Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food and recipes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Simple Lemon Salmon Pasta - serves 2
    This is a firm favourite in our house. But you forgot the capers!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

How is the asparagus cooked? Under the grill or boiled or steamed or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭crestglan

Could you change the clams with prawns and maybe add chile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

adrian522 wrote: »
    I'd say its boiled as he's saying to drain it, but you could steam either or do in the microwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Firedance wrote: »
    adrian522 wrote:
    I'd say its boiled as he's saying to drain it, but you could steam either or do in the microwave.

I chop mine and boil for a few mins, you could steam, microwave or do them in the oven.
    This is a firm favourite in our house. But you forgot the capers!

Must add them next time and see how it turns out. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

SPAGHETTI CARBONARA (Stolen for BBC good food site)

Ingredients

Prep 15-20mins

Cook 15 mins (need to be eaten fresh)

Serves 2 large portions

66g pancetta (cubes in aldi would also work)
    33g pecorino cheese (I found this a little hard to find. Can be got in Tesco)
    33g parmesan (grated will save so some effort but you have to grate the pecorino anyways)
    2 large eggs
    230g spaghetti
    2 plump garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
    33g real butter
    salt and freshly grated black pepper

Steps

Put a large saucepan of water on to boil. Finely chop the pancetta, having first removed any rind. Finely grate both cheeses and mix them together. Beat the eggs in a medium bowl, season with a little freshly grated black pepper and set everything aside.

Add 1 tsp salt to the boiling water, add the spaghetti and when the water comes back to the boil, cook at a constant simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until al dente (just cooked).

Squash the garlic with the blade of a knife, just to bruise it. While the spaghetti is cooking, fry the pancetta with the garlic. Drop the butter into a large wide frying pan or wok and, as soon as the butter has melted, tip in the pancetta and garlic. Leave these to cook on a medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until the pancetta is golden and crisp. The garlic has now imparted its flavour, so take it out with a slotted spoon and discard.

Keep the heat under the pancetta on low.When the pasta is ready lift it from the water with a pasta fork or tongs and put it in the frying pan with the pancetta . Don’t worry if a little water drops in the pan as well (you want this to happen) and don’t throw the rest of the pasta water away yet.

Mix most of the cheese in with the eggs, keeping a small handful back for sprinkling over later. Take the pan of spaghetti and pancetta off the heat. Now quickly pour in the eggs and cheese and, using the tongs or a long fork, lift up the spaghetti so it mixes easily with the egg mixture, which thickens but doesn’t scramble, and everything is coated. Add extra pasta cooking water to keep it saucy (several tablespoons should do it). You don’t want it wet, just moist. Season with a little salt, if needed.

Use a long-pronged fork to twist the pasta on to the serving plate or bowl. Serve immediately with a little sprinkling of the remaining cheese and a grating of black pepper. If the dish does get a little dry before serving, splash in some more hot pasta water and the glossy sauciness will be revived.

I find this one great on evenings that I am cooking as it means I can prep everything pre run and boil the kettle for the pasta. Then come back and dinner is on the table in 10 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Dead thread lives again...

I'm looking for ideas for lunches - make in a batch at the weekend, keep in fridge or freezer, can be reheated in microwave, more bite than a salad...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

I make this chilli fairly regularly and it's really really tasty. Sub black beans in for the red kidney.

Freezes really well, actually tastes better on day 2. I have it with nachos, sour cream, homemade guac and jalapenos. Guacamole won't last more than day 2 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

RayCun wrote: »

I'm looking for ideas for lunches - make in a batch at the weekend, keep in fridge or freezer, can be reheated in microwave, more bite than a salad...

Chop root veg into large chunks. Peppers, sweet potato, cougette etc. Season and drizzle olive oil. Onto a tray and bake for 20-25 min

Meanwhile finely slice a red onion. Into a small pan with a knob of butter and olive oil on lower possible heat and leave it be

200g of couscous into a large bowl. 300ml veg stock and cover with a towel.

After 10mins onion should be soft and couscous absorbed the stock. Mix in the onion with a Tbsp of cumin.

Back to small pan and chop in some chorizo. As it cooks add some halved cherry tomatoes. While those are cooking on medium heat poach an egg.

Drain all the oil off the chorizo and tomatoes and add to the bowl. Mix in a handful of roughly chopped coriander and the baked veg. Mix all up.

Scoop out a bowlful and drop and break the poached egg on top. Nom!!

Should be enough left in the bowl for 2 lunches and tastes great with a quick microwave. Not a freezing option though.

Might sound like a lot but honestly you will be done in 30 mins and have 3 meals out of it.

Apart from that I find Shepards pie freezes and reheats well. And portions into easy to freeze slabs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Dahl / Lentils are great and taste even better on day 2, 3 and even 4.

This is one I picked up in India, make it as spicy as you like and use whatever lentils you have handy.

Take a medium sized pot and add:
    1.5 cups of black urad dahl and a handful of channa dahl.
    1.5 tsp of garlic paste.
    2.5 tsp of ginger paste.
    Salt and chilli power as you like.
    Add lots of boiling water, bring to the boil and simmer for about an hour or until it's a consistency that you like, stir regularly.

Heat some oil in a pan and add 1 tsp of cumin seeds, once they start to pop add 1 large finely chopped onion.
    Fry until the onions begin to darken, then add 2 large finely chopped tomatoes (or a tin).
    Fry for another 3-4 minutes and add 1 tsp of garam masala and fresh coriander.

Mix well with the dahl.

As a side, you can take some natural yoghurt and add finely chopped cucumber and tomato and season with salt and black pepper or even a scoop of sour cream.

This should give you 4 decent sized portions and once you have the core ingredients costs about 1€ per serving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Age is catching up with you, BeepBeep, you posted that one before :pac:

Age is catching up with you, BeepBeep, you posted that one before :pac:

2015! - I can't remember what happened last week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Came across this channel recently enough and a good few idea's on it for batch cooking. Not necessarily running related but plenty of decent options

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQOQ3RxX_o-B-68wSKdcfMQ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

I will have to try my hand at a few of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I can't remember what happened last week!

you ran a poxy 2.51 marathon on a treadmill. :P

you ran a poxy 2.51 marathon on a treadmill. :P

I'm trying to erase that one from my memory in case I consider it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Lazare wrote: »
    I make this chilli fairly regularly and it's really really tasty. Sub black beans in for the red kidney.

Freezes really well, actually tastes better on day 2. I have it with nachos, sour cream, homemade guac and jalapenos. Guacamole won't last more than day 2 though.

Going to give this a go today.

Advertisement