Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Yoga

Options
  • 16-09-2010 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭

When I lived in Galway I often meant to take up at at least try one class in hot yoga I never did get around to it though!

However since I now live in Dublin I was wondering was there any like it up here? Google search doesnt really throw up much info and id also like to hear how people compared it to regular yoga? Do you feel like you can get deeper into the poses? etc?

If its more expensive (as I imagine it is) is it worth the extra money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I know of a couple of places that do it. It's not more expensive, afaik.

There's the Bikram Yoga place in Harold's Cross. Bikram seems to be something you love or hate, from what I've heard. I've been meaning to try this place in Monkstown http://www.myyogabodyspa.ie/. I've heard really good reports of it, and there was a write-up on it in last week's Business Post. Bikram is done at a higher heat than hot yoga, so I think hot yoga is possibly easier to try.

The elbow room in Smithfield also does hot yoga but I haven't heard what that's like. Hot Yoga seems to be the new trend in bending!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 martin699

When I lived in Galway I often meant to take up at at least try one class in hot yoga I never did get around to it though!

I have tried that hot yoga class in galway a few times and I have to say its not only good for flexibility but its also a serious work out... I would have considered myself reasonably fit when I went into this class for the first time and I got a rude awakening when I was in it when there were tiny women able to stand on one leg for what seemed like an age and me falling all over the place like an eejit...

I would definitely recommend trying a class if you can find one in Dublin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭ivy tilsley

I've only ever taken one hot yoga class, and that was a drop-in at the Elbow Room for the thursday evening class. I thought it was great, the instructor had a really nice style and I got a lot from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

There are two new studios open in Sandyford Industrial Estate. They are both running an offer of €49 for 30 consecutive days.

I did a trial at http://hotyogasandyford.ie/ and thought it was great. It was my first time doing hot yoga and loved it. They taught mainly Vinyasa (I think) though there was one instructor who dabbled in Bikram.

Going to try out http://yogabikram.ie/index.html this month.

I hadn't heard of the place in Monkstown. That'll be next on the list ;)

Yoga Rooms in Ballsbridge have also started doing hot yoga classes. It really is the new bending trend!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 karorynka

Hi! did you try Bikram as well? any thoughts? I am thinking of giving them a try but I am not sure which one to choose.
    If anyone tried both Bikram Yoga in Sandyford and Hot Yoga in Sandyford your opinions would be soooo helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

I did the hot yoga in Sandyford for a month. Thought it was challenging enough and then did a month in the Bikram yoga place in Harolds Cross and OMG it was a totally different experience. So much tougher. Really difficult for the first few sessions and you never really get used to the heat but it's a great buzz when you find yourself improving.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I tried hot yoga for the first time last weekend and I didn't like it at all. I've been practising power/vinyasa for 5 years. There was nothing new yoga-wise in the class for me but I felt the teacher needed to show people beginner poses. I know when to come out of a pose if it's too much but the style of this class was a bit too drill instructor and a newer/beginner might push themselves too far. I may not have had enough water beforehand but I wouldn't be keen to repeat the experience.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I've been doing Hot Yoga/Bikram on and off since 2004 in galway, athlone, roscommon, cardiff and now Dublin.
    I find it really good. I have found Im much better at it now a few years on after doing a good bit of strength training. I had pretty good flexibility from years of TKD and there;s only one posture Im having trouble with/dont think Ill ever be able to do.

69 a month for unlimted classes is pretty good pricewise too if you go at least twice a week.

I way prefer Hot Yoga Sandyford to the place in Harold's Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

I've started hot yoga, my first class was today acually. I started here www.hotyogadublin.com on the malahide road.
    I've done a few yoga classes before in college, but this was more intense what with the hot room and everything-plus the teacher motivates you pretty well. They do a beginners month for €50 unlimited so Im hoping to go about 3 times a week until thats finished.

Does anyone here know what results I could expect doing hot yoga for a month this often (70 minute classes). I want to tone up and get fitter generally, aswell as possibly lose a lil bit of weight. Im not hoping for miracles, but Im not sure what to expect from it..
    I found it fairly tough going and got a bit dizzy in parts-Ill definately drink even more water next time-but its enjoyable all the same and I felt great afterwards. Definately reccomend it over a normal yoga class anyways, I always preferred Pilates but Ill definately stick with this for awhile :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

There's also a great new bikram studio in coolmine in D15.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ThisIsDan

HI guys,

So with Hot Yoga in sandyford...it's not just unlicensed Bikram Yoga? Do they use different postures and temperature etc?

cheers,
    Dan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I did my second hot yoga class this morning and I can safely say I'm hooked :D

I'd never done yoga of any kind before so I've nothing to compare it to but I'm really, really enjoying these classes - the sense of calm and well-being I get from it is fantastic, and it's a great alternative workout. I'm lucky as I'm quite flexible anyway but you get very supple very fast in the heat and I'm managing some of the more advanced poses already.

Oh am any doubt I had as to just how much of a real workout it would be were quickly put to rest with the aching muscles I've had for the last few days :p

I've done two classes now. I found my first class really, really tough but I am one of those wussy, palefaced people who do not last well in the heat anyways. I had also heard from friends that many found the first class nearly a write-off in terms of doing actual yoga :pac:

This morning's class was SO much better. The heat really adds something to the class, and I think it made a huge difference that I went early in the morning, rather than at the end of a long day. It's a lovely change from my usual practice! Looking forward to my next class already :D

Advertisement