Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thesis Help

Options
  • 13-04-2021 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi, I'm looking for your help please.
    My son has a thesis to complete within the next 6 weeks and hasn't started it yet. He would have learning difficulties and unknown to me he has had a mental block and hasn't a clue how to start it. He is massively stressed and has spoken to his tutor who hasn't really helped him .
    My question is, is there anyone or anywhere that he can go to that can help him complete this? It is in the area of property.
    Genuine answers please. Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DeeAvery

What level thesis are we talking about here? Is this an undergrad project? I'm going my reply assuming you mean an undergrad dissertation.

First, by tutor do you mean their thesis supervisor? If you don't then obviously he should be dealing with their supervisor.

Second, if he has learning difficulties he should reach out to the office in their university that supports students with disabilities. Likewise, if he very stressed he should contact their counselling, mentoring or similar services.

Third, the majority of colleges have academic/writing support services so he should reach out to those as well.

At the end of the day though no one will do the work for him, they will only give him support and information on how to do it.

If you are talking about undergrad level 6 weeks is actually enough time to write a dissertation. Plenty of students have done them in a week or two with all-nighters and still got 2.1s. Though unwise it is a very studenty thing to do lol. Maybe just don't say that to keep him focused.

Also, it is possible to get extensions on a thesis. Most universities have been accommodating to students in these Covid-19 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Some rock-solid advice there above.

The key is to act now. Don't let your son delay any longer. Use constructive, supportive language and remind him that there are many people there to support him, yourself included.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

1. Disabilities officer might be able to advocate for him for extension.
    2. Tell them to go to the library and look up theses from last year's students, he can follow the same format and get ideas.
    3. He should have agreed a topic with his tutor.
    4. Exactly what guidance has the tutor/supervisor given them? I've supervised dissertations before and we had to have records of meetings and actions for the students to complete.
    5. At the very least he should have been given a reading list.

Best advice I ever got is to hand up anything, and aim for a bare pass!!! the college doesn't want to fail anyone really so should support the student if needs be. Once he sets the bar low and begins writing then he'll start to improve and rewrite.

What he needs to do now is start writing..... Any garbage will do. Then refine it.

He needs to seek help... But 6 weeks is loads of time once he starts now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DrKav

Really sound advice from you all and many many thanks for taking the time to answer.
    To clarify its final year level 8.
    I will follow up with each and every point you all made although it's going to be difficult as panic and self doubt has crept in.
    He still hasn't started and keeps saying his tutor is very hard to get hold of, which may not be the case.
    He's terrified.

Advertisement