Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advantage to having a board in the shed vs just sockets

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I see it like this:

1) You made a minor mathematical error but if you use someone else's numbers you get the desired answer :D
    I agree that with your overall theory that 2 RCD's in series results in some level of risk reduction under some circumstances.

2) You say that all regulations are "advisory" but provide nothing to support this theory. My personal view is that you don't believe this, you just want to provoke a reaction. I agree that it is good to challenge regulations, especially the ones that I view as daft. I have been working with the HSA, believe me you are mistaken.

3) I also agree with you that a number of REC's blatantly ignore some of the rules and are responsible for some shoddy work practices. I don't think that this gives the rest of us a license to do whatever we like and I think that those REC's are a small minority.

4) You state that courts don't exist and you frequently break the law with respect to restricted works. I think this is your way of saying that you don't believe you will ever get caught, which is probably true.

5) Due to your experience, interest, resourcefulness and from tinkering with bits and bobs you feel that you have far more technical expertise that most / all electricians.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 throwaway657yf

2011 wrote: »
    I see it like this:

1) You made a minor mathematical error but if you use someone else's numbers you get the desired answer :D
    I agree that with your overall theory that 2 RCD's in series results in some level of risk reduction under some circumstances.

2) You say that all regulations are "advisory" but provide nothing to support this theory. My personal view is that you don't believe this, you just want to provoke a reaction. I agree that it is good to challenge regulations, especially the ones that I view as daft. I have been working with the HSA, believe me you are mistaken.

3) I also agree with you that a number of REC's blatantly ignore some of the rules and are responsible for some shoddy work practices. I don't think that this gives the rest of us a license to do whatever we like and I think that those REC's are a small minority.

4) You state that courts don't exist and you frequently break the law with respect to restricted works. I think this is your way of saying that you don't believe you will ever get caught, which is probably true.

5) Due to your experience, interest, resourcefulness and from tinkering with bits and bobs you feel that you have far more technical expertise that most / all electricians.

i honestly didn't think this was such a topic for debate, i think ill call my electrician and ask directly about the sub board and get his opinion. on a kind of related issue if the mcb trips before the rcd is this due to overloading?

Yes. MCBs do overloading, RCDs guard unwanted paths or electrical leaks.

RCD = electrocution protection (life)
    MCB = fire protection (cables)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Mikey..

Yes. MCBs do overloading, RCDs guard unwanted paths or electrical leaks.

RCD = electrocution protection (life)
    MCB = fire protection (cables)

You seem to be self-taught in the electrical game

What happens ime is you get bits of information without getting the complete picture

Training and education in the specific field is needed to build the complete picture

I've done it myself where I researched an electrical area and then discovered I had made fundamental errors which were pointed out to me

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Mikey.. wrote: »
    What happens ime is you get bits of information without getting the complete picture

To be fair I don’t think that applies in Sir Liam’s case

• Advertisement

Never stop learning.

Thinking I know it all is the surest sign that I know very little.

Not only that but you never know until you know. I generally won't believe a property unless I've tested it myself and measured the results.

Advertisement