Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you dry your clothes?

Options
  • 27-03-2018 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Until recently I’ve been using a clothes horse for clothes and dryer for towels underwear etc. Moving house soon and i don’t really have anywhere for a clothes horse. Does anyone tumble dry most of their clothes? Do they shrink or loose quality?
    If I wanted to dry clothes in my shed would I need to insulate it etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I use a tumble dryer for everything, live in apartment, and noticed no issues with clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

In my experience standalone tumble dryers are fine, combination washer/dryers cook and destroy your clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,248 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Shouldn't really be drying clothes like that indoors - just asking for mould to come on in (clotheshorse that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

CD2017 wrote: »
    If I wanted to dry clothes in my shed would I need to insulate it etc?

No, insulation is about keeping heat in, which requires that you close doors and windows, which means the clothes would never dry. If you're drying clothes in a shed, you leave the window and door open, as I do. Just make sure you don't store any food there which might attract foxes or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭CD2017

That’s great thanks! With regard to the shed, doors and windows open to circulate air, do you have a little heater or anything that you use also? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

My tumblr dryer is in the shed

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

FYI.
    I put clothes on an extra spin cycle in the machine before removing for drying. I find it removes even more water which significantly shortens drying time.
    Which in my case is on a clothes horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

FYI.
    I put clothes on an extra spin cycle in the machine before removing for drying. I find it removes even more water which significantly shortens drying time.
    Which in my case is on a clothes horse.

I’ve heard of people putting a dry towel in before spin cycle to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

CD2017 wrote: »
    That’s great thanks! With regard to the shed, doors and windows open to circulate air, do you have a little heater or anything that you use also? Thanks

Nope. The problem with a heater in a shed to dry clothes is that you need to keep the door and windows closed or the heat will escape and you'll be simply wasting money. And if you use a heater to pump warm air into a closed space with hanging wet clothes, you'll get mould on the walls.

If you're prepared to wait longer for your clothes to dry, a well ventilated shed will do the job but it might take a few days in damp Irish weather.

Advertisement