Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GBBO 2018

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Apparently all you need is a can of chickpeas - the liquid you pour off is the aquafaba :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

News to me! Thanks, easy enough so as I've several tins of chickpeas in the cupboard already. I'd probably need to use a few tins though. We'll be eating chickpeas for a while I'd say. We're not vegan/vegetarian but often eat vegetarian salads.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Make a big thing of hummous of falafel or both, chickpeas are quite versatile!

Thanks, I'll keep those in mind for my chickpea bounty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

• Advertisement

They look great! Secretly, I have been known to eat Epicure chick peas from the tin. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I was amazed at the whiteness of the vegan meringues. My egg meringues are never white, or is there a tip I should know of?

I normally put a drop of vinegar in. I think that helps to keep them white

I tried that many years ago and they still weren't white so I gave up the vinegar.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They look great! Secretly, I have been known to eat Epicure chick peas from the tin. :o
    Ha, i do too. And the tins of mixed beans from lidl :o
    B0jangles wrote: »

I forgot about this, great idea. Have had those in pubs a few times even.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've made chocolate mousse with aquafaba but never meringue. I might have to give it a go.

It was nice to see a vegan week, especially a range of savoury and sweet stuff. I agree with Manon regarding the cashew milk for baking, it's the most neutral tasting I've managed to find.

• Advertisement

GBBO seems to have faded away into oblivion. Have we lost interest in the programme? I thought some of the challenges were daft, i.e. camp fire cooking, what on earth were they thinking?

There was a much more active thread in the reality tv forum

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

GBBO seems to have faded away into oblivion. Have we lost interest in the programme? I thought some of the challenges were daft, i.e. camp fire cooking, what on earth were they thinking?

I felt it was quite lacklustre this year, and very few of the contestants were actually good bakers. Those challenges were ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭shortcircuitie

I felt it was quite lacklustre this year, and very few of the contestants were actually good bakers. Those challenges were ridiculous.

Some of the challenges were absolute nonsense. Making paintings out of biscuits. Cooking on a camp fire ffs. The final showstopper was absolutely absurd.

I think the real issue was that some of the best bakers came a cropper too early. Jon went home because he couldnt bake with chick pea water and almond milk - hardly a capital crime! Dan was excellent but he had a stinker one week and kinda had to go.

Ruby should have gone twice, but was mysteriously kept around... wonder why!

On the plus side I like Sandi and think Noel is brilliant he is so nice to the contestants and his off the cuff surreal comments are class.

I far prefer Prue Leith to Mary Berry. I had always liked her on GBM and I like that she is a strong personality and isn't afraid to be cutting about something when she deserves it.

There was a much more active thread in the reality tv forum

I didn't know that as I've never been interested in that forum. I'll check it out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Some of the challenges were absolute nonsense. Making paintings out of biscuits. Cooking on a camp fire ffs. The final showstopper was absolutely absurd.

I think the real issue was that some of the best bakers came a cropper too early. Jon went home because he couldnt bake with chick pea water and almond milk - hardly a capital crime! Dan was excellent but he had a stinker one week and kinda had to go.

Ruby should have gone twice, but was mysteriously kept around... wonder why!

On the plus side I like Sandi and think Noel is brilliant he is so nice to the contestants and his off the cuff surreal comments are class.

I far prefer Prue Leith to Mary Berry. I had always liked her on GBM and I like that she is a strong personality and isn't afraid to be cutting about something when she deserves it.

Fair points. Hopefully they'll go back to the original formula for the next series because trying to do all that weird stuff this time didn't work.

After the BBC series they used to have PH and MB actually make some of the bakes in the series. Prue and Paul don't do that now and in fact although Prue has a major rep I've never seen her bake, ever!

Prue founded and ran Leigh's cookery school which is reputed to be one of the best in Britain. So I'd say she surely knows her way around a sponge!

Prue founded and ran Leigh's cookery school which is reputed to be one of the best in Britain. So I'd say she surely knows her way around a sponge!

Edit : Leith's cookery school. Damn autocorrect

I'm sure she knows her way around lots of bakes all right. Still, I've never seen her on TV cooking or baking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

She got a Michelin star after she opened her restaurant in the 60's. Didn't know she was almost 80, looking well.

RasTa wrote: »
    She got a Michelin star after she opened her restaurant in the 60's. Didn't know she was almost 80, looking well.

And some people complained about that 'ould wan Mary Berry'!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Here are Mary & Prue back in 1974. Mary looks the same, never would have got Prue

nintchdbpict000301599260-e1487025220129.jpg?strip=all&w=960

Prue would be about 34, and Mary about 39

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Completely agree. I'd never have gotten Prue.

Second attempt at Aquafaba Meringues. They look ok but after a few minutes they ended up a marshmallowy lumpy mess. Someone please stop me the next time I look at a tin of chick peas! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Never heard of this... used to be hooked on a BBC programme called "Ready Steady Cook!" They seem to have jazzed it up a bit..

The Great British Bake Off new series begins August 27th on Channel 4 at 8pm :)

Advertisement