Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you look at your phone while walking

• 10-10-2018 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Do you look at your phone while walking around town?

Do you look at your phone while walking around town 94 votes

Yes
    57% 54 votes
    No
    42% 40 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

No, tends to help with not injuring myself.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No and if I meet someone doing so I no longer step out of their way and let them bump in to a little old man.

No. I am not a self obsessing nitwit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭maccored

no, but I was wondering why so many do. outside of looking up google maps for directions, I dont get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

No and if I meet someone doing so I no longer step out of their way and let them bump in to a little old man.

Once saw a group of girls on phones walk straight into a blind woman and her guide dog. Only kept myself civil because I helped the woman get past and didn't want to scare her dog.

They did not apologise or even register the poor woman was there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

No, too busy looking out for dogsh*t to avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Same here Peter Narrow Radiology with added elbow pointed towards the perpetrators!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

maccored wrote: »
    no, but I was wondering why so many do. outside of looking up google maps for directions, I dont get it

I do this sometimes, but I've practiced and managed to learn to do it while standing still, out of the way.

Thread needs a sometimes/rarely option, I don't mind people who do it sometimes, in an emergency or rush or whatever, it's the eejits that do it habitually and seem to think that everyone around them should mind their welfare and safety

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

It depends where I am. In a busy area most likely no unless I've to send a message. In a quiet area i'll walk around with my phone out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Same here Srameen with added elbow pointed towards the perpetrators!

Umbrella season is coming!!!

:evil:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

If I need to use my phone, I pull in to the side.

Walking around town and staring into your phone is just asking to get injured or robbed. Yeah, I'm victim-blaming here - play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

It's also incredibly annoying when you're walking behind someone and they stop dead in their tracks to look at something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Do you look at your phone while walking around town?
    No. I'm not a gob****e obsessed with social media etc

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭setanta1000

The same tool has walked into me three times in the last month as I am on my morning run - I gave up avoiding him after the first five times I had to jump into traffic to avoid him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

In a quiet area i'll walk around with my phone out

I think this is acceptable. You're not putting yourself at risk nor annoying anyone.

Yes, for the adrenaline rush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Ghekko wrote: »
    No, too busy looking out for dogsh*t to avoid.

...along with vomit in Harcourt street during the approach to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Only if I'm trying to avoid someone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

textwalkpole.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I do sometimes.

I’m still aware of my surroundings though and I’ve never bumped into anyone. Where I used work before, there were people who would purposely stand in my line of sight thinking I couldn’t see them, who were left frustrated when I’d simply walk around them.

If I’m in someone’s company though, I don’t tend to pull out the phone on a whim, and I’ll always excuse myself if I have to take a call. I absolutely get that for some people they don’t like the idea of anyone using their phones in their company, but I can’t say it’s something I’ve ever been bothered by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The same tool has walked into me three times in the last month as I am on my morning run - I gave up avoiding him after the first five times I had to jump into traffic to avoid him

Joggers who imagine they have some right of way on the pavement are annoying though. I do step out of their way if I see them coming as I don’t want to break their run, but I cannot understand people who appear to want people to bump into them. What’s that about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

This is actually my pet hate !! There seems to be a certain demographic that does it. I've brought it up here loads of times in the past and was told "its just the way it is now" :rolleyes:

There is nothing normal about this behaviour. Apart from being really inconsiderate to others in your vicinity by not being aware, its also very dangerous and will eventually cause you back and neck problems.

I work in Dublin city and driving around at rush hour I've had numerous near misses with people jumping out in front of me with their phones.

I have two smart phones, one for work and my own personal one. I usually have one connected to wireless earbuds but its in my pocket and I only really take it out when I'm sitting on the bus or in my office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Nothing is so urgent you need to be on the phone all the day? I never have mine out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah. All the time. It's where I check and reply to emails. Don't have time to do it in the office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Graces7 wrote: »
    Nothing is so urgent you need to be on the phone all the day?

I'd rather not have to work longer than I have to in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I do sometimes.

I’m still aware of my surroundings though and I’ve never bumped into anyone. Where I used work before, there were people who would purposely stand in my line of sight thinking I couldn’t see them, who were left frustrated when I’d simply walk around them.

If I’m in someone’s company though, I don’t tend to pull out the phone on a whim, and I’ll always excuse myself if I have to take a call. I absolutely get that for some people they don’t like the idea of anyone using their phones in their company, but I can’t say it’s something I’ve ever been bothered by.

That's good going with one eye!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

If I'm listening to music or a podcast I might take it out to change an album etc. That's about it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

D3V!L wrote: »
    its also very dangerous and will eventually cause you back and neck problems.

Such utter horsesh1t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I wonder if evolution will give us the ability to use out two eyes independently. One to follow bookface and the other to watch where we're going. You know, like those lizard things. :)

its also very dangerous and will eventually cause you back and neck problems.
    Such utter horsesh1t

Walking slouched with your head hanging looking at your phone will put extreme pressure on your neck. Work away and keep doing it if thats what you're doing.

My wife is counting on all these damaged necks for our retirement plan :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

only if reading a text or using maps

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Walking slouched with your head hanging looking at your phone will put extreme pressure on your neck. Work away and keep doing it if thats what you're doing.

My wife is counting on all these damaged necks for our retirement plan :D

Ask any physio about this, they have people (particularly young people) arriving in with back and neck problems all the time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

No, knowing my luck, I'd get it snatched, crash into someone or fall down a manhole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, I frequently would.

Bumping into people is an awareness issue, not really to do with phones. Without the phones, these would be the same people who walk 3 abreast slowly, stop in the middle of a busy path to look in a shop window, or step off a kerb with their back to traffic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

There seems to be a huge increase in people doing video calls while walking.

I assume that's what they are doing anyway, they are holding the phone up in front of thier face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I only look at my phone while driving, it's much safer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

I saw a woman walk out in front of a bus in Dublin a few years ago while looking at her phone. Luckily for her the driver was driving slowly and turning left and I can only assume that he saw her and what she was doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭setanta1000

Joggers who imagine they have some right of way on the pavement are annoying though. I do step out of their way if I see them coming as I don’t want to break their run, but I cannot understand people who appear to want people to bump into them. What’s that about?

I agree 100% and my rule usually is if I am moving faster than you it is my responsibility to get out of your way....BUT.......if the same idiot is repeatedly walking in the middle of the footpath and not looking at anything and without any consideration a little shoulder brush might wake him up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Yes, but I've great spacial awareness and am always conscious of my peripheral vision because I always played sports growing up which I think really helps. Even when it comes to crossing the road between traffic I can judge the timing really well.

A lot of people have no awareness of their surroundings though, even without using phones these are the type of people who can't walk in a straight line on a footpath and take the whole place up making it hard for you to pass and cause you to do that awkward dance when walking past each other when you're talking towards each other. These people have no business doing anything other than concentrating fully on not being dumbasses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Absolutely not.

Anyone who does is an idiot.

If I need to look at my phone, I'll stop and step out of the way. People who walk with their face in a phone are just ignorant

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I have vowed not to get out of their way anymore.
    But yesterday, while one was walking towards me, a smile appeared on my face and I started to think that "this one is going into that bush".

Then I started to think that if she looked up to sidestep at the last moment, she would see this grinning buffoon approaching her ready to knock her into a bush, what would that look like.

She didn't look up, I sidestepped. I let out an audible 'tut' though.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I have vowed not to get out of their way anymore.
    But yesterday, while one was walking towards me, a smile appeared on my face and I started to think that "this one is going into that bush".

Then I started to think that if she looked up to sidestep at the last moment, she would see this grinning buffoon approaching her ready to knock her into a bush, what would that look like.

She didn't look up, I sidestepped. I let out an audible 'tut' though.

I refuse to get out of anyone's way that does this and I also refuse to engage with people that are looking at their phones and trying to take part in a conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

Yeah I do, but I always have a quick glance ahead to see who/what is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

pedestrian.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Has it become socailly acceptable for people to walk across roads while looking at thier phones?

I have noticed that it seems like the rule rather than the exception these days.
    It completely puts the onus on the driver to notice that the pedestrian is in thier own little world.
    They might as well be walking across the road with thier eyes closed.
    A giveaway is not only the head down, but first indications are a slower walk than normal.

It is really odd the more I think about it.
    Do people read physical books/newspapers when crossing the road/walking around no.
    They are starting to put thier head up less and less.
    Even when walking outside.
    How many times does the person who is walking and looking where they are going have to take evasive action as a phone zombie is walking towards them?
    It is like a real life horror film.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Has it become socailly acceptable for people to walk across roads while looking at thier phones?

I have noticed that it seems like the rule rather than the exception these days.
    It completely puts the onus on the driver to notice that the pedestrian is in thier own little world.
    The onus has ALWAYS been on the driver to notice the pedestrian. The driver is the one in control of the lethal weapon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Happy to make way for joggers, I don’t give an inch to cyclists in the footpath (daily occurrence) and I don’t make way for pedestrians not paying attention to where they are going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Only when I'm lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Nope, it's extremely stupid and dangerous

i try not to. good way to get it robbed

• Advertisement
Advertisement