Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€257,000 compo ~ but why?.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Until reading this thread, I'd have accepted the condition as the consequences of my own fucking stupidity for not looking where I was going.

Now I know I can get the price of a house out of it, I think I'd contact a solicitor fairly sharpish.

Ludicrous that we pay people for being idiots but my first duty is to my kids and that sort of cash would put a nice roof over their heads.

Is it possible that the amount was so inflated in order to cover crazy medical bills? Or was he treated on his own health insurance / the HSE and this is simply money "for his troubles" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Bambi wrote: »
    Personal opinion: if you leave cabling trailing across the ground then you should be liable for any accidents that ensue, you could have taken simple measure's to ensure that no-one trips over it but you didn't.

You are right, and that is why we should be able to sue. However it isn't the idiot who left the cable trailing that is getting sued - it's his employer. I doubt that his union in the ESB would allow a mention of this on his permanent record so he won't be punished in any way while the ESBs customers pick up the tab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Sleepy wrote: »
    Until reading this thread, I'd have accepted the condition as the consequences of my own fucking stupidity for not looking where I was going.

Now I know I can get the price of a house out of it, I think I'd contact a solicitor fairly sharpish.

Ludicrous that we pay people for being idiots but my first duty is to my kids and that sort of cash would put a nice roof over their heads.

Is it possible that the amount was so inflated in order to cover crazy medical bills? Or was he treated on his own health insurance / the HSE and this is simply money "for his troubles" :rolleyes:

Welcome back from 2005 :P

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I study Law and we see cases like this all the time.

A similar, very memorable one, is one when a 12 year old boy walked 25 minutes from his home, climbed a 6ft wall, jumped over a wired fence, past lots of "danger signs" and climbed up one of those electrical tower things. Poor boy got electrocuted.

His family managed to sue the ESB for millions due to negligence. I feel bad that he got electrocuted, but he clearly went out of his way to climb the thing and at 12 I think he should have had more sense not to.

Cases like that are won every day. Its ridiculous.
    On what grounds were the ESB negligent? And did they counter-sue the kids parents for their negligence which resulted in damage to their property? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Next thing you'll be telling me that primary schools ban running in the yard to avoid injuries and claims ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Fair play to him.

Samich wrote: »
    Welcome back from 2005 :P
    €250k would buy a fairly nice house in Swords or Raheny. Do me fine ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Next thing you'll be telling me that primary schools ban running in the yard to avoid injuries and claims ;)

Mine did and that was back in the 80's :confused:

Fair play to him.

I bet you'll be sickened if he turns out to be a foreigner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

typical "gimme gimme gimme" attitude of a PS worker

ffs it's not limited to PS workers.

• Advertisement

On what grounds were the ESB negligent? And did they counter-sue the kids parents for their negligence which resulted in damage to their property? ;)

I was going to ask the same thing but though it might be considered poor taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

mikemac1 wrote: »

I thought they did this now.

Yes, it's gone on for a long time in schools

I've used the wrong smilie maybe or my post wasn't clear

Is it an unlucky co-incidence that he worked for the lighting department and the cabling was from a lamp, possible the very lamp he was about to work on with his ladder? Sounds like a setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

hondasam wrote: »
    ffs it's not limited to PS workers.
    Isn't everyone working a PS worker though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

He was right to claim , but Justice Mary Irvine was wrong to award such a large amount

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Ficheall

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I study Law and we see cases like this all the time.

A similar, very memorable one, is one when a 12 year old boy walked 25 minutes from his home, climbed a 6ft wall, jumped over a wired fence, past lots of "danger signs" and climbed up one of those electrical tower things. Poor boy got electrocuted.

His family managed to sue the ESB for millions due to negligence. I feel bad that he got electrocuted, but he clearly went out of his way to climb the thing and at 12 I think he should have had more sense not to.

Cases like that are won every day. Its ridiculous.

Are the claimants ever smacked upside the head and told to cop the **** on?

Isn't everyone working a PS worker though...

Isn't that an oxymoron?

The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers

Shakespeare was a wise man

Ficheall wrote: »
    Are the claimants ever smacked upside the head and told to cop the **** on?

Probably not because they have a habit of being litigious. So it might not be cost effective...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

O yeah that makes sense, perfect award. Esp when you think of this:
    Court reduces pay award for woman who underwent symphysiotomy
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 12:08 PM

The Supreme Court has cut the €450,000 awarded to a 60-year-old Co Louth woman who underwent symphysiotomy in 1969.

Olivia Kearney of Rosses Hollow, Milestown, Castlebellingham will now receive €325,000 damages as a result of the controversial procedure carried out at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda in 1969.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

He was right to claim lads its not like he said i want 257,000 coz i cant fish or play the bag pipes anymore.. This was awarded to him by a judge whats he gonna say "no your alright judge i just want enough for a taxi home"... Noone here thats on here calling him a scumbag and a knacker... I wonder if u were awarded that amount of money wud turn it dwn considering how many family members you could help out with that money..cop on lads if anyone on her was awarded that you wud snap it up and dnt try and tell me otherwise...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

juan.kerr wrote: »
    I was going to ask the same thing but though it might be considered poor taste.

I can't remember too well but I'm pretty sure they were considered negligent because the tower was in close proximity of the boys primary school, and because of this, the judge thought it was reasonably forseeable that a child's curious nature would entice him to investigate the tower.

They were negligent because they should have had someone guarding the tower during sociable hours to prevent curious children hurting themselves :rolleyes:

The county council which approved the tower to be placed where it was were fined too, I think.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Can someone please explain the amount awarded ?

It's not loss of income.

How much did the surgery cost and was it successful ?

But most importantly it bears no relation to the sort of payouts that car insurance companies would pay for loss of fingers / limbs.

If an ESB van ran over someone they'd only get a fraction of this :mad:

http://www.injuriesboard.ie/eng/Estimator/
    Shoulder/Upper Arm injuries

€111,000 to €145,000 - Loss of one arm (above elbow)
    €141,000 to €197,000 – Loss of both arms
    Up to €22,600 – Minor soft tissue injury - good recovery
    €14,800 to €51,500 – Moderate soft tissue injury – Significant ongoing condition
    €41,000 to €71,600 – Severe soft tissue injury (serious & permanent condition)
    €14,600 to €25,600 – Minor dislocation - good recovery
    €20,200 to €54,600 – Moderate dislocation – significant ongoing condition
    €46,400 to €74,500 – Severe dislocation – serious and permanent condition
    €15,400 to €29,300 – Minor fracture -good recovery
    €21,000 to €72,400 – Moderate fracture – significant ongoing condition
    €46,900 to €82,900 – Severe fracture (serious and permanent condition)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Bessiebee

the award will have been made up of general damages & special damages - the bulk of it for specials, i.e. his out of pocket expenses, future loss of earnings etc. If he was 55 he had potentially 10 years loss of earnings, any sick pay, disability benefit etc would be off set against this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

If someone offers me 200 grand I'm gonna take it but I would never even think about making a claim when it was my own stupidity that caused my fall.

If I skip along the road tomorrow and happen to trip over a pushchair and injure myself, can I claim for damages off the parents and child? Should said pushchair owner prepare a risk assessment for each outing, have warning signs in place and a first aid kit?

Fecking madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Bessiebee

If someone offers me 200 grand I'm gonna take it but I would never even think about making a claim when it was my own stupidity that caused my fall.

If I skip along the road tomorrow and happen to trip over a pushchair and injure myself, can I claim for damages off the parents and child? Should said pushchair owner prepare a risk assessment for each outing, have warning signs in place and a first aid kit?

Fecking madness

You could probably sue the manufacturers of the pushchair, a good solicitor would find a good engineer who would prove beyond all reasonable doubt that it was defective, hence your trip ... it really is that easy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

semi-shocked at the response!

"had to undergo surgery 2 years later".

Surgeons don't operate on people who don't need surgery. He was obviously suffering badly with his neck. I've had a bad neck before for a week and it was torture!! Years of it would be soul destroying.

Easy to laugh it off as compensation culture but truth is he was carrying a ladder tripped on cable that should not have been there and the result is this. Basic negligence they had a duty of care to ensure the big spool of wire wasnt all over the place. If an 8 year old child tripped on it and broke his neck woulda been a tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Ficheall

An 8 year old child wouldn't have been so fecking careless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Martin_ie2012

This is strange definitely an excessive amount of compensation. The deep sea fishing and bagpipes thing seems highly irrelevaqnt also as neither of these were a career so he hasnt suffered a financial loss as a result of not being able to do these things. Also the judge is critical of him and basically says he has not even tried to look for work then turns around and awards 250,000, the mind boggles.

Advertisement