Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Explain the dislike towards Ryanair?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i'll generally fly a aerlingus unless ryanair is literally half the price or less then i cant justify it. to london i'll take cityjet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

7 different sets of announcements on a 45 minute flight at 6.30am... hot food, snack cart, scratch cards, duty free... let me ****ing sleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

I thought they had a quiet zone where there would be minimal safety announcements only?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I thought they had a quiet zone where there would be minimal safety announcements only?

They do. It's called Aer Lingus :)

As to the poster saying "I pay priority to get my carry-on on board" - see, that right there is one of the reasons they're disliked. Everyone pays for priority now, and half of them still don't get their carry-on on board and have to check it. Do they get a refund? No. They get to pay more money to have been able to stand up and queue slightly earlier than those who didn't pay more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

They do. It's called Aer Lingus :)

As to the poster saying "I pay priority to get my carry-on on board" - see, that right there is one of the reasons they're disliked. Everyone pays for priority now, and half of them still don't get their carry-on on board and have to check it. Do they get a refund? No. They get to pay more money to have been able to stand up and queue slightly earlier than those who didn't pay more...

I went to Wroclaw and back 2 weekends ago with Ryanair. There were zero issues boarding in Dublin, no issues boarding in Poland. Flight just over 2 hours. No issues on board. Very pleasant flights. Had booked the emergency exits for the legroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭pgj2015

BrianJD wrote: »
    For a skinflint, he gives very cheap flights.

n

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

For people like me, who don't care where they sit. don't want priority boarding and generally bring a small backpack on most of my flights, they're ideal.

It's the people who are buying all the extras that are effectively subsidising my cheap flight.

I flew to London last month for less than €35 return which is phenomenal value. I am old enough to remember spending close to £200 for a return flight in the late-90's, when our so called 'national airline' was more concerned with keeping their own pay and pensions topped up than providing any kind of value to Irish citizens.

Ryanair have been a godsend and I'd imagine most of those who complain about them are too young to remember the time before they existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

i'll generally fly a aerlingus unless ryanair is literally half the price or less then i cant justify it. to london i'll take cityjet.
    Are city jet still operating. Best airline ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Are city jet still operating. Best airline ever.

Yes and no. The Dublin to London City Airport flights still run but are with Aer Lingus but operated by Cityjet through a wet lease. They were fairly tiny in comparison in comparison to Ryanair or even Aer Lingus and only served a niche so fairly useless to the majority of air passengers.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/aer-lingus-to-take-over-cityjet-s-route-to-london-city-airport-1.3610225

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Yes and no. The Dublin to London City Airport flights still run but are with Aer Lingus but operated by Cityjet through a wet lease. They were fairly tiny in comparison in comparison to Ryanair or even Aer Lingus and only served a niche so fairly useless to the majority of air passengers.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/aer-lingus-to-take-over-cityjet-s-route-to-london-city-airport-1.3610225

What niche?
    Buy the bloody ticket and get on the plane. Two minutes after getting off the plane you are on the DLR to the city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Edgware wrote: »
    Stephen15 wrote: »

What niche?
    Buy the bloody ticket and get on the plane. Two minutes after getting off the plane you are on the DLR to the city
    Best air travel I ever experienced. From staff at check in in Dublin. Then complimentary wine and crisps from friendly staff on plane. Cruising near enough to the shard before landing in London with exactly a 2min walk to the tube. Best flights ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

It's like buying a cheap steak in Aldi and then complaining that it's not as good as the 30 quid steak you got in the high class restaurant before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Their 'charismatic' leader being a skinflint. He'd charge for the jacks if he got away with it.

Imagine that, a business trying to make as much profit as possible, well I never.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

I love people who complain about the price of the add-ons, the same people would complain if the base cost was x and included all these things, "sure I don't need these things at all".....

Can't win can they.

Only issue I have is with their Customer Service. They are just so unhelpful and don't seem to care or have any consideration for the end customer.

So what I'm saying, they are grand until something goes wrong.

That’s just par for the course in this day age, minority of businesses have good customer service when things go wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Some (not all) of the seats are very uncomfortable. In one of my last flights with them it felt like thin fabric stretched over a metal frame.

Less leg room, enough to notice compared to say Aer Lingus.

Gratuitous added costs, understandable but I can see why it would leave a bad taste for some. Random assignment doesn't bother me at all but I did find it funny to see them present sitting beside your family as an added cost, when it costs them nothing to provide.

Crap airports miles out. This one is very location specific and requires some research or experience to avoid.

Nasty spaces in Airports. In Schonfeld Berlin in a very hot summer we were directed past acres of spacious air conditioned waiting areas to a small, hot, stuffy room with its own security control so you couldn't leave that we then had to wait in for an hour. I imagined the negotiations with the airport for the use of that space : "Aber Herr O'Leary it is not fit for humans. It was intended as a stasi detention block to break political prisoners when the GDR built the Airport. Wouldn't you prefer one of our many proper spaces available for only a little more money?" "Don't worry boys, my passengers will take what they're given".

I don't moan about Ryanair and I respect what they've done for air travel and how they've built an Irish champion in the industry. I fly with them a lot and usually find it worthwhile but I avoid them for some routes and I can see why people might have issues with them. If someone says they can't understand why people complain about them then I don't believe them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

jetsonx wrote: »
    Why does a Ryanair get such a hard time?

I've flown with them at least a hundred times. Nearly everyone of these flights was on time and trouble-free. Lost luggage only once which was duly put onboard the next flight. Planes were reasonably clean. Most takeoffs and landings were textbook. And each time their staff were unfailingly courteous.

Yet, as a consumer, I can't understand all this animosity towards Ryanair?

I dont get it either, although their new baggage policy is annoying, especially when trying to book flights close to a date. That said, I'd pick them everytime over perma late Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

bear1 wrote: »
    No I'm forced into paying it.
    If I'm on a 5 hour flight and it's a holiday with my partner why would I want to start it by being seperate?
    They create a situation where you need to pay for the want to be next to someone you're flying with.
    I remember very well how much it cost to fly 20 years ago but it still doesn't mean that cause it costs x euro to go somewhere that I should need to pay more x euro cause its still x amount less than 2 decades ago.

Ryanair aren't the only ones who charge for a seat, you have to pay extra to book a seat with Aer Lingus too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,832 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

have to say, things are a LOT different now than even a few years ago?

Complaint: airports miles away from the real city.
    Reality: since a few years back, they now fly to hubs like Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Munich (which is partially owned by anti-Ryanair propaganda merchants Lufthansa), Madrid and the proper airport in Barcelona and Luxembourg. Even the airport in Berlin is not an random far away airport, its a crap former commie east block airport still in use because the 5 or 6 billion euro Berlin airport STILL isnt open and Schonefeld(on the same site) will be shut the minute it does.

Complaint: I have to pay for seats
    Reality: No you dont (*except if youve kids, but even then they are free and just the adults pay a few euro so it doesnt cost massive cash and signifcantly cheaper than when they only offered expensive priority boarding as a way to get to sit with your kids)

Complaint: I have to stand in a queue for ages
    Reality: no you dont. You have pre-allocated seats so theres no reason for you to stand in a queue and get all humpy about doing so.

Complaint: theyve heaps of hidden fees
    Reality: unlike in the good old days when taxes and card fees etc were added on, you can travel with a middling size rucksack taking a random seat and you pay exactly what the price is in the search, zero add ons.

Complaint: they bus you to all over the airport taking ages unlike other airlines.
    Reality: other airlines also bus you about the place especially if you are travelling on a smaller regional jet. Sure I was over in Poland a couple of weeks back with Lufthansa and back on LOT and including the connection on the way back I was on 6 busses to and from terminals just on one return journey, that was NOT Ryanair.

Complaint: the prices are no better than other airlines when you add the extras
    Reality: Ryanair do tend to FAR more agressively discount. I've flown Munich-Dublin for as little as €50 return which is less than Aer Lingus or Lufthansa charge in taxes/ fees/ made-up-excuses alone. BTW- Aer lingus charge you a hidden admin charge of €8 per person (incl kids) per leg which is multiples of what booking a seat in a family booking costs with Ryanair.

Complaint: they have crap customer service
    Reality: use the online chat and you'll get answers in no time.

Complaint: they have an annoying jingle when they land on time and that after them selling all sorts of stuff during the flight
    Reality: what jingle, what lotto tickets? I cant hear a thing with my noise cancelling headphones !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

Last March I got return flights from Dublin to Frankfurt (not Hahn) including priority boarding and selected seat for...

€28 :eek: €14 each way! The train from Galway cost me more :rolleyes:

I've already booked my Hotel for next March in Germany safe in the knowledge that I'll bag a decent deal from Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Yep, they led the low-cost flight revolution and they're great to get quickly from A to B if you know the deal, the destination airport is actually reasonably close to where you need to go, it's not an important trip, and you've timed it so there won't be stags/hens on board too. I don't think anyone actually disputes most of that.

On the other hand, if *anything* out of the ordinary happens, forget it... like, e.g., looking to use the wheelchair they claim they have available on every flight: Passenger ends up with a broken arm as a result of them not being bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Skyknight

Yep, they led the low-cost flight revolution and they're great to get quickly from A to B if you know the deal, the destination airport is actually reasonably close to where you need to go, it's not an important trip, and you've timed it so there won't be stags/hens on board too. I don't think anyone actually disputes most of that.

On the other hand, if *anything* out of the ordinary happens, forget it... like, e.g., looking to use the wheelchair they claim they have available on every flight: Passenger ends up with a broken arm as a result of them not being bothered.

Not quite true....That honor Freddy Laker, and Herb Kelleher, both of whom at least treated their employees with some respect and decency. From what I have heard Southwest try to distance themselves from the 'Tacky' FR model.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

have to say, things are a LOT different now than even a few years ago?

Complaint: airports miles away from the real city.
    Reality: since a few years back, they now fly to hubs like Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Munich (which is partially owned by anti-Ryanair propaganda merchants Lufthansa), Madrid and the proper airport in Barcelona and Luxembourg. Even the airport in Berlin is not an random far away airport, its a crap former commie east block airport still in use because the 5 or 6 billion euro Berlin airport STILL isnt open and Schonefeld(on the same site) will be shut the minute it does.

Complaint: I have to pay for seats
    Reality: No you dont (*except if youve kids, but even then they are free and just the adults pay a few euro so it doesnt cost massive cash and signifcantly cheaper than when they only offered expensive priority boarding as a way to get to sit with your kids)

Complaint: I have to stand in a queue for ages
    Reality: no you dont. You have pre-allocated seats so theres no reason for you to stand in a queue and get all humpy about doing so.

Complaint: theyve heaps of hidden fees
    Reality: unlike in the good old days when taxes and card fees etc were added on, you can travel with a middling size rucksack taking a random seat and you pay exactly what the price is in the search, zero add ons.

Complaint: they bus you to all over the airport taking ages unlike other airlines.
    Reality: other airlines also bus you about the place especially if you are travelling on a smaller regional jet. Sure I was over in Poland a couple of weeks back with Lufthansa and back on LOT and including the connection on the way back I was on 6 busses to and from terminals just on one return journey, that was NOT Ryanair.

Complaint: the prices are no better than other airlines when you add the extras
    Reality: Ryanair do tend to FAR more agressively discount. I've flown Munich-Dublin for as little as €50 return which is less than Aer Lingus or Lufthansa charge in taxes/ fees/ made-up-excuses alone. BTW- Aer lingus charge you a hidden admin charge of €8 per person (incl kids) per leg which is multiples of what booking a seat in a family booking costs with Ryanair.

Complaint: they have crap customer service
    Reality: use the online chat and you'll get answers in no time.

Complaint: they have an annoying jingle when they land on time and that after them selling all sorts of stuff during the flight
    Reality: what jingle, what lotto tickets? I cant hear a thing with my noise cancelling headphones !!!!
    Have to agree with all of this apart from the queing. Sometimes they'll board and leave you standing waiting for the plane with the doors locked so you've no option but to que. The last time I flew with them I had to stand and que as there was only a handful of seats which were taken. Grand if you've no issue with standing but if you have I'd be weary of flying with them.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Have to agree with all of this apart from the queing. Sometimes they'll board and leave you standing waiting for the plane with the doors locked so you've no option but to que. The last time I flew with them I had to stand and que as there was only a handful of seats which were taken. Grand if you've no issue with standing but if you have I'd be weary of flying with them.

The secret is to not queue up until you see the plane has actually landed and is disembarking.

Advertisement