Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1984 takes another step closer, German state to jail anyone who burns an EU flag. Thi

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

This is not fair on people who own flag shops. Their income is dependent on angry groups burning flags!

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

There's a whiff of the auld mental reservation here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭Odhinn

If you bothered to read the article you'd note that destroying flags generally is subject to those penalties and this motion just seeks to put the EU flag on the same list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

This is not fair on people who own flag shops. Their income is dependent on angry groups burning flags!

To be fair the Germans have a long history of burning things - not just flegs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's the same penalty as for burning a German flag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

Odhinn wrote: »
    If you bothered to read the article you'd note that destroying flags generally is subject to those penalties and this motion just seeks to put the EU flag on the same list.

Yes I did bother to read it are you suggesting the EU flag represents a nation?

Not burning flags might increase global warming, as they'd act as blankets for retaining heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Fun fact

In January 1941, the flag of Nazi Germany flying from the German consulate in San Francisco was slashed and torn down by two United States Navy sailors.

They were arrested, tried, and convicted of malicious mischief.
    The German government protested the incident and the United States Department of State expressed their regrets.

Later that year, after Germany declared war on the United States, one of the sailors, Harold Sturtevant, who had been dismissed because of the incident, received a pardon and reenlisted in the Navy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

There's a lot of flag burners that have got too much freedom

No, you didn't.

It represents a number of nations in a union. You might want to look at wiki a bit before coming back with your next attempted justification of anti EU-hysterical nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

If you burn your rubbish outside you'll get arrested too, everyone agrees about that, no 1984 paranoia about that scenario, so probably the same for burning flegs.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

I'M ****ING OUTRAGED!!!!! I READ SOMETHING IN THE DAILY EXPRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Hmm, an article about the EU in The Daily Express?
    Think I'll give it a miss...

Daily Express? lol

Burn The Daily Express.

You can bet your bottom hole the owners of that $hitrag would love bring out a law that would jail anyone who would rightly incinerate that $hitrag.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JuanBerrosa

Wow, so now critisizing Islam or burning the EU flag can land you in jail in Germany!!

The SS are back!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's not really anything new and laws against desecration of flags have been around in many countries for many years.
    A few random ones.
    In Italy, desecration of any Italian or foreign nation's national flag is prohibited by law (Article 292 of the Italian Penal Code) and punished with fines (between 1,000 and 10,000 euros) for verbal desecration and with reclusion (up to two years) for physical damage or destruction.

In 2016, Israel passed a law where those convicted of burning an Israeli flag, or the flag of allied countries, face up to three years in prison.

A July 2010 law makes it a crime to desecrate the French national flag in a public place, but also to distribute images of a flag desecration, even when done in a private setting.

The Portuguese Penal Code (article 323) also forbids the desecration of foreign symbols: "Who publicly, by means of words, gestures or print publication, or by other means of public communication, insults the official flag or other symbol of sovereignty of a foreign State or of an international organization of which Portugal is a member shall be punished with up to one year imprisonment or a fine of up to 120 days."

Destruction, removal, or desecration of national emblems installed by a public authority (i.e., the Swiss flag, the Swiss coat of arms, the cantonal or municipal flags and coats of arms) is punishable by a monetary penalty or imprisonment of up to three years according to the Swiss federal penal code.

Some countries have no laws about desecrating their own national flag but fine or jail for desecration of flags of any other state.

Whats the Daily Express flag?

F**kin white christian jesus from Egypt wearing a red cross drinking Carlsberg killing brown lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

It's German law in Germany. There's no EU law about this nor is their any scope for one as it's beyond the EU's legal competencies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

At least be honest here. You went full on with the 1984 stuff in the hope no one would check the detail and would all jump aboard HMS outrage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,133 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Conform or **** off, the new progressive and liberal political mantra.

• Advertisement

buried wrote: »
    Daily Express? lol

Burn The Daily Express.

You can bet your bottom hole the owners of that $hitrag would love bring out a law that would jail anyone who would rightly incinerate that $hitrag.

The thing about burning the express as opposed to wiping your arse with it is theres no risk of contamination. Who knows what that vile print might do should it accidentally enter the bloodstream via the rear end?

The thing about burning the express as opposed to wiping your arse with it is theres no risk of contamination. Who knows what that vile print might do should it accidentally enter the bloodstream via the rear end?

Exactly. But if you did burn the yoke you may inhale the carcinogenic ink print from the forests of noble Sherwood, which could result in total wallopedness!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Thank you. Case closed. OP-try harder. And the Daily Express :pac: 4/10

buried wrote: »
    Exactly. But if you did burn the yoke you may inhale the carcinogenic ink print from the forests of noble Sherwood, which could result in total wallopedness!

....I'll think my name is Major White-Winterbottom and have a particular detestation for the French and the wogs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭granturismo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I’d like to see this flag legislation introduced into the U.K. - liven up the parade season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

Greentopia wrote: »
    Thank you. Case closed. OP-try harder. And the Daily Express :pac: 4/10

The EU flag is in a par with the UN or red cross. It has NO basis in nationhood. This law is being I introduced as part of the control structure of the EU and the myth of EU citizenship, that we by law are forced to accept. I'd imagine all the pro EU morons will be supporting the EU army we were told would never happen too?

The EU flag is in a par with the UN or red cross. It has NO basis in nationhood. This law is being I introduced as part of the control structure of the EU and the myth of EU citizenship, that we by law are forced to accept. I'd imagine all the pro EU morons will be supporting the EU army we were told would never happen too?

Looney tunes nonsense that says more about you than anything else.

The EU flag is in a par with the UN or red cross. It has NO basis in nationhood.

Hold on 2 seconds Highwayman, this story your getting so worked up about is from a total rag thats on par with the lowest filth crawling around the bottom of your lawn what eats each other.
    You want to complain about 'control structure'? lol Your whole insular "nation" fanboi'ism comes from a middle eastern Abrahamic Biblical sand control structure cult what came from the middle east and infested what was a pagan Europe, a pagan Europe with its own inherent religion and ways, But along comes this EGYPTIAN biblical sand warmongering devisive Bull$hit. 1984 happened already man, it happened here around 400 AD, so go complain about that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

What's with the constant divisive,almost trolling type threads in boards? I've notice it get progressively worse the last few months.this last month It's be very blatant.It's a shell of itself at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I don't give a shite about a piece of material. If you want to burn a flag you've bought with your own money in your back garden knock yourself out. Burning flags in a public place to cause intimidation to others should be prosecuted though. I'd love to see some of those fuckers in the North hauled off to jail.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/827656/EU-flag-up-in-flames-Eleventh-Night-bonfires-Northern-Ireland-brexit-theresa-may-dup

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hang on, something about this story doesn't smell right ...

A man protesting against the EU was filmed trying and failing to set an EU flag on fire because of EU rules on flammable material.

So it's a false flag operation because genuine flags don't burn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Wow, so now critisizing Islam or burning the EU flag can land you in jail in Germany!!

The SS are back!!!

Also denying the Holocaust and flying the Swastika. The SS are definitely back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Danzy wrote: »
    Conform or **** off, the new progressive and liberal political mantra.
    This is hardly a great example of that though. Try burning a US flag in the States.

I also wish people would stop using two of the greatest novels of all time - Nineteen Eighty Four and The Handmaid's Tale - to compare to things that aren't actually like these visions of insane tyranny at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

smurgen wrote: »
    What's with the constant divisive,almost trolling type threads in boards? I've notice it get progressively worse the last few months.this last month It's be very blatant.It's a shell of itself at this stage.

It's pretty bad, a lot of re-reg posters constantly trying to ruin things. I'm not sure how it compares to other sites.
    I also wish people would stop using two of the greatest novels of all time - Nineteen Eighty Four and The Handmaid's Tale - to compare to things that aren't actually like these visions of insane tyranny at all.

Orwell has been a trope common in the press since it was new. Handmaid's tale is a TV series now, so that probably explains why that's so prevalent.

• Advertisement

This just proves all the Germans are Nazis and that Brexit is right. It's great that such stalwart defenders of democracy like the Daily Express, Daily Mail and all the rest are here once again, just as they were in the 1930s, to warn everybody of the dangers of rising extremism on foreign shores. This is proof that Britain is really the only sane place left in Europe.

main-qimg-e72e04e9483fbd21994a2cf45cc6dcea-c

Rothermere_-_Hurrah_for_the_Blackshirts.jpg

nigel_poster_mole.jpg?itok=5vUc12ks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This is hardly a great example of that though. Try burning a US flag in the States.

Actually you're supposed to burn a US flag. The United States Flag Code states:

“The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.”

The Patron wrote: »
    I'd happily piss on that ugly flag.

Welcome to Boards. That's a very thought-provoking first post. Why, pray tell, do you feel like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

kowloon wrote: »
    Handmaid's tale is a TV series now, so that probably explains why that's so prevalent.
    Guarantee so many of the idiots who say life is like it for women now (yes it is - in Pakistan - but that's not where they mean) never heard of it before the tv show and still haven't read it.

What specifically, though?

We can probably take a stab at it ourselves. The usual stuff will be rolled out . "unelected bureaucrats" , like those one we had elections for......eh.

"uncontrolled immigration" - you know, like the way anyone from outside the eu can just decide to come here and stay...........

etc

• Advertisement

The Patron wrote: »
    I am not particularly happy with how the EU is run.
    So how did you vote in the recent elections ?
    and how have you engaged with your MEP ?

smurgen wrote: »

It would take a lot of analysis to find out if this is correct. In general I go with the idea that things have always been much the same, and thinking that the past was better is just mistaken. But I am in agreement with your sentiment about threads like this.

What's your alternative?

Non elitist average joe non career politicians like Nigel Farage..........

Guarantee so many of the idiots who say life is like it for women now (yes it is - in Pakistan - but that's not where they mean) never heard of it before the tv show and still haven't read it.

Was also a movie, around what 30 years ago. People didn't realise it was based on a novel then either.

Things have improved here in that time in a lot of ways due to membership of the E.U. what's gotten worse is the cranks, back then the only person I knew who was against the E.U. was a self proclaimed unionist, who working and living in Dublin because he had a job with an American multinational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The Express and English tabloids are great at spinning nothing stories into anti-EU headlines. No wonder brexit happened when people read bullshít headlines like in the op. Here's a few more fed to the British public over the years:

20 Years Of Fake News About The European Union

EC regulations to ban playgrounds – Daily Express

Rolling acres outlawed by Brussels – The Telegraph

EU to scrap British exams – Sunday Express

Obscure EU law halting the sale of English oak seeds – Mail on Sunday

EU may try to ban sweet and toy ads – The Times

EU to tell British farmers what they can grow – Daily Mail

EU ‘Bans Boozing’ – Daily Star

Light ale to be forced to change its name by Eurocrats – Daily Mail

EU fanatics to be forced to sing dire anthem about EU ‘Motherland’ – The Sun

British apple trees facing chop by EU – The Times

EC plan to ban noisy toys – Sunday People

EU to ban bagpipes and trapeze artists – The Sun

Children to be banned from blowing up balloons, under EU safety rules – Daily Telegraph

Straight cucumbers – The Sun

Curved bananas banned by Brussels bureaucrats – The Sun, Daily Mail, Daily Express

Brussels bans barmaids from showing cleavage – The Sun, Daily Telegraph

Rumpole’s wig to scrapped by EU – Mail on Sunday

Church bells silenced by fear of EU law – Daily Telegraph

Motorists to be charged to drive in city centres under EU plans – Daily Telegraph

EU to stop binge drinking by slapping extra tax on our booze – The Sun

Brandy butter to be renamed ‘brandy spreadable fat’ – The European

British loaf of bread under threat from EU – Daily Mail

Truckers face EU ban on fry-ups – The Sun

EU to ban Union Flag from British meat packs – Daily Express

EU seeks to outlaw 60 dog breeds – Europa News Agency

Double-decker buses to be banned – Daily Telegraph

EU bans eating competition cakes – Timesonline

Now EU officials want control of your CANDLES – Daily Express

21-gun salutes are just too loud, Brussels tells the Royal Artillery – Mail on Sunday

Brussels threatens charity shops and car boot sales – Daily Mail

Plot to axe British number plates for standardised EU design – Daily Express

Women to be asked intimate details about sex lives in planned EU census – Daily Express

British cheese faces extinction under EU rules – PA News

EU meddlers ban kids on milk rounds – The Sun, The Telegraph

British chocolate to be renamed ‘vegelate’ under EU rules – Daily Mail

EU to ban church bells – Daily Telegraph

British film producers warn of new EU threat to industry – The Independent

Kilts to be branded womenswear by EU – Daily Record EU to ban double decker buses – Daily Mail

Cod to be renamed ‘Gadus’ thanks to EU – Daily Mail

Brussels to restrict drinking habits of Britain’s coffee lovers – Daily Express

EU responsible for your hay fever – Daily Mail, The Times

Condom dimensions to be harmonised – Independent on Sunday

EU wants to BAN your photos of the London Eye – Daily Express

Corgis to be banned by EU – Daily Mail

EU forcing cows to wear nappies – Daily Mail

Eurocrats to ban crayons and colouring pencils – The Sun

Smoky bacon crisps face EU ban – Sunday Times

EU outlaws teeth whitening products – Daily Mail

Domain names – ‘.uk’ to be replaced by ‘.eu’ – Daily Mail

Brussels to ban HGV drivers from wearing glasses – The Times

New eggs cannot be called eggs – Daily Mail

EU to ban selling eggs by the dozen – Daily Mail UK to be forced to adopt continental two pin plug – Daily Star, Daily Mail

EU targets traditional Sunday roast – Sun on Sunday

English Channel to be re-named ‘Anglo-French Pond’ – Daily Mail

Brussels to force EU flag on England shirts – Daily Mail

EU orders farmers to give toys to pigs – The Times

Firemen’s poles outlawed by EU – Daily Mail

Euro ban on food waste means swans cannot be fed – The Observer

Noise regulations to force football goers to wear earplugs – The Sun

Traditional Irish funeral under threat from EU – Daily Telegraph, The Times

EU to ban high-heel shoes for hairdressers – Daily Express

Commission to force fishermen to wear hairnets – Daily Telegraph

Brussels to ban herbal cures – Daily Express

Bureaucrats declare Britain is “not an island”– the Guardian

EU bid to ban life sentences for murderers – Daily Express

New EU map makes Kent part of France – Sunday Telegraph

EU tells Welsh how to grow their leeks – The Times

EU to ban lollipop ladies’ sticks – News of the World

EU plot to rename Trafalgar Square & Waterloo station – Daily Express

UK milk ‘pinta’ threatened by Brussels – The Sun

EU bans ‘mince’ pies – Daily Mail

Eurocrats say Santa must be a woman – The Sun

Now EU crackpots demand gypsy MPs – Daily Express

Brussels to outlaw mushy peas – The Sun, Daily Mail, Telegraph, Times

Brussels says shellfish must be given rest breaks on journeys – The Times

Pets must be pressure cooked after death – Sunday Telegraph

EU puts speed limit on children’s roundabouts – Daily Express

2-for-1 bargains to be scrapped by EU – Daily Mirror

EU madness: chat up bar girl and pub will be fined – Daily Star

Queen to be forced to get her own tea by EU – The Sun

EU tells women to hand in worn-out sex toys – The Sun

British rhubarb to be straight – The Sun

EU to ban rocking horses – The Sun

Scotch whisky rebranded a dangerous chemical by EU – Daily Telegraph

Brussels ban on pints of shandy – The Times

“High up” signs to be put on mountains – BBC

Euronotes cause impotence – Daily Mail

EU to ban under 16-year-olds from using Facebook – Daily Mail

Strawberries must be oval – The Sun

EU orders swings to be pulled down – Daily Express

Tea bags banned from being recycled – BBC

British lav to be replaced with Euro-loo – The Sun

Unwanted Valentine’s cards to be defined as sexual harrasment – Daily Telegraph

Bosses to be told what colour carpets to buy by EU – Daily Star

EU says British yoghurt to be renamed ‘Fermented Milk Pudding’ – Sunday Mirror

EU to ban zipper trousers – The Sun

EU loophole could see 77 MILLION Turks head to Britain, warn Farage and Johnson

Full list from Tom Pride

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I can't really complain, haven't read it or watched the TV show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Hmmm if Germany is going to make it an offence to disrespect flags - then it better start with Angela Merkel ...

Advertisement