Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stove Installation Quote

Options
  • 19-05-2021 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi,

Just looking to find out if the quote I got for stove installation is normal. My fireplace was boarded up when I bought the house, it has to be opened up to create a chamber before installing the stove. With hearth, cladding, beam and stove all included, the whole job is looking at 3500 - 4000. Is this normal?
    New to all home renovation related type stuff so finding it hard to get decent info anywhere. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

It really depends on what your doing

What stove is costing (boiler or dry)
    Bungalow or 2 story
    What heart and surround
    Whats behind the board.
    Where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 moses23

Hi,

It's not a boiler stove.
    2 storey, mid terrace, small house.
    Slate hearth and red brick rustic cladding (no surround externally i.e. not a fireplace.)
    Based in Louth.

Thanks

What KW stove have you in mind?

I'll get an idea from a mate and get back to you.

Did they survey the chimney

Just wondering if there's any more info on this? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

If it helps at all - I had a Heat Design 6kw non boiler stove installed last year in Wicklow.

Agreed on 2700 cash which was for stove, installation, high quality flue, external air kit. This was a decent price compared to many other quotes I got.

A beam (mantle?) would be say 100 from a salvage yard.

You need to make sure they are installing properly - insulating around flue and stove. Check if they have HETAS training - not a mandatory requirement in Ireland for some reason but there are plenty of cowboys out there so I'd be asking if they have HETAS or else exactly how they are going to install the stove.

And in case you need to hear this - don't pay (except small deposit) until job is 100% done to your satisfaction.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that; just out of interest, did he have to create a chamber/remove associated waste or did you already have that in place? He will be knocking into the wall to do that.

moses23 wrote: »
    Just wondering if there's any more info on this? Thanks

Can you put up a pic of the fireplace.

What size is the room you're heating as this will spec the stove. You will need a 6mtr liner for the chimney along with the cap. A blanking plate of some sort around the flue and vermiculite to fill the chimney

Sure, here is a pic... original fireplace was closed off before I bought the house.
    I'm buying just the stove separately so can take that out of install price. Just looking for how much roughly this job should cost altogether minus just the stove. Even a ballpark figure. Any advice or indication that 3500 sounds plausible. Thanks.

Have you removed the covering over the hole, if so what is behind the facing? Those 2 holes higher up are they into solid wall?
    By providing the stove you are taking away some of the profit on the job for the fitters.
    Job should be done in a day seems a little high without a stove in the cost.
    Spoke to my friend reckons 2k without stove

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

moses23 wrote: »
    Thanks for that; just out of interest, did he have to create a chamber/remove associated waste or did you already have that in place? He will be knocking into the wall to do that.

There was a gammy electric fire there that I removed so they just had to take a tiny bit out to fit the stove in.

The job took 2 guys about 5 hours.

3500 ex-stove sounds extremely pricey to be honest. Did you get a few quotes?

• Advertisement

This is the kind of finished product I'm looking for.

I have tried to get several quotes but it seems all roads lead to this man, as there aren't many people around who open up the chambers. :confused:

Managed to get a straightforward quote elsewhere for installation. 2480.
    Need flexi flue liner - not sure if that was important to mention or not

Yeah you need 1 mtr of pipe and flexi to solid joiner and roof cowl approx also approx 600 euro. Then the tiles, slate hearth another 300 euro. So 1500 for the fitting

Advertisement