Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coastal trees

Options
  • 12-11-2019 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hi-looking for some advise please. Does anyone have any tips on shelter belt trees that would suit a coastal property? Preferably non pine trees.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have very old fuchsias here right by the shore and they do a wonderful shelter work. Growing to ten foot also and bushy.

Greatly attractive to bees and other pollinators too and good nesting cover.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Hi-looking for some advise please. Does anyone have any tips on shelter belt trees that would suit a coastal property? Preferably non pine trees.

Popular tree's, or crabapples

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭macraignil

I've seen sycamore growing right up to the edge of the shoreline on the Aran islands. Also seen some holly growing there as well and there is a hardy fuchsia that grows there fairly strongly. Olearia might also be an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

In addition Quercus ilex or evergreen oak does well in coastal areas. A shelter belt performs better with a mix of heights and density.

Ligustrum, and Escallonia can be quite good too as shrubbery.

As long as you plant them with big enough hole's the soil is good they should thrive.

There's so many of them to choose from, one could be very creative with a planting scheme.

Sadly a lot of today's horticulture graduates are not sticking to basics and get caught up in modernized gardens which are nice.

But when it comes to brass tacks good old smart planting always comes up trump's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nthclare wrote: »
    Popular tree's, or crabapples
    i assume this was autocorrected from poplar!

i assume this was autocorrected from poplar!

I think there's no compromise there with your observation.

Yes Poplar, a great example is Shannon town's planting of poplars, going from one end of the town to the other.

A shelter belt planted in the early 80's they're quite good protecting against the onslaught of salty air and wind barriers.
    Quite flexible too might I add.

They're very popular

Advertisement