Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabot financial & CCR

Options
  • 21-10-2020 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Hi, I had a Loan dating back to 2008 with Ulster bank when I had just turned 20. The recession was just starting to bite. I was young & foolish, not caring or thinking of the future consequences. Thank god I'm happy now and am employed in the public sector.

I've had letters from Cabot through the years, very sporadically. There might even be a 2 year gap between letters. They were very difficult & rude to deal with.

So 12 years later I checked my icb report & it came back clean. I applied for a 3,000 loan with PTSB and was approved no problem. I applied for a overdraft yesterday on my account as I'd read reports about the CCR and I was refused as the loan showed up on my report!

I was shocked. I was hoping for a mortgage with my partner in the next few years but now that's completely destroyed, I cant even get a new car. I'm strongly thinking about telling her to just go and meet someone new & dont let me hold her back with life.

I'm so annoyed & upset over it! Yes it's my own fault & I was foolish but after 12 years I thought ok just start fresh with a good outlook & mindset. Has anybody any experience? PTSB said Cabot registered the loan with the CCR in 2018! 10 years later

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

risteard7 wrote: »
    Hi, I had a Loan dating back to 2008 with Ulster bank when I had just turned 20. The recession was just starting to bite. I was young & foolish, not caring or thinking of the future consequences. Thank god I'm happy now and am employed in the public sector.

I've had letters from Cabot through the years, very sporadically. There might even be a 2 year gap between letters. They were very difficult & rude to deal with.

So 12 years later I checked my icb report & it came back clean. I applied for a 3,000 loan with PTSB and was approved no problem. I applied for a overdraft yesterday on my account as I'd read reports about the CCR and I was refused as the loan showed up on my report!

I was shocked. I was hoping for a mortgage with my partner in the next few years but now that's completely destroyed, I cant even get a new car. I'm strongly thinking about telling her to just go and meet someone new & dont let me hold her back with life.

I'm so annoyed & upset over it! Yes it's my own fault & I was foolish but after 12 years I thought ok just start fresh with a good outlook & mindset. Has anybody any experience? PTSB said Cabot registered the loan with the CCR in 2018! 10 years later

Pay it off and in 5 years you'll have a clean profile. Looks like they never wrote off the loan and will remain active until you clear it. Only registered in 2018 when cabot started reporting to the CCR.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Pay it off and in 5 years you'll have a clean profile. Looks like they never wrote off the loan and will remain active until you clear it. Only registered in 2018 when cabot started reporting to the CCR.

I'll be to old for a mortgage then. It's really life just turned upside down. It's just devastating having to explain this to my partner but I've nobody to blame but myself

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

They were very difficult & rude to deal with.

You have their money and they are trying to get it back.... what do expect?
    I'm strongly thinking about telling her to just go and meet someone new & dont let me hold her back with life.

Well if you’d prefer to do that rather than sort out your financial affairs, perhaps it’s for the best...
    PTSB said Cabot registered the loan with the CCR in 2018! 10 years later

I can’t find the reference right not but I seem to recall that institutions are now required to report all unsettled debt.

You need to sort this out or as you have discovered it will hold you back. Could you offer them an acceptable one off payment to settle the debt? Or a payment plan?

I'll be to old for a mortgage then. It's really life just turned upside down. It's just devastating having to explain this to my partner but I've nobody to blame but myself

You’re in your early thirties with very solid employment, I find it very hard to believe you cannot get a handle on this if you are determined to do it.

There will be embarrassment and pain but surely your partner and relationship must be worth fighting for...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,674 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's better that your partner finds out about your attitude to financial problems (close your eyes and hope for magic) sooner rather than later.

Contact Cabot and arrange to settle the debt.

• Advertisement

Jim2007 wrote: »
    You’re in your early thirties with very solid employment, I find it very hard to believe you cannot get a handle on this if you are determined to do it.

There will be embarrassment and pain but surely your partner and relationship must be worth fighting for...

Thank you for the positive reply,

It's better that your partner finds out about your attitude to financial problems (close your eyes and hope for magic) sooner rather than later.

Contact Cabot and arrange to settle the debt.

I have a really good attitude to financial problems now but at 19 years of age, unfortunately I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

You’re 31. I know plenty of 35 year olds going for their first mortgage as they spent their 20’s travelling or abroad.

You’ll have 5 years to save a bigger deposit. You can use that to get a shorter term mortgage.

Pay what you owe, focus on saving your deposit and apply for a mortgage in 5 years time when your record it clear.

Batgurl wrote: »
    You’re 31. I know plenty of 35 year olds going for their first mortgage as they spent their 20’s travelling or abroad.

You’ll have 5 years to save a bigger deposit. You can use that to get a shorter term mortgage.

Pay what you owe, focus on saving your deposit and apply for a mortgage in 5 years time when your record it clear.
    Thank you, I definitely will & hopefully things work out for me. I shouldn't have listened to people saying Cabot were only scaremongering and they bought the debt hoping to extract as much money as possible with no powers and the debt would be written off.

It's a lesson learned for sure. Do the 5 years only start from the moment it's paid off?

the debt would be written off.

This is about the most misunderstood term in fiance for the general public. Just because a bank or any other company for that matter write off a debt, it does not mean that it will not be enforced. It just means the company has decided to no longer keep it in their financial statements, that is all. Usually such debts are factored and if they get anything out of it, it will be written back into the accounts later.

Unless you are a discharged bankrupt or have written confirmation that a debt will not be enforced, you can not rely on it going away.

• Advertisement

Thank you for the reply Jim. Should I pay it through a solicitor as im told never to deal with Cabot directly?

Thank you for the reply Jim. Should I pay it through a solicitor as im told never to deal with Cabot directly?

I would suggest you start by clearing your mind of all you have heard about Cabot and every other agency for that matter - an awful lot of it is just nonsense and indeed some of it very bad advice.

To start with, you need to be clear about the situation you are dealing with, is it a simple case of you having taken out a loan and somewhere along the way you stopped paying or were their other issues and legal actions involved?

Next is do you have a clear indication of how much is outstanding at this stage? A recent statement perhaps?

And the other thing to determine is how you plan to pay it off. Can you make a single payment or will you need to agree a payment plan with them?

Once you have a plan in mind, you can decide if you need a solicitor or not. If it is a simple case of just paying off the debt then you probably don't need a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

As other have said you still have still have plenty of time for a mortgage. While its not within your current plan and may seem it has turned your life upside down it important to keep some perspective. You are obviousy in employment, in a good relationship and have no major health concerns that you have mentioned, all the rest can be worked out. Easier said than done but its always worth checking yourself and knowing that there are loads of people that would love to be in your position. I'd hazard a guess that your partner would be pretty upset to hear you talking of ending a relationship,instead ye'll work it out together. First step is to talk to your partner and then engage Cabot re settlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭vandriver

If you don't pay it off,Cabot will religiously report it to the CCR every month for the rest of your life.
    It's about the only tactic they have on possibly statute barred debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭landofthetree

So they gave you a loan but refused an overdraft?
    :confused:

Cabot didn't report to the ICB,so there would have been a period after the debt was written off but before Cabot started reporting to the CCR when his ICB would have been clean.

As other have said you still have still have plenty of time for a mortgage. While its not within your current plan and may seem it has turned your life upside down it important to keep some perspective. You are obviousy in employment, in a good relationship and have no major health concerns that you have mentioned, all the rest can be worked out. Easier said than done but its always worth checking yourself and knowing that there are loads of people that would love to be in your position. I'd hazard a guess that your partner would be pretty upset to hear you talking of ending a relationship,instead ye'll work it out together. First step is to talk to your partner and then engage Cabot re settlement.
    Thank you very much, yes she is a Teacher & I'm employed with the HSE. I just dont want to hold her life back because of a reckless mistake I made. But absolutely I'll face up to it & contact Cabot.

So they gave you a loan but refused an overdraft?
    :confused:

Yes they gave me a 3000 loan back in 2017. I never missed a payment. My ICB record is fine but since the CCR was established it's showing on that.

Sorry folks just one last question, if I clear it in full can Cabot request to have it removed from the CCR or is it there for 5 years regardless?

It's 5 years.
    But,if it's paid off and marked as settled,you can approach a broker in a couple of years for him to put your case to prospective lenders.

• Advertisement

vandriver wrote: »
    If you don't pay it off,Cabot will religiously report it to the CCR every month for the rest of your life.
    It's about the only tactic they have on possibly statute barred debt.

From my reading of the relevant legislation, as a regulated body they are obliged to report all unsettled debt, regardless of whether it is collectable or not.

From my reading of the relevant legislation, as a regulated body they are obliged to report all unsettled debt, regardless of whether it is collectable or not.
    Do Cabot ever write off anything I wonder?

It's 5 years.
    But,if it's paid off and marked as settled,you can approach a broker in a couple of years for him to put your case to prospective lenders.

I'm sure about that, this is not ICB report. Five days after the end of the month should be reported as settled by the lender.

And once a loan has been settled only two years of history should be shown.

Thanks for all the replies & help folks, it helps to put the mind at ease somewhat. I really appreciate it. I hope every works out now

I'm sure about that, this is not ICB report. Five days after the end of the month should be reported as settled by the lender.

And once a loan has been settled only two years of history should be shown.
    The Central Bank in their wisdom choose to penalise you for possibly an eighth of your productive years.

The Central Bank in their wisdom choose to penalise you for possibly an eighth of your productive years.

Rubbish, this is an EU directive applicable all over the EU.

Do Cabot ever write off anything I wonder?

Of course they do, all financial institutions do. But read my previous comments on this - it does not matter, they are still required to report the unsettled debt and will be required to do so until such time as it is settled. Which of course would be never if they write it off and the borrower can't or won't pay it off.

Rubbish, this is an EU directive applicable all over the EU.
    I'm not doubting you,but do you know which EU directive this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Water2626262

Stop panicking for one thing. It’s not the end of the world. Talk to Cabot and see what your options are. No harm asking will they amend your CCR if you pay the remaining balance off.

Keep your account clean and keep saving. As you say the banks provided you with loans previously, shows some good track record there. When you go for a mortgage just explain everything. Your both public sector workers which is less risk for the bank. You will have to get the debt sorted prior to applying for a mortgage though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Steady on and get it sorted. If your relationship falls apart over something like this then that may be a different matter. Everyone makes mistakes, in the scheme of things this should be well sortable.

Advertisement