Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭donegal_man

anewme wrote: »
    Bought specially selected falafel burgers, they were fab.

Are they frozen or chilled? I see they have Linda McCartney range in the freezer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Are they frozen or chilled? I see they have Linda McCartney range in the freezer now.

These are frozen. The black box- siecialky sehected. I think they also have beetroot burgers but I didn't try them. The falafel ones were in a box of 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I got the new mini stollen with orange and cranberries and I do not recommend; it's not terrible, it's just...bland?

There's very little orange or cranberry flavour, and I think the background stollen lacks salt. I don't think I've ever noticed a lack of salt in a cake before, but I tried sprinkling a tiny bit on a slice, and it really did taste better :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Do they not do the little miniature cheddar oatcakes they used to do? Think they were Specially Selected range and they came in a chilli flavour too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

gozunda wrote: »
    Anyone know if Aldi has discontinued their Fletchers fine ruby Port?

My Mam has been after this and got it again in bray yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Do they not do the little miniature cheddar oatcakes they used to do? Think they were Specially Selected range and they came in a chilli flavour too.

They were in Letterkenny yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Recliner

Might have already been asked but have they stopped doing their fish burgers? They were frozen, one southern fried flavour and I can't remember the other flavour. They were delicious but I haven't seen them for a while now.
    I love the cauliflower rice, brilliant with curry.
    Had their gnocchi with chicken and mushrooms and some gorgeous flat bread. It was shallot, rosemary and some cheese flavour, I'd have eaten the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I got a specially selected ginger cake recently.
    It came in a brown paper type box. The nicest ginger cake I have eaten, moist and full of flavour.

I got this today - it’s beautiful :)

Thanks for the recommendation. At €2.49 it’s a bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

anewme wrote: »
    Jamaica ginger cake was my absolute favourite growing up!

mcvities one is on offer in tesco
    Special OfferSAVE 75c Was 2.25 Now 1.50
    valid from 1/11/2018 until 26/11/2018

I like it toasted and with butter.

Last few times I got the mcvities it was not how I remembered it. It was drier and not as sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

For the adults only. I love the ginger cake, but I drizzle a bit of Jamaica rum over the top and let it soak in. OMG.

May not be to everyone's taste, but for me, YES.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I had one of the new specially selected beef stew dishes, it was awful. The beef was ok but the rest flavourless, the potatoes were like bricks. Nobody can compete with M&S for ready meals.

Ryath wrote: »
    Picked it up yesterday. Just made a loaf looks good. Meant to be for the morning and school lunch but I might have to have a slice with some of aldi's chicken liver parfait in a bit!

465928.jpg

Did you make this to the recipe on the packet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭nhg

Hi Guys & Gals, ages since I bought any scented candles & diffusers, I see a lot of different No's there now. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated...TIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

nhg wrote: »
    Hi Guys & Gals, ages since I bought any scented candles & diffusers, I see a lot of different No's there now. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated...TIA

I like no 1, the lime one. I bought the no 2 candle as well, blackberry but it doesn't give of much of a smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Ryath

Did you make this to the recipe on the packet?

Not exactly! My weighing scale is on the blink so had to use measuring cups and spoons. Often handier and quicker though if not as exact. Recipe on pack would make a very big loaf.

3 cups flour
    1 cup water
    Tablespoon Rapeseed oil
    1.5 teaspoons salt
    2 teaspoons of yeast (I use Alison Easy bake tin much handier than sachets)

Bunged all in the bread maker for half an hour on dough cycle Had to add about another tablespoon of water as it was a bit dry. Took it out shaped it and loosely covered it with clingfilm and left in hotpress for an hour. Only took about 25 minutes to bake.

Ryath wrote: »
    Not exactly! My weighing scale is on the blink so had to use measuring cups and spoons. Often handier and quicker though if not as exact. Recipe on pack would make a very big loaf.

That's what I was worried about. It says it makes 2 loaves if you use a tin but I never have any luck making bread in tins. Might just half what it says and see how that works.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I wish I had room in my little kitchen for a bread maker... Are they worth it?

igCorcaigh wrote: »

I've never used one but making it by hand isn't all that time consuming, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

We gave ours away a few years ago. If you have a good mixer it takes most of the hard, messy work involved. Plus you have the hole in the base from the paddle which means you can never pass it out off as hand made. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Ryath

Haven't used it to bake my bread in a long time. Did initially and it did get me into making our own bread. Just use now it it to mix my dough. It doesn't bake a bad loaf but the shape isn't great, you have a hole from the paddle and it doesn't have a proper crust on the top. Still tastes good though. I use it to make pizza dough a good bit too.

Thinking about just getting a stand mixer instead though. Hoping I'll be allowed to leave that on the countertop instead of having to drag the bread maker out of the utility press!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

Tried 2 of their new sandwiches today
    First one was a Christmas one(shame on me, it's still November! Turkey, ham, stuffing and cranberry sauce. Not a lot of cranberry flavour but it was delicious. One of the nicer pre made sandwiches I've had.
    The second was one of the specially selected range. A bap with chicken and lemon mayo, lettuce and tomato. This wasn't nice at all, no taste of lemon from it. The bap was lovely but i took out the tomato and the rest was tasteless.

The Christmas one really was good tho.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Anyone know if Aldi are selling nutroasts?
    I've seen a frozen one in Lidl alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Anyone know if Aldi are selling nutroasts?
    I've seen a frozen one in Lidl alright.

They definitely are. I've seen them in the Christmas brochure, but I think they might not be in until December.

On another note, does anyone know if Aldi (or Lidl or indeed anywhere else!) are doing 5 bird roasts at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The siracha mayo is great. As are the brioche buns for 99c.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The Nal wrote: »
    The siracha mayo is great. As are the brioche buns for 99c.

the seeded brioche burger buns seem to be standard now. Aldi is out of the way for me but I always buy a few packs as they are very long dated. I have eaten them up near the BB date and they are grand.

Far better than tesco or lidls brioche burger buns which have much shorter dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

rubadub wrote: »
    the seeded brioche burger buns seem to be standard now. Aldi is out of the way for me but I always buy a few packs as they are very long dated. I have eaten them up near the BB date and they are grand.

Far better than tesco or lidls brioche burger buns which have much shorter dates.

I haven't tried the other two but I usually just freeze whatever is left over.

Tried making them myself to varying degrees of success failure so don't bother anymore and just but them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

rubadub wrote: »

I freeze their burger buns as I woundn't go through them that quickly. I pop them from the freezer straight into the toaster and Bob is your proverbial uncle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Bought the pigs in blankets, not a nice sausage meat, wouldnt buy again. Their steak and merlot pies are alright though.

Nice Pie so is the Chicken one however I couldn't taste any Merlot from it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,855 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

SozBbz wrote: »
    I freeze their burger buns as I woundn't go through them that quickly. I pop them from the freezer straight into the toaster and Bob is your proverbial uncle :)
    I do this as well, but noticed on the packaging that it says they're not suitable for freezing. I wonder why? They seem grand to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I do this as well, but noticed on the packaging that it says they're not suitable for freezing. I wonder why? They seem grand to me!

TBH I never read the label, but have been doing this for ages (with all sorts of burger buns) and never had an issue.

They come in packs of 4 and there are only 2 of us and we're unlikely to have burgers 2 nights in a row so its handy!

Advertisement