Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What parables highlight the value of a neighbour?

Options
  • 30-09-2020 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭

What parables apart from the Good Samaritan highlight the love of the neighbour

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think one of the main points of the Good samaritan parable was not that they were neighbours but that they were strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,100 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

looksee wrote: »
    I think one of the main points of the Good samaritan parable was not that they were neighbours but that they were strangers.
    You're forgetting the catechism question-and-answer: Who is my neighbour? Everyone is my neighbour. And in fact the scriptural justification for this is none other than the parable of the Good Samaritan, whose setting is this:
    And now a lawyer stood up and, to test him, asked, 'Master, what must I do to inherit eternal life?'

[Jesus] said to him, 'What is written in the Law? What is your reading of it?'

He replied, 'You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind, and your neighbour as yourself.'

Jesus said to him, 'You have answered right, do this and life is yours.'

But the man was anxious to justify himself and said to Jesus, 'And who is my neighbour?'

[Jesus then tells the Parable of the Good Samaritan, finishing with . . .]

Which of these three, do you think, proved himself a neighbour to the man who fell into the bandits' hands?'

He replied, 'The one who showed pity towards him.' Jesus said to him, 'Go, and do the same yourself.'

To answer the OP, I can't think of other parables which have the love of neighbour their principal theme. Most of the parables are told to illustrate the nature of God, or of His relationship with His people, or to illustrate the nature of the Kingdom. The central importance of loving your neighbour wasn't a novel concept in Jesus's teaching, or a difficult one to grasp, so it didn't require parables to communicate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Not exactly a parable but how about John 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Peregrinus wrote: »
    You're forgetting the catechism question-and-answer: Who is my neighbour? Everyone is my neighbour. And in fact the scriptural justification for this is none other than the parable of the Good Samaritan, whose setting is this:

To answer the OP, I can't think of other parables which have the love of neighbour their principal theme. Most of the parables are told to illustrate the nature of God, or of His relationship with His people, or to illustrate the nature of the Kingdom. The central importance of loving your neighbour wasn't a novel concept in Jesus's teaching, or a difficult one to grasp, so it didn't require parables to communicate it.

Fair enough, I realise I am forgetting a lot of bible stuff :( Though I never had anything to do with catechisms so I have an excuse there!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,100 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

homer911 wrote: »
    Not exactly a parable but how about John 8?
    Also not a parable, but there's the well-known passage from Mt 25:
    "Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? When did we see you a stranger and make you welcome, lacking clothes and clothe you? When did we find you sick or in prison and go to see you?" And the King will answer, "In truth I tell you, in so far as you did this to one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did it to me."

• Advertisement
Advertisement