Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the family rosary still said?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

monara wrote: »
    Was there less family breakdowns, more stable society, less crime, more law keeping, more religious vocations per head of population in relation to other countries. Other criteria too I'm sure.
    By and large, the answers were yes, yes, yes, hard to say and yes, by comparison with the country that we most often tend to compare ourselves with. But no reason to suppose that this was the result of rosary-saying rather than th other social and cultural factors that characterised Ireland at the time.

[Mandatory warning: Advocates of rosary-saying do not claim that it reduces family breakdown, promotes social stability, reduces crime, promotes law--keeping or increases religious vocations. The rosary is not a social policy.]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

The only thing that can get us to heaven is faith in God and a new heart.

Saying prayer can get us in is to say something I do can get me in which of course is Untrue. If it were true, then jesus would not have had to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭raclle

My elderly parents watch online mass and say it religiously (pardon the pun) every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

The only thing that can get us to heaven is faith in God and a new heart.

Saying prayer can get us in is to say something I do can get me in which of course is Untrue. If it were true, then jesus would not have had to die.

Uh oh I can sense a justification discussion brewing! Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I’m not disagreeing with you (some of your sources are arguable but that’s for a whole other thread). The point I’m making is that the rosary in the form that was most common in Ireland for the last 30 years I can remember is anything but a spiritual experience.

What are your thoughts on the priest saying the first half of the Hail Mary and the congregation saying the second half? With a few seconds of overlap?

The St. Pius quote is ''The Rosary is the most beautiful and most rich in graces of all prayers''

Padre Pio's quote is ''The Rosary is the weapon for these times''

The quote about Our lady's favorite prayer is one about the Hail Mary, not the rosary itself sorry, I've seen this quote a few times but can't find it now, but can send it later if you still challenge me on it. Our Lady askes the children of Fatima each time she appears to pray the Rosary, Why always the Rosary if as you say, you doubt there is ''any spiritual value'' to it ? Is Our lady wrong and you right ? Are the children of Fatima wrong too ?

Other Saints quotes
    ''The greatest method of praying is praying the Rosary'' St. Frances de Sales.

''When the Holy Rosary is said well it gives Jesus and Mary , more glory and is more meritorious than any other prayer'' St Louis de Montfort.

“You shall obtain all you ask of me by the recitation of the Rosary.”
    Our Lady to Blessed Alan de la Roche

“If you persevere in reciting the Rosary, this will be a most probable sign of your eternal salvation.”
    Blessed Alan de la Roche

I could quote many more saints about the Rosary as they all seem to love and encourage this particular way of praying. Are all these saints incorrect and Our Lady herself wrong ?

I don't go to Rosaries at wakes for this very reason, so I agree with you on this point, I wish they would say one decade slowly instead. But probable many of these priests have the same opinion of the Rosary as you and wish to get it over with asap.....However I've been to prayer meetings where it is said slowly by a holy priest, including our Youth 2000 prayer meeting in Letterkenny, and it is very uplifting and rewarding. I still say it everyday, meditatively and slowly and know it's value and I trust these countless great saints and Our Lady on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Reciting a prayer repeatedly without any thought is totally worthless in my opinion.

Like going to mass and falling asleep. Box ticking.
    Having witnessed rosaries, where half a Hail Mary takes 4 seconds - it might as well be nursery rhymes.

How do you know its worthless? The rosary is more han a string of Our Fathers, Hail Marys and Glory Be's. Each Mystery is the life of Jesus and draws us to meditate upon his life. There are countless books written across centuries on praying it. The one I like gives a line of scripture for each Hail Mary

https://www.rosarycenter.org/homepage-2/rosary/how-to-pray-the-rosary/joyful-mysteries-scripturally-based/

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

OneMan37 wrote: »
    The St. Pius quote is ''The Rosary is the most beautiful and most rich in graces of all prayers''

Padre Pio's quote is ''The Rosary is the weapon for these times''

The quote about Our lady's favorite prayer is one about the Hail Mary, not the rosary itself sorry, I've seen this quote a few times but can't find it now, but can send it later if you still challenge me on it. Our Lady askes the children of Fatima each time she appears to pray the Rosary, Why always the Rosary if as you say, you doubt there is ''any spiritual value'' to it ? Is Our lady wrong and you right ? Are the children of Fatima wrong too ?

Other Saints quotes
    ''The greatest method of praying is praying the Rosary'' St. Frances de Sales.

''When the Holy Rosary is said well it gives Jesus and Mary , more glory and is more meritorious than any other prayer'' St Louis de Montfort.

“You shall obtain all you ask of me by the recitation of the Rosary.”
    Our Lady to Blessed Alan de la Roche

“If you persevere in reciting the Rosary, this will be a most probable sign of your eternal salvation.”
    Blessed Alan de la Roche

I could quote many more saints about the Rosary as they all seem to love and encourage this particular way of praying. Are all these saints incorrect and Our Lady herself wrong ?

I don't go to Rosaries at wakes for this very reason, so I agree with you on this point, I wish they would say one decade slowly instead. But probable many of these priests have the same opinion of the Rosary as you and wish to get it over with asap.....However I've been to prayer meetings where it is said slowly by a holy priest, including our Youth 2000 prayer meeting in Letterkenny, and it is very uplifting and rewarding. I still say it everyday, meditatively and slowly and know it's value and I trust these countless great saints and Our Lady on this.
    jaqian wrote: »
    How do you know its worthless? The rosary is more han a string of Our Fathers, Hail Marys and Glory Be's. Each Mystery is the life of Jesus and draws us to meditate upon his life. There are countless books written across centuries on praying it. The one I like gives a line of scripture for each Hail Mary

https://www.rosarycenter.org/homepage-2/rosary/how-to-pray-the-rosary/joyful-mysteries-scripturally-based/

I’m not sure I’ve gotten across that I don’t disagree with you, my point is and was that the rosary as most people know it here and now bears no resemblance to what you love, and my opinion is that if you don’t mean something you say, you may as well not bother.
    I’ve heard so many priests that could have had a career as an auctioneer, going through the motions as quickly as possible. This is the standard being set.
    If this is in the decline then it’s no loss (again - in my opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

jaqian wrote: »

I spent a good section of my life saying the rosary. I could recite it without thinking about it. It didn't bring me into a relationship with God.
    As for reciting the verse of the Bible with it. Don't you know the Devil knows the Bible, he can quote from it and believes every word it says. All that won't be any good to him. It won't get him into Heaven.

Its the feast of Our Lady of the Rosary today :)
    Marking the feast of Our Lady of the Rosary on Wednesday, Pope Francis urged Catholics to pray the Marian prayer, especially amid the “looming threats to the world”, such as the pandemic. He made the call during his first General Audience in October, the month traditionally dedicated to the rosary.

reeting the Arabic-speaking faithful, he invited them to pray the rosary and carry it in their hands or pockets. The rosary, he explained, is the most beautiful prayer that we can offer to the Virgin Mary. “It is a contemplation of the stages of the life of Jesus the Saviour with his Mother Mary and it is a weapon that protects us from evil and temptation.”

The Pope also spoke about the rosary as a “contemplative prayer”, saying that, in meditating on the mysteries of salvation, “the loving face of God Himself, whom we are called to contemplate in eternity, is increasingly revealed to us."
    https://www.vaticannews.va/en/pope/news/2020-10/pope-francis-rosary-general-audience-pandemic-faith-contemplatio.html

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

I’m not sure I’ve gotten across that I don’t disagree with you, my point is and was that the rosary as most people know it here and now bears no resemblance to what you love, and my opinion is that if you don’t mean something you say, you may as well not bother.
    I’ve heard so many priests that could have had a career as an auctioneer, going through the motions as quickly as possible. This is the standard being set.
    If this is in the decline then it’s no loss (again - in my opinion)

I think you are concentrating on the Rosary badly said, when to be fair in my experience in small prayer groups, with friends and even alone is not what you have described. But I agree that at wakes and after funerals or at the graveside the Rosary is not prayed as it should be, but to knock anything for the way a small minority misuse it, is not helpful. I know from good source that it's discouraged in seminary, so my guess is that some of these priests that hurry through it, like a train, have little or no faith in the Holy Rosary either. That is the problem, the problem isn't the Rosary, but those who say it with little faith or conviction at these public gatherings.

It's still the most fruitful of prayers and the prayer Our Lady and the communion of saints implores us to say. No prayer is encouraged more by Our Blessed Mother than the Holy Rosary and there is a good reason for that.

• Advertisement

OneMan37 wrote: »
    I think you are concentrating on the Rosary badly said, when to be fair in my experience in small prayer groups, with friends and even alone is not what you have described. But I agree that at wakes and after funerals or at the graveside the Rosary is not prayed as it should be, but to knock anything for the way a small minority misuse it, is not helpful. I know from good source that it's discouraged in seminary, so my guess is that some of these priests that hurry through it, like a train, have little or no faith in the Holy Rosary either. That is the problem, the problem isn't the Rosary, but those who say it with little faith or conviction at these public gatherings.

It's still the most fruitful of prayers and the prayer Our Lady and the communion of saints implores us to say. No prayer is encouraged more by Our Blessed Mother than the Holy Rosary and there is a good reason for that.
    I think we need to be careful here of projecting our own personalities on to others. Some people can certainly "speed" through a rosary and still be sincere about it, and not merely going through the motions. For example, if someone reads a book really quickly and another reads it slowly it does not automatically follow that the latter was a more sincere or serious reader. (If anything it probably suggests that the fast reader really enjoyed the book!)

I admit that seemingly rushing through it suggests a less reverent approach but only God knows.

There is an argument that for some the "fast" rosary actually facilitates the meditative aspects.

As I said, only God knows and we should be careful of judging others, and I think we can agree that even a badly said rosary with a "poor" leader is better than no rosary at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭monara

I’m not disagreeing with you (some of your sources are arguable but that’s for a whole other thread). The point I’m making is that the rosary in the form that was most common in Ireland for the last 30 years I can remember is anything but a spiritual experience.

What are your thoughts on the priest saying the first half of the Hail Mary and the congregation saying the second half? With a few seconds of overlap?

I would have to say that I always found the rosary a deeply spiritual experience despite the distractions, like a cat playing with your hanging beads and the repetition of prayers. Sometimes the spiritual resides in the ordinary things that happen during any group prayer.

And there was always an overlap where the leader of the Hail Mary spoke slowly and the response would start 5 or 6 seconds before he/she had finished. Perfectly ok and spiritual. Priests used to lead the prayers in church rosaries and sometimes there would be an overlap. Again, IMO perfectly ok and I have no doubt a source of great spiritual blessings for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

monara wrote: »
    If your heart can't be moved you need a grave.

BIT4TTM.gif

Topical and timely video from an Irish priest ! He also, with 2 other Irish priests, has the "Home From Rome" podcast which is quite good and funny.

BIT4TTM.gif

Oops. Missed it (I think) first time. :pac:

Topical and timely video from an Irish priest ! He also, with 2 other Irish priests, has the "Home From Rome" podcast which is quite good and funny.

Lovely video featuring the late Fr Peyton who encouraged the family rosary.

Advertisement