Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The General Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,168 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

New Home wrote: »
    Isn't that a character in Futurama?

Had to look that up.
    No, it isn't.
    Calculon is.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I don't have any non-stick pans. Is that unusual?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Nope stainless steel all the way for moi. Season the odd time and it turns into a non stick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

We can't have non-stick because we have a couple of pet parrots and the gases released by overheated non-stick can kill them in minutes :( It's fine when it comes to pot and pans, but getting non-non-stick baking tins is a bit of a pain if you just want to pick up a cheap one in the supermarket.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

B0jangles wrote: »
    We can't have non-stick because we have a couple of pet parrots and the gases released by overheated non-stick can kill them in minutes :( It's fine when it comes to pot and pans, but getting non-non-stick baking tins is a bit of a pain if you just want to pick up a cheap one in the supermarket.

:eek: You'd like to think that all parrot owners know that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Who's going to be the first to post the monty python sketch (sorry!)

:eek: You'd like to think that all parrot owners know that.

So do I! I try to mention it whenever nonstick comes up, just to spread the word because it could happen so fecking easily :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,588 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Realised I had a frankly irresponsible amount of veg that was close to the turning point (or beyond) in the house due to buying for planned cooking and not actually doing it. I really dislike food waste and have been specifically changing what I cook to try reduce it so felt this had to be sorted.

Some targetted batch cooking has dealt with that. Mushrooms, some onions and some spring onions were beyond saving unfortunately. Had to buy some ginger and chillis to do these but they last for ages.

Huge batch of curry base has addressed onions, garlic, and peppers
    Big generic pasta sauce has dealt with left over pasata and cured meats from last nights pizzas, along with carrots and celery
    Katsu sauce has dealt with the rest of the carrots.

Spuds will be mashed and frozen after I've eaten dinner - not sure what exactly yet, a veg balti or paneer dish from the curry base is likely.

• Advertisement

You had me at curry base... What's the secret?

Onions, for sure.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    You had me at curry base... What's the secret?

Loads of different variants around, mine is close to this:

http://www.greatcurryrecipes.net/2013/12/31/make-indian-restaurant-style-curry-sauce-large-batch/

Basically - onions, onions, onions. I used a mix of white and red today. Cook them alone for a long time until they are incredibly soft, then you've still got about 45mins with whatever other veg you want and all the spices. Blend it to a sauce consistency with a proper stick blender - a food processor will not do the job. Peppers and carrots are the usual extra veg, for peppers it'll be a mix of sharper and sweeter ones.

Even with huge amounts of spices, the base is not enough for a curry on its own - but it lets you just do some spices, some solid veg and whatever protein source you want and get a good curry in ~20mins.

There is the famous curry thread in the cooking club sub-forum here (pity that that died) which gives an alternate take on it but one you've figured out your taste preference you won't need to look back at recipes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Bisto "best" beef gravy granules on offer in tesco. These are by far the best instant granule ones I have had

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=258006276

Bisto Best Beef Gravy Granules 200G
    Special OfferSAVE 33%
    valid until 13/11/2018
    €1.60

Their standard bisto one is 1.59 but only 170g.

Only the beef shows online but they had others in the shop. I did get the beef one with carmalized onions which was not as good. Otherwise I have only had the beef, I think there was a chicken in the shop. I prefer beef gravy on chicken as it is what I grew up having.

2kg chicken was E4.58, cut off the 2 breasts, with no skin or bone weighed 622g, so that is 7.36 per kilo just for them, which is already cheaper than most.

I can squeeze the remaining whole chicken into a standard philips airfryer to be roasted. I do not like the breasts on a large roasted chicken, and end up with decent sized chicken portions.

Saved the leftover fat for frying the chicken fillets. When luke warm I poured it into a small glass spice jar so takes up little room in the fridge.

The chickens were 2 for 8euro in tesco, at that price the fillets work out 6.43 per kilo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The Journal’s 12 essential items every kitchen needs

https://www.thejournal.ie/essential-kitchen-equipment-4341623-Nov2018/

I score 10/12. No potato ricer or fire blanket but there is an extinguisher somewhere. You?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

11/12, missing tongs but make it 10/12 if you count a four sided grater as not being good enough :p To my downfall (space-wise!) I don't usually treat myself by buying new clothes and whatnot, it's kitchen gear and cookbooks..

Everything bar a non-stick pan (because birds), and a fireblanket, but we do have an extinguisher.
    I disagree on potato ricers being a 'necessity' -they are ok, but they are a much more of a pain in the proverbial to clean than a masher and I compulsively avoid creating more washing up than I absolutely need to :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Everything bar the fire extinguisher. Personally I’d say my ricer is an essential as I like my mash smooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Everything bar a non-stick pan (because birds), and a fireblanket, but we do have an extinguisher.
    I disagree on potato ricers being a 'necessity' -they are ok, but they are a much more of a pain in the proverbial to clean than a masher and I compulsively avoid creating more washing up than I absolutely need to :P

Oh I am dead in the water on this one!

I do have a small nonstick frying pan, but no fire blanket, extinguisher , potato ricer ( whatever that is) , no measuring cup or really good knives, or heavy cast iron pot... I do have a slow cooker but never use it, preferring a low light on the gas cooker..

Grater yes but rarely use it..

No tongs; a slatted spoon works.

Ordinary scales are fine.

No measuring cups...

Hand blender, yes, the one thing I use often.

Do I get the booby prize? ;)

And no mention of the really useful things like a spatula? Wooden spoons?

No non-stick pan, ricer or cast iron pot. Have never used Mrs Billy's silicone spatula. I haven't seen (or bothered looking for) my measuring cups in donkey's years. I'll go 7/12.

I cannot understand how people don't use tongs. They are the handiest tool I'd use day-to-day in the kitchen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I cannot understand how people don't use tongs. They are the handiest tool I'd use day-to-day in the kitchen.

I wonder if Ruth has any in her kitchen :eek::eek::D:D

I used to be very fond of my old weighing scales, mostly because of nostalgia - but after using an electronic scales, I would never ever go back to an old-fashioned scales, even if it was an heirloom which had used to bake every cake in my family for the last 1000 years.

Electronic scales are a bit like stick blenders - you really don't know what you are missing until you get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I got 4/12 :pac:

Slow cooker..tongs..pan..and hand blender...

I cant say my greater is anything but adequate. Im in a shiitty rented apartment with a tiny kitchen.
    Ill buy better things when I become a grown up with my own house.
    I will never be 12/12 though...no need for a ricer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Potato ricers are a pain in the ass to clean. I just add more butter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Our potato ricer just goes in the dishwasher and it’s grand.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I use a toothbrush (one that I only use for the dishes, let me be very clear), I find it quite easy, too. Besides, you do need a ricer if you're trying to do potato croquettes, potato dauphines, gnocchi, or anything like that.

I wash the ricer immediately and it's never an issue

Actually bought a new Salter electronic scales today as my no brander with allegedly touch sensitive buttons is nearly impossible to tare.

Have an extinguisher not a blanket, should really address that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

11/12 - no ricer for me. Last I looked, they weren't very compact and I need to keep my space. I'd not have the patience to clean it anyway (no dishwasher here)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

12/12

\o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Agree with you, tongs & silicon spatula and I am happy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

10/12 for me - I don't have a potato ricer or fire blanket. I threw my potato ricer out because I hadn't got the patience for filling it over and over with potatoes. Must get a fire blanket and small extinguisher though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I have no ...

Measuring cups (I don't bake, and rarely measure anything anyway :) )
    Potato ricer (I have one of these instead ... https://www.lakeland.co.uk/18908/Masha-Electric-Potato-Masher, and no it isn't the same as a hand blender!)
    Slow cooker (never had any use for one)
    Fire blanket (but do have an extinguisher)

Visiting friends down the country at the weekend. Came back with a brace of pheasants.

Just finished preparing the pheasants - skinned as opposed to plucked - still a pretty messy job. It’s going to have to be stew tomorrow night. :)

6-B184238-DDBD-45-F8-86-D8-014-DEA37-C4-C6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Is it just me or is the venison very late arriving into Lidl & Aldi? I thought they normally have it by now.

Visiting friends down the country at the weekend. Came back with a brace of pheasants.

Just finished preparing the pheasants - skinned as opposed to plucked - still a pretty messy job. It’s going to have to be stew tomorrow night. :)
    Or jointed & browned with bacon lardons, then braised in cider & mustard with apples & thyme? Just sayin'... ;)

Or jointed & browned with bacon lardons, then braised in cider & mustard with apples & thyme? Just sayin'... ;)

Keep on with the ideas. I'm hoping to do pheasant for Christmas this year

The breasts are shot to pieces :rolleyes: so it’s a stew. I was planning on using a Mary Berry recipe that has apple juice and bacon in it so not far off. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Where do you get an extinguisher & fire blanket? Also what type should the extinguisher be, for electrical fires Im guessing?

For grease would be your best bet in the kitchen.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Where do you get an extinguisher & fire blanket? Also what type should the extinguisher be, for electrical fires Im guessing?
    littlewoods have blankets
    https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/streetwize-accessories-fire-blanket/1460826526.prd?_requestid=355962&Ntt=fire%20blanket

argos have both, blankets are expensive and only a small bit bigger.
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=FIRE+BLANKET&authToken=

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7001583.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Nice one, must get both sorted. Have never come near to a kitchen fire but one without them would not end well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭shortcircuitie

Has anyone seen tins of chestnuts in Aldi or Lidl yet? I normally stock up this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Has anyone seen tins of chestnuts in Aldi or Lidl yet? I normally stock up this time of year.

Plenty of fresh

Graces7 wrote: »
    Plenty of fresh

I actually cannot stand the hassle of using fresh chestnuts. Cut the cross in every single one. Then roast them. Then wait for them to cool. Then take them out of the shells. And then you have to remove every bit of that hairy wooly stuff that coats the chestnut. Life's too short!

I actually cannot stand the hassle of using fresh chestnuts. Cut the cross in every single one. Then roast them. Then wait for them to cool. Then take them out of the shells. And then you have to remove every bit of that hairy wooly stuff that coats the chestnut. Life's too short!

+1 My nails took days to recover last time I peeled and prepped a load of chestnuts.

Never Again :mad:

• Advertisement

+1 My nails took days to recover last time I peeled and prepped a load of chestnuts.

Never Again :mad:

It's pure hardship. And the vacuum sealed ones taste absolutely fine, so there is no justification for the torture of roasting your own

Are chestnuts nice? I've seen the canned puree...
    I guess I could make soup?

Maldesu wrote: »
    Keep on with the ideas. I'm hoping to do pheasant for Christmas this year

I used this recipe https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.bbc.com/food/recipes/beaters_stew_70079/amp

It was very tasty but if I was doing it for Christmas, it would be a perfect Christmas Eve meal and not the big day.

I used this recipe https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.bbc.com/food/recipes/beaters_stew_70079/amp

It was very tasty but if I was doing it for Christmas, it would be a perfect Christmas Eve meal and not the big day.

I'm after a big day one. Could just keep it simple and cover with bacon, muslin and butter galore

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Are chestnuts nice? I've seen the canned puree...
    I guess I could make soup?

Roasted sweet chestnuts (on a naked flame, ideally on a wood fire) are to die for - yes, cutting them before roasting can be a pain, but the trick is to peel them while they're still piping hot - let them go cold, and it's a nightmare. Also, cold roasted chestnuts turn rock hard, and can be turned into a flour (with the suitable equipment), then the flour can be used to bake, or to make a porridge-like pudding. Canned/boiled chestnuts can be used in soups, stuffings, and to make Mont Blanc. Sweet chestnuts can also be made into a very creamy jam (with a texture similar to that of a chocolate spread), and they're absolutely delicious! If you're into tricky, lengthy, time-consuming recipes that take days, then you can make marrons glacés. I'll stop now, I'm drooling. :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement