Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Initials and covert racism

Options
  • 23-10-2020 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,165 ✭✭✭✭

On the Quiz's and Puzzles section there is a thread Famous Initials. There is now an exclusion of the letters QZ and X. Originally there was not only a request not to use hard initials. This is all relative, all puzzles/quiz's are educational. I had used a few of the letters that are now banned along with a few more posters. I was warned. I queried it as banning these letters is a form of covert racism. Neither of the moderators replied to my PM regarding this form. The letters excluded are mostly used in eastern European and Asian surnames. I believe that this form of covert racism should be stopped

Slava Ukrainii

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Bass Reeves, just to clarify, are you disputing the yellow card/warning that you received?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,165 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Toots wrote: »
    Bass Reeves, just to clarify, are you disputing the yellow card/warning that you received?

Yes I am as mods did not reply to my PM that I send to them regarding it. As well as the thread in its present form is a sort of covert racism

Slava Ukrainii

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,303 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Post deleted

Please note only the OP, relevant CMod(s) or Admins can post in Dispute threads, unless invited to do so my a CMod/Admin

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,303 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Bass Reeves

This thread will only deal with the yellow card you picked up for ignoring a mod instruction

If you have a wider complaint to make, or wish to dispute a threadban, please start a thread in Help Desk. Please await the conclusion of this appeal before doing so though

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I can deal with this issue.
    Your yellow card was for ignoring a mod instruction.

What is the basis of your appeal?

• Advertisement

I came across the thread and started contributing. After using one of X,Y or Z once or twice I was pulled up for it by Deja Boo. I went back and read the opening post which I had not done before. I PM'ed regarding how the exclusion of these letter is a form of covert(I used sub in the PM but it's the same) racism. The reason for this is double fold it excludes Eastern European and Asian names.

Deja Boo did not reply to the PM. Others started using them and I might have used one now and again. Somebody put up ZZ and I put up a name and put up a Q and another letter if I remember right.

Grier pulled me up on it and changed by postI send him a copy of the post I had originally send Deja ( this was 3-4 days later) and I replaced my original.post.

Deja came back and yellow carded me. I PM ed Deja after this and he still has not replied to either post.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

So are you saying you were not aware of the mod instruction or that once you were made aware of it you ceased immediately?

And please post here the pm you sent to the mod to attempt to resolve the matter.

When I first started posting on the thread I had not read the original post. After being pulled up by Deja on the 27/09/20 who replaced I think replaced my initials. I send him the following message. His moderation was not highlighted in bold. I had read the opening post in the game at this stage
    Your modding of me is a racist attack even though you probably do not think it. The selective use of initials by use limits the section of initials to mostly to Anglo/European and at that western European names.

So we cannot use Asian or Eastern European initials. I think you should delete you moderation post

As there was no reply and other players were using the offending letters I began to use as well. I replied to ZZ initials and put up I think Q and another letter.

Grid replaced my initial s and I send him the following PM on the 15/10/2020 at around 9.10 am
    Grid
    I already replied to Deja about this I will just copy my message that I send to him

Your modding of me is a racist attack even though you probably do not think it. The selective use of initials by use limits the section of initials to mostly to Anglo/European and at that western European names.

So we cannot use Asian or Eastern European initials. I think you should delete you moderation post

He never replied to this message. I am not sure why you and deja have decided to pick on me as I am not using those letters any more than anyone else.
    This is twice I have been singled out
    Regards
    Bass

I replaced my initials and Deja yellow carded me. I send him the following message on the 15/10/2020 @ 23.59.

Deja

I have already messaged you about this moderation. You never replied. I PM'ed Grid about it this morning. I will just paste my original message to you here now.

I think you should reply to this before we go further. I will not post on the thread before 18.00 Hours tomorrow.

I have received no message from either mod. Just to clarify where my unease is coming from. Attached is a description of covert racism I am referring to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covert_racism

Slava Ukrainii

I am not interested is whether you think it is racist or not. That is not what we are discussing here. What we are discussing is whether you ignored a mod warning or not.

If you have nothing more to add I will do a review on the issue tomorrow.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I am not interested is whether you think it is racist or not. That is not what we are discussing here. What we are discussing is whether you ignored a mod warning or not.

If you have nothing more to add I will do a review on the issue tomorrow.

you asked and I quote you

''And please post here the pm you sent to the mod to attempt to resolve the matter.''

I have send you the PM's and clarification as to where the issue stood

Tomorrow will do grand I am quite patience

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    So are you saying you were not aware of the mod instruction or that once you were made aware of it you ceased immediately?

Can you give me a 1 line answer to this question without any links or explanations please?

Or alternatively answer with an A, a B or a C

A. I was not aware of the mod instruction.

B. Once I was made aware the mod instruction I ceased posting those letters immediately, or
    C. I was aware of the mod instruction but just posted whatever I wanted anyway.

As I said please keep your answer as brief as possible.

Before we go any further is a moderator supposed to give feedback/answer a pm regarding moderation.

It not up to me to adjudicate in this dispute

I have adhered to Beasty request to wait until this was settled before continuing with the racism element.

Slava Ukrainii

Please answer the question

I have made my submission

None of the three options you posted cover the situation IMO

Slava Ukrainii

I have made my submission

This is not a submission. This is an appeal process that I am trying to assist you with.

I am still trying to figure out what the basis of your appeal is so I need an answer to the question. If you do not wish to continue with the appeal that is up to you.

I will make this easier.

Were you aware that the mods had mandated that certain letters could not be used? Please answer 1 word. Yes or No.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

User has moved this discussion to Help Desk and indicated they no longer wish to engage here so locking and marking as resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement