Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a used bike from England

Options
  • 12-05-2021 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi, what is the story re importing a used bike from England, eg a 2010 with 14000km. I know there’ll be vrt on it, no,vat because it’s more than 6000km on it.
    But what about customs duty? How much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

lipso wrote: »
    Hi, what is the story re importing a used bike from England, eg a 2010 with 14000km. I know there’ll be vrt on it, no,vat because it’s more than 6000km on it.
    But what about customs duty? How much?

You will have to pay duty, VAT and VRT.

Unless it's an absolute bargain, it won't be worth it.

The days of bringing in bikes from the UK to save a few Bob are gone.

Some exceptions for bikes registered in NI before 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭lipso

Surely there’s only vat payable if it’s under 6 months old or has less than 6000km on it.
    How is customs duty calculated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Surely there’s only vat payable if it’s under 6 months old or has less than 6000km on it.

VAT is due on any goods entering the EU, UK is no longer in the EU, so VAT is due.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/brexit/brexit-for-individuals/importing-a-vehicle-from-great-britain-gb-or-northern-ireland.aspx

You have to find the code for duty, I think it is 0% for motorbikes though.

Read up on revenue.ie all the details are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Vat will be due on purchase and transportation price regardless of age and millage.
    Duty is 0% from England.

Eg.
    Bike -£2300/ €2678.94
    Transportation -€80
    Vrt -€100

2678.94 + 80 = 2758.94 + 23% (634.55) =€3393.50
    3393.50 + 100 = €3493.50 total

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Duty is 0% from England.

Is duty not based on County Of Origin?

e.g. Japanese manufactured motorcycle @ 1.5%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

macplaxton wrote: »
    Is duty not based on County Of Origin?

e.g. Japanese manufactured motorcycle @ 1.5%

No. 10% duty on UK imports to here.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Vat will be due on purchase and transportation price regardless of age and millage.
    Duty is 0% from England.

Eg.
    Bike -£2300/ €2678.94
    Transportation -€80
    Vrt -€100

2678.94 + 80 = 2758.94 + 23% (634.55) =€3393.50
    3393.50 + 100 = €3493.50 total

Having just imported a bike, the only way you're avoiding 10% duty is to buy in NI.

And €80 transport from UK isn't accurate. I paid €330.

So the sums above are over optimistic.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Having just imported a bike, the only way you're avoiding 10% duty is to buy in NI.

You must be great craic at parties, it's an example to show the maths, never did I say those were the actual figures.

You must be great craic at parties, it's an example to show the maths, never did I say those were the actual figures.

Why not just post accurate figures then ? ....it takes no less effort and is actually useful

Ode To The Motorist

Why not just post accurate figures then ? ....it takes no less effort and is actually useful

Because I don't have to to show someone how the maths works.
    I've no idea the figure on the bike, if he's going to get the ferry over and back or have a bike transporter take it.
    Nor do I need to know any of the above to show him how to work it out for himself.
    For all we know he could fly over and take it back on the ferry.

I'm sure he's well able follow a given example and insert his own figures. So that's why I didn't post "accurate" figures. He asked for a calculation and was given one, if he wanted exact figures he'd of asked.

You quoting an example and pointing out a random figure serves less purpose than showing someone how to do it with random figures, so what's your point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

So they go on the invoiced purchase price? What about private sales etc.?

newmember? wrote: »
    So they go on the invoiced purchase price? What about private sales etc.?

You'll need a receipt, you can write one up, just don't take the piss on the figure.

Because I don't have to to show someone how the maths works.
    I've no idea the figure on the bike, if he's going to get the ferry over and back or have a bike transporter take it.
    Nor do I need to know any of the above to show him how to work it out for himself.
    For all we know he could fly over and take it back on the ferry.

I'm sure he's well able follow a given example and insert his own figures. So that's why I didn't post "accurate" figures. He asked for a calculation and was given one, if he wanted exact figures he'd of asked.

You quoting an example and pointing out a random figure serves less purpose than showing someone how to do it with random figures, so what's your point?

No you don't, but leaving out Duty makes your example misleading.

Ode To The Motorist

No. 10% duty on UK imports to here.

That's used passenger cars (commodity code heading 8703) [sidenote: buying a new car from UK of Japanese origin has 6.3% duty rate]

If they are charging third country duty on a motorcycle, then it looks like 1.5% direct from Japan, but if third country duty is applicable on Japanese made motorcycle via GB then it's 6%?

(commodity code heading 8711)

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/measures.jsp?Lang=en&SimDate=20210516&Area=JP&MeasType=&StartPub=&EndPub=&MeasText=&GoodsText=&op=&Taric=8711500000&search_text=goods&textSearch=&LangDescr=en&OrderNum=&Regulation=&measStartDat=&measEndDat=

The Revenue page talks of used passenger cars and gives example for all other vehicles look up the commodity code.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/registration-of-imported-used-vehicles/importing-a-vehicle-from-gb.aspx

tl;dr It's not 10% duty.

Edit to add: 8% duty on sub 250cc

What the procedure then re vat and customs duty?

My bike is £350, £325 courier... it’s a 2013 125cc kymco.....vrt seems to be €50.
    Vat would be 23% of 350? Customs duty would be % of so called Open market selling price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

For a 125cc Kymco...would you not be better off buying from a dealer here? Is it a massive saving like?

I'm not being disrespectful or anything, I'd probably understand a little better if it was something pretty rare.

Fabio wrote: »
    For a 125cc Kymco...would you not be better off buying from a dealer here? Is it a massive saving like?

I'm not being disrespectful or anything, I'd probably understand a little better if it was something pretty rare.

I understand what you’re saying but forget about the bike just interested in the calculations and costs to import it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

My bike is £350, £325 courier... it’s a 2013 125cc kymco.....vrt seems to be €50.
    Vat would be 23% of 350? Customs duty would be % of so called Open market selling price?

350+325=£675-€780
    €780+23% =€960
    + Duty @ 6%= €1016
    + VRT @ €2 per cc = €250
    - 8 years =€50
    €1100 landed plus motor tax of €76 and plate.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    350+325=£675-€780
    + Duty @ 6%= €1016

I'll just add following my previous post that third country duty on sub 250cc is 8%

• Advertisement

350+325=£675-€780
    €780+23% =€960
    + Duty @ 6%= €1016
    + VRT @ €2 per cc = €250
    - 8 years =€50

Thanks....what’s the 6% based on? Uk?

Based on TARIC 871120xxxx https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/taric_consultation.jsp?Lang=en

actually 8% of "landed cost" so sale price + shipping or transport/shipping insurance

Is that bike seen as uk origin or Taiwanese? For example Lexmoto is British but bikes made in China, so is customs duty based on uk or China?

350+325=£675-€780
    €780+23% =€960
    + Duty @ 6%= €1016
    + VRT @ €2 per cc = €250
    - 8 years =€50

(not sure about the jump from €675 to €780? VAT goes on after duty applied)

€350 + €325 = €675
    + Duty @ 8% €54 = €729
    + VAT @ 23% €167.67 = €896.67
    + VRT @ €2 per cc €250 less age discount 80% €50 = €946.67

Is that bike seen as uk origin or Taiwanese? For example Lexmoto is British but bikes made in China, so is customs duty based on uk or China?

It would appear to be GB import, but under "third country duty", because COO is China and not GB.

As a matter of interest I searched on donedeal for any 2012-2014 125s. 12 ads appear cheapest is €1100. So dear in Ireland.

macplaxton wrote: »
    (not sure about the jump from €675 to €780? VAT goes on after duty applied)

€350 + €325 = €675
    + Duty @ 8% €54 = €729
    + VAT @ 23% €167.67 = €896.67
    + VRT @ €2 per cc €250 less age discount 80% €50 = €946.67

Conversion from GBP to EUR (675-780)

If the bike was from EU, France or Germany how would these figures differ? Same except no customs duty?

Conversion from GBP to EUR (675-780)

Ah, I see now :o

£350 + £325 = £675 / 0.86250 (Revenue Exchange Rate for May 2021*) = €782.60
    + Duty @ 8% €62.60 = €845.20
    + VAT @ 23% €194.39 = €1039.59
    + VRT @ €2 per cc €250 less age discount 80% €50 = €1089.59

* https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/importing-and-exporting/exchange-rates/2021/may-2021.aspx

• Advertisement

If the bike was from EU, France or Germany how would these figures differ? Same except no customs duty?

No vat applicable to EU registered except if <6000k or 6mths

Advertisement