertisement