Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cant decide on edits ?

• 21-10-2018 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭

am i the only person here that cant decide on a final edit
    sometimes i have 5 or 6 edits of the same image with minor adjustments !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Its really down to your mood on the day in most cases....at least for me it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Nope, I'm ruthless. Never look back! :)
    Your first instinct for an composition/edit tends to be your best and unless I've learnt a new technique to apply then I'll seldom if ever return to an old edit.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what OldGoat said.
    also helps with editing is being ruthless with pruning photos. have three photos which you're happy with, but they're very similar so you can't choose between them? pick two at random and delete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

That's why Lightroom works so well - it's non-destructive and you can have as many edits (snapshots) on a photo as you like. Come back later and one will stand out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

That's why Lightroom works so well - it's non-destructive and you can have as many edits (snapshots) on a photo as you like. Come back later and one will stand out.

yea it great that way i also find it sometime takes a few days of comming back and looking at an edit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Somedays > you just 'know', others > you'll persist with trying to do something but......it aint happenin!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Use the same workflow and end up with a fully editable PSD. It can then be converted to the required output.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

CabanSail wrote: »
    Use the same workflow and end up with a fully editable PSD. It can then be converted to the required output.

I started saving everything as PSD recently. The file size is f**kin huge! :eek: It's forced me not to hold on to every shot I took.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

I started saving everything as PSD recently. The file size is f**kin huge! :eek: It's forced me not to hold on to every shot I took.

The downside of storage becoming really cheap is that I now do store everything and end up being less ruthless in the culling process!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

A good oul purge of the files is cathartic.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It's forced me not to hold on to every shot I took.
    do people do this? first thing i do before i start any editing, when i sit down at the computer, is to start hitting the delete button.

• Administrators Posts: 54,105 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I haven't been doing it but really need to. You end up with thousands of RAW files, many of which are complete garbage.

I'll probably start only keeping yeses and maybes, and delete the nos.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have recently been revisiting some RAW files from years ago. Many of them I probably would have deleted at the time if I was short of storage space, but didn't. Looking back now I can see things in those "rejects" of the time which can be used now. Some as images on their own and others using just a part in another composition.

Be careful what you throw away, a future you may not thank you for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

do people do this? first thing i do before i start any editing, when i sit down at the computer, is to start hitting the delete button.

I exaggerated there a bit! :D There is always the initial purge but I still hold on to too many I think. That slightly different angle and focal length of the same shot.

I'm getting better though and as Old Goat said it is usually the first instinct pick that looks the best anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

I like to rate an image after I've imported them, 3 stars to 5 stars. Then delete the remaining unrated ones. Leave them a day or two and go back and have another look, try a few edits see if their working for me and then re-rate them accordingly. Then cull the non keepers!
    #Ruthless :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

I tend to upload, edit and post images almost the same/next day as shots are taken.

Then I let them stew for a while. I often find myself going back to images I passed over before.

Recently I decided to do a cull as I had kept most images I had taken (over 100K). I deleted about 50K images - it took a long time). But I came across old images I had ignored at the time. I like to think that I kept them because I saw "something" in the image but I didn't know how to bring it out. Case in point,: one image (a portrait) I took in 2008 but never processed. Last year when doing my cull I came across it finally and knew how I wanted to process it and at last had the skill to do so. Except for the first few months, I always shot and kept RAW files. (Edits are saved in PSD and jpeg are created via LR as needed but rarely kept long term).

In entered into the DCC Winter League and it won the overall digital image in the advanced section :) Not bad for a 9 year old, 10mp image taken on a D80, competing against up to 50mp camera output!

My usual workflow now is to upload images to my computer. Do a quick pass and delete everything that is oof, blurred or obviously crap.

I then do a second pass and delete images that are nearly the same and keep the better version. This gets me down to about 40-50% of the shots uploaded (sometimes less, sometimes zero!).

I will process a few and post them. The better ones go on sites where I can get honest critical feedback and suggestions (no fanboy stuff). And I often re-edit it based on feedback (I get too excited when processing/posting and often miss obvious flaws).

And I keep going back over old images every now and then. Finding the odd gem and deleting a lot more crud!

Storage is cheap (I have 30+ TB including all backup copies).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Unless on https://www.reddit.com/r/photoshopbattles/ the only editing I do is placement of watermark and resize so longest size is 800pixels for this forum, or Facebook, etc. Watermark would be "hidden" within the picture, to prevent someone cropping out my name. Rarely do people spot it without me pointing it out, as it could look part of the building, tree, etc unless you knew where to look.
    OldGoat wrote: »
    A good oul purge of the files is cathartic.
    My 14,000 or so RAW photos that I took since I went to Canada two years ago, and still have not being processed, do not agree with you :pac:

But then again, I hoard :/

i just checked; in my photos folder, i've 18,000 photos. bought my first camera in 1994.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

My inner procrastinator is delighted to see this thread! I've just returned from an extended tour of the States with just over 3200 images. I tried to do a daily review and purge, but ... well, meeting people and "doing stuff" interfered with the process at an early stage and it was too dispiriting to deal with the back-log using only a tablet and crappy internet connections (if any :rolleyes: )

Even without that kind of practical challenge, when it comes to "documentary" images, I often find it difficult to pick one photo or one edit that conveys the sense of what I've been looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I have 30+ TB

Phew, I don't feel too bad now :eek::pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement