Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Para regiment under investigation for shooting at posters of Jeremy Corbyn

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Aegir wrote: »

Is calling for 18 Paras to be killed a reasonable response? No, it is stupid but that seems to have avoided any form of outrage (or censor) completely.

not meaning to back seat mod (by which i mean i'm about to jump in feet first, and also lodged firmly in my mouth!! ;) ) but did you report the post?

If you did, and the mods have seen it, and deemed it acceptable, that's one thing, but in fairness expecting the mods to keep on top of every post in on of the busiest forums on here is a touch much.

not meaning to back seat mod (by which i mean i'm about to jump in feet first, and also lodged firmly in my mouth!! ;) ) but did you report the post?

If you did, and the mods have seen it, and deemed it acceptable, that's one thing, but in fairness expecting the mods to keep on top of every post in on of the busiest forums on here is a touch much.

I did, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Hardly surprising. If they were measured intellectual types who could see past the "Corbyn is an IRA loving satanist" propaganda, then they wouldnt be British Army soldiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Aegir wrote: »
    I did, yes.

That’s two of us then.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,433 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

That’s two of us then.

The 2 lowlifes that thanked the post should be banned as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The 2 lowlifes that thanked the post should be banned as well.

I don't think calling posters low lives is particular nice either.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I don't think calling posters low lives is particular nice either.

Anyone calling for mass murder is a lowlife in my eyes.

One wonders what the response would be from the same posters if i were to call for another Gibraltar or Loughgall in the Car bomb in Londenderry thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

One wonders what the response would be from the same posters if i were to call for another Gibraltar or Loughgall in the Car bomb in Londenderry thread.

Well it wouldn't be suprise anyway

Bambi wrote: »
    Well it wouldn't be suprise anyway

Why would you say that? Have i ever called for mass murder before?

Usually I agree but on any Bloody Sunday discussion there was numerous posters implying the murder victims of the paratroopers had it coming through some action or association they may have had that day. So when people call out one form of murder and not another it makes me think their motives may not be apolitical.

• Advertisement

Usually I agree but on any Bloody Sunday discussion there was numerous posters implying the murder victims of the paratroopers had it coming through some action or association they may have had that day. So when people call out one form of murder and not another it makes me think their motives may not be apolitical.

I seen that, those posters are lowlifes as well.

I seen that, those posters are lowlifes as well.

Well then fair enough Timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

People call for 'terrorists' to be killed all the time and no word about it so why should it be different for soldiers? War is war, suck it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

schizo1014 wrote: »
    People call for 'terrorists' to be killed all the time and no word about it so why should it be different for soldiers? War is war, suck it up!

If you are calling past troubles in NI a war then all "soldiers" should be accountable to the rule of law?-Do you agree?

RobMc59 wrote: »
    If you are calling past troubles in NI a war then all "soldiers" should be accountable to the rule of law?-Do you agree?

Do normal laws apply during wars?

Do normal laws apply during wars?

I was under the impression they do and they apply to all parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,105 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

One of the players in the conflict/war to be above the law was this very regiment, funnily enough.

One of the players in the conflict/war to be above the law was this very regiment, funnily enough.

You've changed your opinion-I thought you didn't consider it a war?

You've changed your opinion-I thought you didn't consider it a war?

You are thinking of the wrong man again. I have always defined it using both - conflict/war.

I was under the impression they do and they apply to all parties.

But unfortunately it didn't work that way. Loyalist and republican terrorists were jailed yet other murders carried out by the British army were rewarded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

I have always defined it using both - conflict/war.

If it was a war surely the murder of civilians ( people in shops, pubs, restaurants, retired public servants etc ) were war crimes. Even in normal wars "soldiers" who killed while operating in civilian clothes are often accused of being spies / shot when caught. And if they were soldiers, which government were they answerable to, r employed by, or acting on behalf of?

janfebmar wrote: »
    If it was a war surely the murder of civilians ( people in shops, pubs, restaurants, retired public servants etc ) were war crimes. Even in normal wars "soldiers" who killed while operating in civilian clothes are often accused of being spies / shot when caught. And if they were soldiers, which government were they answerable to, r employed by, or acting on behalf of?

I'd have thought killing innocent people was a crime whether there was a war on or not?

Maybe that is just me.

I'd have thought killing innocent people was a crime whether there was a war on or not?

Of course killing innocent people was a crime whether there was a war on or not. That is not the point. I'd have though killing people unlawfully was a crime whether there was a war on or not.

(1) As I said, if it was a war surely the murder of civilians ( people in shops, pubs, restaurants, retired public servants etc ) were war crimes?

(2) Even in normal wars "soldiers" who killed while operating in civilian clothes are often accused of being spies / shot when caught. So was it a war or not?

(3) And if they were soldiers, which government were they answerable to, were employed by, or acting on behalf of?

Of course killing innocent people was a crime whether there was a war on or not. That is not the point. I'd have though killing people unlawfully was a crime whether there was a war on or not.

(1) As I said, if it was a war surely the murder of civilians ( people in shops, pubs, restaurants, retired public servants etc ) were war crimes?

(2) Even in normal wars "soldiers" who killed while operating in civilian clothes are often accused of being spies / shot when caught. So was it a war or not?

(3) And if they were soldiers, which government were they answerable to, were employed by, or acting on behalf of?

You need to have this debate with somebody who thinks the distinction is of any importance. I use 'conflict/war' in deference to the 1000's who died, to whom such distinctions matter not.

You need to have this debate with somebody who thinks the distinction is of any importance. I use 'conflict/war' in deference to the 1000's who died, to whom such distinctions matter not.

I find it interesting that while the aim of the armed struggle was to get the "Brits out", nobody can justify it as a "war" in the true sense of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I find it interesting that while the aim of the armed struggle was to get the "Brits out", nobody can justify it as a "war" in the true sense of the word.

It was asyemmetric warfare.

Odhinn wrote: »
    It was asyemmetric warfare.

Indeed, and as is well known that when asymmetric warfare is practiced outside the laws of war, it is often defined as terrorism, though rarely by its practitioners or their supporters.

Indeed, and as is well known that when asymmetric warfare is practiced outside the laws of war, it is often defined as terrorism, though rarely by its practitioners or their supporters.

The 'laws of war' have not been obeyed since the dawn of time. Such rubbish.

The 'laws of war' have not been obeyed since the dawn of time.

Indeed they generally are by democratic EEC / EU governments. Not by terrorist organisations of course.

• Advertisement

Indeed they generally are by democratic EEC / EU governments. Not by terrorist organisations of course.

Ah slipping in the old 'generally' there I see.

Advertisement