Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming/Beach

Options
  • 01-04-2019 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

With a pretty serious hearing loss of 90% any time in the water is pretty close to silence.
    Not so bad if I'm on my own but a bit more difficult when I've my daughter with me.
    Any tips or ideas to keep my aids safe(r) from water?

Or do I just suck it up and just do without?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,133 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hard to know what to say, I would not chance hearing aids in water, and if you wear glasses too then being in a pool or the sea can be a pretty 'out of contact' experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Agreed. Hearing aids in water, or near water, is bad.

Would you consider a lip reading class? Some hard of hearing centres do provide these, but I'm unsure where you're located.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

the_syco wrote: »
    Agreed. Hearing aids in water, or near water, is bad.

Would you consider a lip reading class? Some hard of hearing centres do provide these, but I'm unsure where you're located.

Thanks, lip reading is my only fall back as it is. So its a suck it up moment. But its a good job I have a young one whose well aware of the situation. But you can never be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭larko

I agree with the above, there are waterproof hearing aids on the market but I wouldn't risk wearing a hearing aid while swimming or in water. I know people who wear ear plugs while swimming so they would be in same boat (pardon pun). Although I know they can take them out.

Advertisement