Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Growing veg to bring to the Christmas table

Options
  • 26-10-2019 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My family are invited to my sisters for Christmas dinner. I’d like to be able to bring some veg to have for the table, I think it would be a nice touch if we had grown it ourselves.

Is it too late to grow anything at this point? Should I have planned this during the spring or autumn?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Late for the old reliables. We'll have home grown carrots, celery, potatoes, and Brussel sprouts for Christmas. But we're cropping some already.

Some winter greens and fast maturing carrots can be grown in a greenhouse,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We had dinner yesterday. All my own veg and I know the field the beef came from.had the calf in my own field last winter for a few weeks :)

Too late to be planting anything for this year outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

What carrot varieties would you reccomend for sowing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Hi,

My family are invited to my sisters for Christmas dinner. I’d like to be able to bring some veg to have for the table, I think it would be a nice touch if we had grown it ourselves.

Is it too late to grow anything at this point? Should I have planned this during the spring or autumn?

https://tinyurl.com/y53ewmds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/grow-your-own-christmas-dinner/

Great post here, very helpful and looks like it’ll be the following Christmas that I’ll get to do this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Being very limited in many ways here, when my peas and broad beans were ripe I froze a package and tied it up with red ribbon.. I should have a few potatoes and kale in abundance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭macraignil

Watching a gardening program on TV last night and they suggested when harvesting your potatoes to simply place a few in damp sand in a old biscuit box and close it up and bury it in the garden soil. They then said if it is dug up at Christmas the potatoes should be in the same condition as when they were put in the tin. I guess the soil is cool enough at this time of year to act like a fridge, the damp sand would stop them from drying out and the tin keeps out any pests that might eat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

GrumpyMe wrote: »

What do the numbers represent, in that list?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

What do the numbers represent, in that list?
    See header on page
    Dark bar is germination time lighter bar is growing time
    Of course there are so many variables they can only be indicative

Advertisement