Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

Clegg wrote: »
    The hierarchy at openside is intriguing. A fit and in form Leavy is an incredible player. Nuisance on the deck and a powerful carrier. But in his absence VdF has been one of Leinster's most consistent performers and our overall best player this season imo. Could potentially see Leavy move to blindside to accommodate both on the pitch. But that leaves Ruddock in the wilderness when he's done nothing to warrant a benching.

Dunno about that, there is a reason he wasn't with ireland and he admitted as much in an interview with Luke.

aloooof wrote: »
    VdF did somewhat similar last season, returned from injury in the Pro 14 SF and was brilliant straight out of the gate, getting man of the match, he was class that day.

Obviously VdF wasn't out for as long as Leavy, but hopefully Leavy can return to his pre-injury levels, I'd wish him all the best (just not against Munster ;))

Leavy's career was almost over, he has a huge task to get back to where he was pre-injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Dunno about that, there is a reason he wasn't with ireland and he admitted as much in an interview with Luke.

Be interested see how he's worked on his game from the feedback got in relation to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Is Ruddock the most overlooked player in Irish rugby over the last 10 years? Always seems to miss out in marginal selections. Never lets the team down when he plays. He’s had some bad luck with the timing of injuries which hasn’t helped. He probably just lacks a little bit of dynamism at the top level compared with other options. I think (post injury) Leavy will do extremely well to come back and start regularly ahead of him though. Ruddock, VDF and Doris with Conan off the bench? Deegan and Leavy next in line. Then Josh Murphy? Some depth. If Leavy somehow manages to get back to pre injury form I’d be starting him. Would be horses for courses-more open games I’d have Leavy and VDF, slower games Ruddock and Leavy.

Leavy was already a bit slow for a 7, this injury won't help him there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

apart from the obvious huge trauma his leg suffered. He is quite obviously going to be behind the rest.

That's why I said "as level a playing field as you could ask for"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Will leavy be ready for munster? big ask for his 1st game back in over a year.
    apart from the obvious huge trauma his leg suffered. He is quite obviously going to be behind the rest.

If you knew the answer, why did you ask the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

aloooof wrote: »
    VdF did somewhat similar last season, returned from injury in the Pro 14 SF and was brilliant straight out of the gate, getting man of the match, he was class that day.

Obviously VdF wasn't out for as long as Leavy, but hopefully Leavy can return to his pre-injury levels, I'd wish him all the best (just not against Munster ;))

As far as Leavy - It would take some time to bed in the rough and tumble of game knocks to his leg. He needs to earn game time so his speed off his bad leg will need to be as sharp as before, before he gets game time. I would say we will see him late October if I was to guess, after 2/3 months of contact and full tilt training. If he holds up in that regard there is no reason not to play him provided he is earning his place on current training form and not on past reputation

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Granny15 wrote: »
    As far as Leavy - It would take some time to bed in the rough and tumble of game knocks to his leg. He needs to earn game time so his speed off his bad leg will need to be as sharp as before, before he gets game time. I would say we will see him late October if I was to guess, after 2/3 months of contact and full tilt training. If he holds up in that regard there is no reason not to play him provided he is earning his place on current training form and not on past reputation

He was thought to be close to playing In March so I’m not sure he could be further back in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

salmocab wrote: »
    Going to be very interesting starting off with probably all back rows available between the internationals usually back slightly later and then away regularly generally it’s rare that they are all fit and available at the same time and even then it’s generally understood that for big games who is likely in but this year all could be available for a good while before the internationals and an injury or two kick in.

Maybe they should consider a move to inside centre for Deegan? He's a much better footballer than Henshaw - better passer, better offloader, better footwork, probably a better kicker. Smarter player all round really. It'd be interesting to see how he'd go there.

• Advertisement

Maybe they should consider a move to inside centre for Deegan? He's a much better footballer than Henshaw - better passer, better offloader, better footwork, probably a better kicker. Smarter player all round really. It'd be interesting to see how he'd go there.

dear lord, Deegan outgrew the position as a 4th year in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Harrison Brewer and Jordan Coghlan think it's a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I agree 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Harrison Brewer and Jordan Coghlan think it's a great idea.

Tom Youngs is probably the best success story. IIRC he was converted from centre to hooker.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

So would you say it's time to give Will Connors an extended run?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Virtual Q&A with CEO Micky D on Thursday night where you can submit questions in advance.

Details emailed to ST holders.

So would you say it's time to give Will Connors an extended run?

I don’t think Connors has the pace around the park to be a top class 7. Tackle stats are up there but you want more from your 7 than an out and out tackler. In fact I think that’s all he brings to the team. He jogs around the pitch and is laboured.

There’s a lot of hype surrounding him and you’d wonder why given the points I just made. Maybe a cohort of school friends on rugby websites and country commentators who cream themselves at his “reads”. About the only guff they can come up with about him because he is very slow and offers very little else.

I don’t think Connors has the pace around the park to be a top class 7. Tackle stats are up there but you want more from your 7 than an out and out tackler. In fact I think that’s all he brings to the team. He jogs around the pitch and is laboured.

There’s a lot of hype surrounding him and you’d wonder why given the points I just made. Maybe a cohort of school friends on rugby websites and country commentators who cream themselves at his “reads”. About the only guff they can come up with about him because he is very slow and offers very little else.

I really wonder what your beef with him is.

I really wonder what your beef with him is.

Did you ever think I just other players higher and am sick of the imbalanced fan club he gets online? He’s an all right player nothing more

Did you ever think I just other players higher and am sick of the imbalanced fan club he gets online? He’s an all right player nothing more

No because you’ve banged on about him since he came in the scene, even once if I remember right claiming that he was only making so many tackles to get his stats up, You’ve given out about him so much that people here mention him to just get a rise out of you.

• Advertisement

No because you’ve banged on about him since he came in the scene, even once if I remember right claiming that he was only making so many tackles to get his stats up, You’ve given out about him so much that people here mention him to just get a rise out of you.

A player does what he is within his abilities to do on the field. For Connors that is tackling. Players before him were selfish Darcy comes to mind butchering overlaps to try and go on solo runs to get the try himself. He often got it but the times he didn’t I thought it was selfish. Is Connors the same? Only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I can't believe I just googled what school Connors went to, should have been immiedately obvious. One of the more hilariously sadly predictable things on the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,290 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Confirmed that Rob Kearney and Fergus McFadden will be given a chance to go out on a high as both have extended their contracts to complete the season.

Both players' deals were due to expire at the end of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

clsmooth wrote: »
    Is Ruddock the most overlooked player in Irish rugby over the last 10 years? Always seems to miss out in marginal selections. Never lets the team down when he plays. He’s had some bad luck with the timing of injuries which hasn’t helped. He probably just lacks a little bit of dynamism at the top level compared with other options. I think (post injury) Leavy will do extremely well to come back and start regularly ahead of him though. Ruddock, VDF and Doris with Conan off the bench? Deegan and Leavy next in line. Then Josh Murphy? Some depth. If Leavy somehow manages to get back to pre injury form I’d be starting him. Would be horses for courses-more open games I’d have Leavy and VDF, slower games Ruddock and Leavy.

He's certainly up there alright. I'm a big fan, but for me it's a lack of explosiveness that holds him back, relative to some of the others. He's superior in many facets to others, but doesn't tend to have those wow moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Might have missed it, but is Lowe out of contract at the end of this season or has he signed an extension/renewal yet? His original contract was reported as 3 years in 2017 by most places.

no contract extensions have been announced for players who were out of contract at the end of this season, but Mick Dawson said that all the players contracts were decided/sorted for next season so presume he has signed a new one and it hasn't been announced along with probably a 3rd of the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

All players have tested clear. We’re back

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Wonder what the story is with Lowe. Training starts tomorrow but he's in New Zealand. When he comes back he presumably has to quarantine for 2 weeks. I'm guessing he's going to return as it would have been reported in the media by now if he wasn't.

Wonder what the story is with Lowe. Training starts tomorrow but he's in New Zealand. When he comes back he presumably has to quarantine for 2 weeks. I'm guessing he's going to return as it would have been reported in the media by now if he wasn't.

There seems to be some rumours floating around but nothing firm. I've not heard anything from anyone that is generally in the know.

Huge loss if he doesn't come back, he's a massive part of the Leinster backline and he'll walk into the national team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

How do you know he's in NZ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement