Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone with advice on arranging a Civil Ceremony or Marriage in a short space of time

Options
  • 27-10-2019 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

My partner and I are considering having a civil ceremony in the coming months (sooner rather than later), then an official religious ceremony and celebration when we have saved a bit more. I've been looking at the HSE details re marriage and I'm a bit confused by it all.

We intend to have a ceremony in the registry office. The availablity for Notice to Marry appointments seem to be all booked for a long time in advance and the application form wants to know the date we will marry. We will only know when we can book a Registrar/ceremony once we've gotten the appointment sorted, so it seems like a catch 22.

We were thinking of going ahead roughly 3 months after the notice appointment with just our daughter and two witnesses. In case anyone is wondering, we are together almost eight years, cohabitating 6.5 and have a two year old daughter, so there's nothing shady going on :P

We have to talk to the priest to check he would be ok with us having our official ceremony (without the legal part) a year or so later. Has anybody gone about it this way or have any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

When I got married three years ago, we knew the date we wanted so I phoned the office, asked did they have the date available, they asked what time and I said my preferred time and was given a couple of options. I was then given the appointment for the meeting in the registrar's office about two weeks after the call. That was Dublin so I don't know if it's different elsewhere. I would say have an idea of a time and date and give them a call.

I don't know anything about having a religious ceremony but I would imagine it would have to be more of a blessing because you will have already signed the marriage register. Your priest will let you know for sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Your civil marriage is easily sorted out.
    You will have to talk to your parish priest regarding him celebrating the Sacrament of Matrimony for you without the civil bit. He will be able to tell you how that would go.
    I’m assuming you mean a Catholic Wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

OP, I’m going to send you a PM

Advertisement