Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advertising on Facebook Group

Options
  • 14-11-2019 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

I badly need to rent out the second room in my (rented) apartment. I was gonna go with daft but I found groups on Facebook where people looking for accommodation post themselves. I live near the airport so there’s a group where people are specifically look for that location. Are these groups ok or would it be best to go with daft?

It’ll be my first time sharing with a stranger so I’m probably nervous & a bit paranoid about the whole thing!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Be careful, have you another half that will be there for viewing time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

MissyN wrote: »
    I badly need to rent out the second room in my (rented) apartment. I was gonna go with daft but I found groups on Facebook where people looking for accommodation post themselves. I live near the airport so there’s a group where people are specifically look for that location. Are these groups ok or would it be best to go with daft?

It’ll be my first time sharing with a stranger so I’m probably nervous & a bit paranoid about the whole thing!

Do your desktop due diligence prior to meeting them, request details of themselves and evidence, where necessary e.g. Work reference. Phone them to schedule any viewings and talk to them firstly this way. If you want ground rules, get them out of the way at the outset i.e. In the ad. For example, no having groups of people over unless discussed first, partner rules etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

Do your desktop due diligence prior to meeting them, request details of themselves and evidence, where necessary e.g. Work reference. Phone them to schedule any viewings and talk to them firstly this way. If you want ground rules, get them out of the way at the outset i.e. In the ad. For example, no having groups of people over unless discussed first, partner rules etc.

But surely all of this would also apply to people on daft??

That’s a good idea to mention that stuff in the ad as I would hate a bf or gf hanging around too.

It’s just me living in the apartment so I’m thinking another female would be a safe bet but I know of female coworkers who share with guys- isn’t this risky??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

But surely all of this would also apply to people on daft??

That’s a good idea to mention that stuff in the ad as I would hate a bf or gf hanging around too.

It’s just me living in the apartment so I’m thinking another female would be a safe bet but I know of female coworkers who share with guys- isn’t this risky??

Do you not have any male friends? How would it be risky just because they're men?

Advertising on those groups is the same as Daft, it's not rocket science. We got someone in with us from a Facebook group before and just made sure we knew we would be comfortable with her. Turned out she was incredibly needy and always in the house, because she didn't work so try to avoid anyone who works from home or only dies part time if it is the case you work full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I badly need to rent out the second room in my (rented) apartment.
    Check with the LL if you can sublet. If yes, you can let directly, so you are the persons LL. This enables you to get rid of the person easier if you don't like them. If they pay your LL the rent, and you don't like them, there's not much you can do.

Be aware that people who work in the airport may work shift, so they could be in at random hours, and you'd be creeping around if they were sleeping during the day.

When looking at Facebook profiles, it allows you ignore people that don't show their face on Facebook, who don't have a job, and who likes to invite 20 of their mates over for a mid week sesh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

the_syco wrote: »
    Check with the LL if you can sublet. If yes, you can let directly, so you are the persons LL. This enables you to get rid of the person easier if you don't like them. If they pay your LL the rent, and you don't like them, there's not much you can do.

Be aware that people who work in the airport may work shift, so they could be in at random hours, and you'd be creeping around if they were sleeping during the day.

When looking at Facebook profiles, it allows you ignore people that don't show their face on Facebook, who don't have a job, and who likes to invite 20 of their mates over for a mid week sesh.

I’ve checked with the LL & it’s fine with him.

The airport people might be ok as I’m working all day & I could have the place to myself for a full day or two when they’re working.

Advertisement