Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Hurling League 2021 discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

big_drive wrote: »
    Diarmuid byrnes after getting one match ban for incident at finish of game last weekend

That brings to four the number of Limerick players that could have walked. The focus after the match was on all the soft frees when the yellow/red card incidents were ignored. Owens bottled it, in addition to the stroke on Hegarty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭threeball

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Harmless but against the rules. People are getting ripped apart here for saying things like that when Limerick break the rules

The first part was a yellow card offence. They don't deal with yellow card offences retrospectively. Byrnes would obviously have been sent off for his offence in the eyes of the review panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,068 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

threeball wrote: »
    The first part was a yellow card offence. They don't deal with yellow card offences retrospectively. Byrnes would obviously have been sent off for his offence in the eyes of the review panel.

Ok fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

In an interview with recently retired James Skehill- my points that I laboured on are over the last week - are practically outlined word for word (particularly between minute 8 and 9) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3UO9T1JxhE&ab_channel=OffTheBallOffTheBall

On another subject, obviously every team is engaging in a bit of shadow boxing, trying things but if anything works a little too well - it's soon changed and onto something else (apart form Galway so far)- But what team will be the most different in terms of personnel and style of play come championship? Waterford? Kilkenny?

Grats wrote: »
    That brings to four the number of Limerick players that could have walked. The focus after the match was on all the soft frees when the yellow/red card incidents were ignored. Owens bottled it, in addition to the stroke on Hegarty.

Owens has bottled things several times going back over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

No, but I wouldn't expect it

The first part was harmless, it was the reaction that was a step up in terms of seriousness
    Byrnes didn't deserve a ban..the guy that started it did.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Thats the attitude some Irish guys use in Australia when they goad and annoy aussies on a night out. The Aussies usually don't get the 'banter' and end up knocking out the Irish fella. Byrnes didn't deserve a ban..the guy that started it did. Byrnes should have laid him out properly.

Jesus lad get a grip. He pushed him to his shoulder. It happens about a million times a game in nearly every ruck. Either you didn't see the incident or you have some hostility issues. And for the record NOBODY deserves to be laid out in a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Robson99

Thats the attitude some Irish guys use in Australia when they goad and annoy aussies on a night out. The Aussies usually don't get the 'banter' and end up knocking out the Irish fella. Byrnes didn't deserve a ban..the guy that started it did. Byrnes should have laid him out properly.

So Canning should have got up and stretched Hegarty after his cowardly belt into Cannings back with the hurl in last years semi

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 Jacktheelad

So what should Canning have done to Hegarty after his cowardly belt in to Canning's back last season?

The irony of the behaviour from some Limerick supporters since Sunday is ridiculous.

Sour grapes at the thought of being beaten for the first time since the AI semi in 2019 I'd imagine.

Relax lads, it was a glorified friendly after all :O

• Advertisement

So what should Canning have done to Hegarty after his cowardly belt in to Canning's back last season?

The irony of the behaviour from some Limerick supporters since Sunday is ridiculous.

Sour grapes at the thought of being beaten for the first time since the AI semi in 2019 I'd imagine.

Relax lads, it was a glorified friendly after all :O

I dont think anyone is too upset to lose that game. In fairness we were lucky to draw with Tipp so it was no shock

Its the fellas who came on here acting like Limerick were the only team to ever foul or play rough and followed with the almost annual death of hurling wails and claiming the line must be drawn before the game is destroyed is what got up people. By the time the Kiely comments came out things had hit a level of hyperbole where a manager talking sh1te like so many do had turned into a story where he was the greatest disgrace the country had ever seen.
    You are even at it yourself with the cowardly belt stuff. Its a very different story if saint Joe hit a fella in the back its like the English soccer media who call diving Italians cheats but diving English players smart
    Limerick fans are perfectly right to get defensive at this "puke hurling" narrative been thrown at a very skilful team

The whole thing about fouls and not just from the Limerick game has the media in overdrive and lads here saying they will never watch hurling ever again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

What a weird contribution. Not sure raiding the I-spent-a-year-in-Australia-please-please-ask-me-about-it is relevant. Or the faux hard man stuff about laying people out either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭MfMan

This weekends action can't come soon enough so that we can move onto the next 7-day wonder Monday morning. Think we're all getting lock-down fever.

I dont think anyone is too upset to lose that game. In fairness we were lucky to draw with Tipp so it was no shock

Its the fellas who came on here acting like Limerick were the only team to ever foul or play rough and followed with the almost annual death of hurling wails and claiming the line must be drawn before the game is destroyed is what got up people. By the time the Kiely comments came out things had hit a level of hyperbole where a manager talking sh1te like so many do had turned into a story where he was the greatest disgrace the country had ever seen.
    You are even at it yourself with the cowardly belt stuff. Its a very different story if saint Joe hit a fella in the back its like the English soccer media who call diving Italians cheats but diving English players smart
    Limerick fans are perfectly right to get defensive at this "puke hurling" narrative been thrown at a very skilful team

The whole thing about fouls and not just from the Limerick game has the media in overdrive and lads here saying they will never watch hurling ever again

I wasn't in here saying as much.

As for if Canning did it it would be a different story, you're wrong, if Canning did it would have been a cowardly act also.

You're right about the English media & foreign players but I don't see how the likes of Canning & Hegarty can be compared to that tbh?

Any belt like the one Hegarty did on Canning is a cowardly, simple as that really. Again if it was the other way around then it would have been cowardly from Canning.

Again I've not said as much, Limerick are an excellent team. There's a reason they have 2 league & 2 championship titles in the last 3 seasons as well as being unbeaten since the AI semi 2019 before Galway beat them.

Its the fellas who came on here acting like Limerick were the only team to ever foul or play rough and followed with the almost annual death of hurling wails and claiming the line must be drawn before the game is destroyed is what got up people.

A load of oul beal bocht nonsense. Talk about an extreme interpretation and reading what you want to read. People gave very specific evidence and made arguments about tactics employed. Get over it and move on.

What do people think of the Galway side? 9 changes? It's a very strong panel

• Advertisement

formerlyET wrote: »
    What do people think of the Galway side? 9 changes? It's a very strong panel

Great to see Daithi back & Joe at midfield is interesting, I thought he done very well around the middle of the park when he came on against Limerick.

It'll be interesting to see what Jason Flynn does at centre forward & from a starting position too. Usually the most we'd see of him is coming on as a sub. Niall Burke has done very well with his two starts & them are usually in competition with one another be it a starting place or the first forward off the bench.

It's an experimental team but a strong one too, a good squad as you said.

I think beating Limerick was the important one given Galway had lost to them 4 times in a row coming in to that game, it also allowed for 9 changed for this game & to mix things up a little bit.

Looking forward to it!

A load of oul beal bocht nonsense. Talk about an extreme interpretation and reading what you want to read. People gave very specific evidence and made arguments about tactics employed. Get over it and move on.

By "people" you mean you gave evidence that was shot through with holes. You were exactly who I was talking about

I wasn't in here saying as much.

As for if Canning did it it would be a different story, you're wrong, if Canning did it would have been a cowardly act also.

You're right about the English media & foreign players but I don't see how the likes of Canning & Hegarty can be compared to that tbh?

Any belt like the one Hegarty did on Canning is a cowardly, simple as that really. Again if it was the other way around then it would have been cowardly from Canning.

Again I've not said as much, Limerick are an excellent team. There's a reason they have 2 league & 2 championship titles in the last 3 seasons as well as being unbeaten since the AI semi 2019 before Galway beat them.

Most of that wasn't about what you had said but just a general description of why people are getting annoyed.

Fair play if you call out all fouls the same. Plenty don't and that's where the problem begins

Great to see Daithi back & Joe at midfield is interesting, I thought he done very well around the middle of the park when he came on against Limerick.

It'll be interesting to see what Jason Flynn does at centre forward & from a starting position too. Usually the most we'd see of him is coming on as a sub. Niall Burke has done very well with his two starts & them are usually in competition with one another be it a starting place or the first forward off the bench.

It's an experimental team but a strong one too, a good squad as you said.

I think beating Limerick was the important one given Galway had lost to them 4 times in a row coming in to that game, it also allowed for 9 changed for this game & to mix things up a little bit.

Looking forward to it!

It will be interesting to see how Joe develops there.

I think with all the frees happening in the halfback position - i think you'll see teams developing a player who sits in the pocket between midfield and the half back line - ready to take the short ball from a free. A play maker option rather than going for the long free, time and time again. You might see the likes of TJ, Joe, Noelie, and Chin picking up that position - if not actually taking the free.

More and more counties are trying to put forward minded players nearer that area of the field because so much of the possession and platform is there. And you've really have got to have a player who can really pass accurately to get through the packed defence.

They might ask Flynn to try drag Kennedy out of the center - interesting selection of Jason there.

Niall Burke has flattered to deceive a lot throughout the years - needs to find consistency more in championship. Very competitive forward division now.

It will be interesting to see how Joe develops there.

I think with all the frees happening in the halfback position - i think you'll see teams developing a player who sits in the pocket between midfield and the half back line - ready to take the short ball from a free. A play maker option rather than going for the long free, time and time again. You might see the likes of TJ, Joe, Noelie, and Chin picking up that position - if not actually taking the free.

More and more counties are trying to put forward minded players nearer that area of the field because so much of the possession and platform is there. And you've really have got to have a player who can really pass accurately to get through the packed defence.

They might ask Flynn to try drag Kennedy out of the center - interesting selection of Jason there.

Niall Burke has flattered to deceive a lot throughout the years - needs to find consistency more in championship. Very competitive forward division now.

I thought last Sunday was the best I've ever seen Niall Burke play. He caught some great ball and for once used his size and physique. But he needs to follow it up with another game as you say. That's why I'm surprised he's on the bench.

I'll be very interested to see how Kevin Cooney goes. He has been very good at club and has the power too. Very please to see the strength in depth thats developing especially with the minors who won the all ireland's in the last few years starting to come through. If you could get 4 from those 3 teams they'd be in a great place for the next few years.

• Advertisement

I thought last Sunday was the best I've ever seen Niall Burke play. He caught some great ball and for once used his size and physique. But he needs to follow it up with another game as you say. That's why I'm surprised he's on the bench.

I'll be very interested to see how Kevin Cooney goes. He has been very good at club and has the power too. Very please to see the strength in depth thats developing especially with the minors who won the all ireland's in the last few years starting to come through. If you could get 4 from those 3 teams they'd be in a great place for the next few years.

I know nothing about Kevin Cooney. What age is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭MfMan

I know nothing about Kevin Cooney. What age is he?

Younger brother of Joe, minor in umm... 16/17 I think. Very promising, as you would expect of his pedigree, and coming in on the back of good club form in particular. Still rather light though.

MfMan wrote: »
    Younger brother of Joe, minor in umm... 16/17 I think. Very promising, as you would expect of his pedigree, and coming in on the back of good club form in particular. Still rather light though.

I have you now. Misread it at first. Looking forward to seeing him in action. Some talents in Galway.

16/17? Really? Jesus. (although I'm sure that's against the rulebook these times - Think Laois had to let a young lad go because he was too young).

He must be some talent.

Ah here. You must have read that comment with the same eye you look at the Limerick side with...

Anyhow, Limerick side named for Sunday, pretty strong by the looks of it. Should confirm whether they are in a slump or not.

1. Nicky Quaid (Effin)

2. Sean Finn (Bruff)

3. Dan Morrissey (Ahane)

4. Richie English (Doon)

5. Mark Quinlan (Garryspillane)

6. Declan Hannon (Adare) Captain

7. Kyle Hayes (Kildimo/Pallaskenry)

8. Cian Lynch (Patrickswell)

9. Darragh O’Donovan (Doon)

10. Tom Morrissey (Ahane)

11. David Reidy (Dromin-Athlacca)

12. Conor Boylan (Na Piarsaigh)

13. Aaron Gillane (Patrickswell)

14. Seamus Flanagan (Feohanagh-Castlemahon)

15. Peter Casey (Na Piarsaigh)

16. Barry Hennessy (Kilmallock)

17. Adrian Breen (Na Piarsaigh)

18. Ronan Connolly (Adare)

19. Aaron Costello (Kilmallock)

20. Colin Coughlan (Ballybrown)

21. David Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh)

22. Robbie Hanley (Kilmallock)

23. Barry Nash (South Liberties)

24. William O’Donoghue (Na Piarsiagh)

25. Cathal O’Neill (Crecora/Manister)

26. Pat Ryan (Doon)

That would be for the Limerick GAA thread, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Just noticed (thanks to Galway GAA's twitter account) that Canning passed out Damien Hayes for appearances record for Galway - 112.

I wonder who has the most out of all currently active players? Seamie Callanan maybe?

cson wrote: »
    Just noticed (thanks to Galway GAA's twitter account) that Canning passed out Damien Hayes for appearances record for Galway - 112.

I wonder who has the most out of all currently active players? Seamie Callanan maybe?

Championship? Reid, I'd say. Probably league and championship too.

Well it's for a match in the National League.

Felt it was easier to post it here since the discussion if Limerick lose will inevitably be about their slump, but hey, you're the thread police I guess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Felt it was easier to post it here since the discussion if Limerick lose will inevitably be about their slump, but hey, you're the thread police I guess.

The actual thread police are always around ;)

Posting a team sheet for a league game in this thread is perfectly acceptable, especially when most of the last page or two have been centered around that team.

• Advertisement

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    The actual thread police are always around ;)

Posting a team sheet for a league game in this thread is perfectly acceptable, especially when most of the last page or two have been centered around that team.

Thanks, didn't feel it was a controversial thing to do at all.

Anyhow, Kiely has loaded more pressure on himself with his selection. This is the first team, give or take, imo. If Limerick were to lose with a weaker side out you could always argue they were still shadow boxing etc. Will be interesting to see at any rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,894 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Great player, wish him all the best in his recovery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭big_drive

Championship? Reid, I'd say. Probably league and championship too.

Your correct on Reid I'd say. Think he went top when Brick Walsh retired

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Great player, wish him all the best in his recovery

The hearbeat of that Tipp team, its hard to see him coming back after all the injuries he has had, hopefully we will get to give him the send off he deserves.

Never the most 'stylish' player but massively effective and when that Tipp team were at their peak he was the real driving force and the perfect balance for the more traditional stick men that Tipp had, the likes of Bubbles, Noel McGrath, Seamie Callinan etc would not have been much use if there wasn't a Bonner there to do the heavey lifting. As hard as nails and I don't ever remember a dirty stroke. When Bonner emerged from a ruck with arms and legs sprawling all over the place it always gave the Tipp team and supporters a huge lift. I always thought that the 2014 replay was the ultimate compliment to Bonner, Cody realised he was the fulcrum for everything Tipp were doing and changed the whole make up of the Kilkenny team to curb him and of course it worked.

A minor, U21 and triple senior all Ireland winner together with 2 all stars, one of the true greats of Tipp hurling.

Your correct on Reid I'd say. Think he went top when Brick Walsh retired

Padraic Maher is ahead by a few I think, remember reading it somewhere last year.

That foul there sums up hurling.

No point blaming the refs.

What help was it to pull him. He wasnt going to score and they score the free.

Stupid and needless fouling needs to be cut out by managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Is interfering with the helmet no longer an offence in hurling?

Daithi got caught badly for that goal

• Advertisement

That last replay didnt cover Mannion in glory. He could have hooked but decided to try play his hurl in front instead which was silly.

Going long not suiting this galway team. They need to work it through the lines. Don't have the physical presence to match Tipp up front.

Two fouls by P Maher and no card!!!

Galway keeper making a meal of that one

Two fouls by P Maher and no card!!!

And?

There is an average of 45-50 frees in every game, so if two fouls is a card it would be 7 a side by the end!

Or is it just because its Paraic Maher??

Pogue eile wrote: »
    And?

There is an average of 45-50 frees in every game, so if two fouls is a card it would be 7 a side by the end!

Or is it just because its Paraic Maher??

You said just because its P Maher. Why I wonder.

Persistent fouling will only stop when refs issue cards. So be it if we end up with 7 a side.

• Advertisement

You said just because its P Maher. Why I wonder.

Persistent fouling will only stop when refs issue cards. So be it if we end up with 7 a side.

Becasue you are from KK and from my experience a large amount of KK supporters have an unhealthy dislike of Maher

Two frees is persistent fouling :D

The Galway no 12 has given away 3 frees, on your logic he is lucky to be on the field :D:D:D

Galway living off frees at the moment. Can't get anything going from play at all. Whelan is quiet for the 3rd game in a row. He could do with finding a bit of form.

Bit of simulation from Mannion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

citykat wrote:
    Bit of simulation from Mannion

Belt in the windpipe is never pleasant

Galway living off frees at the moment. Can't get anything going from play at all. Whelan is quiet for the 3rd game in a row. He could do with finding a bit of form.

Tipp managing to keep them out through fouling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement