Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irishman facing 25 years prison in Oz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Were they over in Oz for a year or living there permanently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

But she's hot.

Too scrawny for me. Stick insect.

Mail report has better pictures.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8680519/Randwick-Irish-couple-charged-stabbing-man-drinking-with.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Likewise me dear old mother
    A tearing down her hair
    She was tearing down her old grey locks
    And trembling as she said
    "My son, my son what have you done
    To be taken to Charlestown?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,712 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Pkiernan wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/irish-couple-charged-in-connection-with-assault-where-man-had-ear-partially-cut-off-in-australia-39493302.html

Got to love the Ozzies justice system.
    If convicted, he's facing a min 7 year sentence before parole and up to 25. Thatll cool his jets.

Far cry for a Poor Box donation.
    He's not "facing a min 7 year sentence before parole".

He has been charged in New South Wales with wounding with intent, for which the maximum penalty is 25 years.

The corresponding Irish offence is assault occasioning serious harm, for which the maximum penalty is life.

In New South Wales, as in Ireland, the maximum penalty is rarely imposed. Obviously we don't know the full facts of this case, or what defence or mitigation he might be able to make, so we have no clue what penalty he might actually get on conviction either in Ireland or in NSW. But unless he has a considerable history of violent offending (and the fact that he was able to get a visa for Australia suggests that he does not) he is very unlikely to get the maximum sentence.

The standard non-parole period of 7 years is not a minimum sentence. Its the standard non-parole period (i.e. period that must actually be served in custody before he can be considered for parole) appropriate to this offence in a case which, just looking at the objective factors, is "in the middle range of seriousness". It will be up to the judge to decide if this case is in the middle range of seriousness, or above it, or below it. And, even if it is in the middle range, other factors will also be taken into account in deciding what non-parole period to apply, including subjective factors and mitigating circumstances. The standard period is not mandatory; it's just a "legislative guidepost". So this guy could certainly get a non-parole period of less than seven years. (Though, of course, he may not be released at the end of his non-parole period; he'll be considered for release.)
    Deport him.
    Standard in Australia that if convicted he'll be deported back to Ireland, but not until he has completed the custodial part of any sentence that he gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Thats a couple of well publicized bad attacks by Irish people in the last few years in Sydney. There was the lads from Donegal who beat an old guy to death and then the lady from Wexford who murdered her fiance. Not a good image for the Irish community.

Cocaine is also a huge thing out there the last couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"Our best and brightest"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Pkiernan wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/irish-couple-charged-in-connection-with-assault-where-man-had-ear-partially-cut-off-in-australia-39493302.html

Got to love the Ozzies justice system.
    If convicted, he's facing a min 7 year sentence before parole and up to 25. Thatll cool his jets.

Far cry for a Poor Box donation.
    **** them my daughter in Perth says not a Week goes by e without some dopey paddy up for some crime or another.all drink drug related, making it hard for the normal hard working Irish ppl there to mix and be socially accepted properly,if the pricks with the wigs here took crime seriously and doled out substantial prison sentences we’d be in a far better country, bravo oz judiciary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

One possible maximum sentence. We have high max sentences too.

Let's see what they actually get and remember, this is a country that was considering it's use of juries after a police officer was paralysed and his attacker walked

Phrasing

• Advertisement

I seen this story and the girlfriend dragged the body into the hallway so she's in hot water
    And talking about hot she is absolutely stunning

**** her ok I’ll rephrase that” feck her”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Cheerio, enjoy Cell Block H Paddywhacks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Birneybau wrote: »
    Me hole she is.
    I'm poking fun at people who were going on about her being hot. Yeah THAT's the key characteristic in this context. :D

Anyone else find it strange the way Irish people call other Irish people "paddies"? Leave that to the English police of the 70s/80s folks. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

**** them my daughter in Perth says not a Week goes by e without some dopey paddy up for some crime or another.all drink drug related, making it hard for the normal hard working Irish ppl there to mix and be socially accepted properly,if the pricks with the wigs here took crime seriously and doled out substantial prison sentences we’d be in a far better country, bravo oz judiciary

Judges are constraint by law in what sentences they can impose - there is a whole body of sentencing jurisprudence out there that you should read up - if you think sentences are too lenient you should lobby your local TD for a change in the maximum sentence for any particular wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

McCrack wrote: »
    Judges are constraint by law in what sentences they can impose - there is a whole body of sentencing jurisprudence out there that you should read up - if you think sentences are too lenient you should lobby your local TD for a change in the maximum sentence for any particular wrong

Who chooses and appoints them - politicians - they set the standard. Id vote for anyone from any party that implimented an Oz style no bull**** imprisonment and deportation regime here. Long overdue - as is an overhaul of our oathetic criminal justice system. Ireland and Australia criminal system used be based on the same British system - how did we go so badly soft and wrong.

As for the skank in the bikini phoning up 4 blokes and having them hide in wait in the bathroom of her apartment and then dragging a badly injured, unconscious and bleeding man into the corridor to die - I hope they throw the book at her. And him... running around trying to get inside any apartment block and being hunted down by fit, committed police men - we need a lot more of that here - no bull**** proactive policing & sentencing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

If you scratch the surface there, you'll find that Katie didn't lick that behavior off the road!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

From what I've seen and read so far, I think she is in much bigger trouble than him and those 4 other guys.

It sounds like the victim attacked Earle first, a fight ensued and then she called the other 4 lads to come over following which she then hid in her bedroom.

This is when the real damage and attack started as far as I can see and she instigated it. On top of this, she dragged his body out of her apartment and then just left him there.

I hope she gets the book thrown at her because, ive seen some women instigate these beatings before and then play all dumb when the **** hits the fan but thankfully they have Facebook messenger messages to know she set this up.

She sounds like a sneaky nasty piece of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Anyone else find it strange the way Irish people call other Irish people "paddies"?

Not really, quite common also heard girls called Biddies although not as much. No different than New Zealanders that call themselves kiwis... I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Not really, quite common also heard girls called Biddies although not as much. No different than New Zealanders that call themselves kiwis... I suppose.
    Well I include biddies. That doesn't negate my point.

Kiwi isn't derogatory!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

IRE60 wrote: »
    If you scratch the surface there, you'll find that Katie didn't lick that behavior off the road!

Are you saying she is related to Nikiti Murtagh of train fame ?

I don't think she is but I good be wrong ,

Well I include biddies. That doesn't negate my point.

Kiwi isn't derogatory!

Is Paddy derogatory? I get called it all the time and I’m not offended it’s easier, but my mum usually calls me Pauric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Are you saying she is related to Nikiti Murtagh of train fame ?

I don't think she is but I good be wrong ,

Sheriff Street connections?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Hoboo wrote: »
    Sheriff Street connections?

I'm guessing that's what the poster is implying as she is Katie Murtagh and from the same area but i'm not convinced there related could be wrong ,
    Nikita and her brother currently serving time for well know Feud related incidents

I use/ used “paddy/ies” purely in the derogatory way for scum like these and these only, in my eyes they’re plastic paddy’s not real Irish at all more akin to the british lager louts rather than the majority hard working Irish folk in oz

Who chooses and appoints them - politicians - they set the standard. Id vote for anyone from any party that implimented an Oz style no bull**** imprisonment and deportation regime here. Long overdue - as is an overhaul of our oathetic criminal justice system. Ireland and Australia criminal system used be based on the same British system - how did we go so badly soft and wrong.

As for the skank in the bikini phoning up 4 blokes and having them hide in wait in the bathroom of her apartment and then dragging a badly injured, unconscious and bleeding man into the corridor to die - I hope they throw the book at her. And him... running around trying to get inside any apartment block and being hunted down by fit, committed police men - we need a lot more of that here - no bull**** proactive policing & sentencing.

Good to the point post

I use/ used “paddy/ies” purely in the derogatory way for scum like these and these only, in my eyes they’re plastic paddy’s not real Irish at all more akin to the british lager louts rather than the majority hard working Irish folk in oz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

From what I've seen and read so far, I think she is in much bigger trouble than him and those 4 other guys.

It sounds like the victim attacked Earle first, a fight ensued and then she called the other 4 lads to come over following which she then hid in her bedroom.

This is when the real damage and attack started as far as I can see and she instigated it. On top of this, she dragged his body out of her apartment and then just left him there.

I hope she gets the book thrown at her because, ive seen some women instigate these beatings before and then play all dumb when the **** hits the fan but thankfully they have Facebook messenger messages to know she set this up.

She sounds like a sneaky nasty piece of work.

She should have done it Ireland, where she'd face no charges at all.

https://www.thejournal.ie/man-stabbed-16-times-set-on-fire-offaly-circuit-court-5137580-Jun2020/

A LOW-LEVEL DRUG dealer was stabbed 16 times in his Co Offaly home and set on fire after his ex-girlfriend spread a false rumour that he was a garda informant.
    The victim, Ciarán Murphy (29) was found in a dog cage in his home by a passers-by who noticed his cottage was in flames.
    He was left with life-threatening injuries after he suffered 96% burns from his neck down and multiple stab wounds including into his heart cavity.
    Murphy now has no ears and almost five years after the attack he is still bleeding from some of the wounds that cover his body.

CrankyHaus wrote: »

https://www.thejournal.ie/man-stabbed-16-times-set-on-fire-offaly-circuit-court-5137580-Jun2020/

A LOW-LEVEL DRUG dealer was stabbed 16 times in his Co Offaly home and set on fire after his ex-girlfriend spread a false rumour that he was a garda informant.
    The victim, Ciarán Murphy (29) was found in a dog cage in his home by a passers-by who noticed his cottage was in flames.
    He was left with life-threatening injuries after he suffered 96% burns from his neck down and multiple stab wounds including into his heart cavity.
    Murphy now has no ears and almost five years after the attack he is still bleeding from some of the wounds that cover his body.
    God almighty wtf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

CrankyHaus wrote: »

Ah c'mere, that's going to make wearing RayBans a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

I'm poking fun at people who were going on about her being hot. Yeah THAT's the key characteristic in this context. :D

Anyone else find it strange the way Irish people call other Irish people "paddies"? Leave that to the English police of the 70s/80s folks. ;)

Its our N-word, we're reclaiming it for Skibberren!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

milehip wrote: »
    She may be hot, but It's deffo only skin deep in her case.

She could do with a bit more meat on her bones all-right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

I hope this piece of gutless SCUM gives the police a reason to use their guns, till the magazines are empty.

Patrick Farrell spent three years in jail for manslaughter over the violent death of 20-year-old student Andrew Dolan in his hometown of Kildare in Ireland in 2011.

The 29-year-old is now wanted by police in New South Wales following two vicious alleged attacks in Sydney's eastern suburbs in August 2020 and November 2019.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8750219/Family-one-punch-victim-question-Irish-killer-allowed-Australia.html

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

25 Years, plenty of time to meet the Wizard, (or at least one of his fans in there!)

Hopefully he gets locked up and comes out with an ass like a clowns pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Hopefully he gets locked up and comes out with an ass like a clowns pocket.

SouthPark_Nice.gif

How the hell did he get a visa to get into Australia after serving time for manslaughter in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

How the hell did he get a visa to get into Australia after serving time for manslaughter in Ireland.

Lied on application, seen it before

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Lied on application, seen it before

If he had proper sentence received for murdering the Irish lad in Kildare . He’s truly a danger to society.
    Australia wouldn’t bother him if it was my son he killed and he got a light sentence-little b...x

• Advertisement

Probably came on a Working Holiday visa, it’s only self declaration of a criminal history as it only a holiday visa. If it was a permanent visa you need a Gardaí certificate.

If he had proper sentence received for murdering the Irish lad in Kildare . He’s truly a danger to society. Australia wouldn’t bother him if it was my son he killed and he got a light sentence-little b...x

I don’t know about the case at all, sounds dodgy enough though, I know of one or two dodgy enough criminals that I suspect illegally entered Oz, worked cash in hand for some time, he certainly does sound dangerous, people certainly do fall through the cracks

mandrake04 wrote:
    Probably came on a Working Holiday visa, it’s only self declaration of a criminal history as it only a holiday visa. If it was a permanent visa you need a Gardaí certificate.

Yea I know a couple of lads that done this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

walshb wrote: »
    Yes. Look quite normal/decent...

Usually these type people have that look off them..

They deffo have a scummy head on a second look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Before people start universally praising the Australian justice system I'd like to remind them of the late Jill Meagher, an Irish lady who was murdered 8 years ago in Melbourne.

At the time of her death her murderer Adrian Ernest Bayley had a string of convictions for rape and assault going back 20 years, many of which were committed when he was on bail, parole or after having been released early from sentences.

Are the irish in Oz worse than the muslims in Sweden? Discuss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Are the Irish in Oz worse than the Irish in Sweden? Discuss.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

old_aussie wrote: »
    I hope this piece of gutless SCUM gives the police a reason to use their guns, till the magazines are empty.

Patrick Farrell spent three years in jail for manslaughter over the violent death of 20-year-old student Andrew Dolan in his hometown of Kildare in Ireland in 2011.

The 29-year-old is now wanted by police in New South Wales following two vicious alleged attacks in Sydney's eastern suburbs in August 2020 and November 2019.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8750219/Family-one-punch-victim-question-Irish-killer-allowed-Australia.html

The Daily Mail seems to go out of its way to find any story where the Irish have done something wrong.

Just like any country we have loads of scumbags and yes they are our problem and should be deported back here just like we should be deporting foreigners who commit crime here.

The Daily Mail seems to go out of its way to find any story where the Irish have done something wrong.

Just like any country we have loads of scumbags and yes they are our problem and should be deported back here just like we should be deporting foreigners who commit crime here.

They have an Australia heading on their website - this is news in Australia- it’s not their fault an Irishman has committed a crime over there; their just reporting on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

They have an Australia heading on their website - this is news in Australia- it’s not their fault an Irishman has committed a crime over there; their just reporting on it

Fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

No.. but their as bad as some of the ones in London, New York and Boston!? They haven't really 'kicked' of in Canada just yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement