Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Carl Frampton V Jamel Herring Fight Thread - Channel 5 @ 10pm

Options
  • 03-04-2021 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Frampton bids to become a three weight world champion. The first in Irish history to do it.

Tough fight to call to be honest. I don't rate Herring very highly at all but the size difference is going to be a massive challenge for Carl to overcome. I can't get that Santa Cruz rematch out of my head where Carl looked out of ideas against the taller fighter who used his size. Herring much bigger than Santa Cruz and Carl seems to have slipped a bit since. Doesn't bode well on paper. Still can't shake a feeling that Frampton's will might see him through here though. Could see him coming on strong late in the fight as Herring tires. That last Herring performance against Oquendo didn't paint him in a great light. Basically quit after a cut in order to take the fight to the cards.

Gonna go with Frampton points in a fight of two halves where the decision gets disputed greatly.

Undercard on IFL TV and Frampton fight on channel 5 from 10pm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Card on DAZN at the moment. Have to say given all the hype Israil Madrimov does nothing for me. Was expected to be one of those guys who could win a world title within 10 fights. Looks like he needs to move down in weight to 147. Far too hittable and lacks power to keep opponents off him. Not going to end well for him against the elite at 154.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Didn’t see the fight but the stoppage looked very premature in the main event.

As for later, Herring on points for me. Hopefully Carl gets the job done but size will be a big factor here imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Tyrone McKenna’s opponent is out...?!

walshb wrote: »
    Tyrone McKenna’s opponent is out...?!

I think he tested positive for Covid! Sickener for McKenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I think frampton is going to get beaten tonight I think he’s well past his best. Possibly a middle round stoppage

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »
    Didn’t see the fight but the stoppage looked very premature in the main event.

Yeah fight was only going one way but stoppage was definitely far too early. That Akhmadaliev jab really is bordering on one of the best in the sport though. Superb fighter. Some serious talent coming out of Uzbekistan.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Yeah fight was only going one way but stoppage was definitely far too early. That Akhmadaliev jab really is bordering on one of the best in the sport though. Superb fighter. Some serious talent coming out of Uzbekistan.

Conlan beat him 2015 world final..

But he looks a real solid pro..

Conlan beat him 2015 world final..

But he looks a real solid pro..
    Yep and dropped Conlan heavy. Always thought the skill levels were quite close in that fight just Conlan's size and strength that made the big difference. He was only 20 back then though come on spades since.

Heads up when Frampton in..

👍

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Heads up when Frampton in..

ðŸ‘

Ring walks starting

• Advertisement

Ring walks starting

Sound. On it now..

Ring walks now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

What's WBO Junior? Is that like an Intermediate club championship

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Herring enters the ring to Nas, fair play to him.

What's WBO Junior? Is that like an Intermediate club championship

Another name for Super Featherweight.

Frampton getting hit easier than usual..

2-0 Herring, not doing a whole pile but looks the boss in there so far and size looks to be playing a part.

Is Frampton tired?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Is Frampton tired?

He's having to do a lot of work just to avoid shots and get into range, so he could be.

It's not looking great for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Very very easy for herring so far

• Advertisement

Frampton needs to simply go for it. This posing and trying to steal shots here and there will see him lose wide..

3-0 Herring. Frampton going to need to start taking more risks here. Would fear he might walk on to something. Severely outgunned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Herring is absolutely Huge compared to Frampton.
    He fought at light -welter in The 2012 Olympics (64kg).
    That's 1 weight above Taylor at those games, 2 above Lomachenko and 3 above Luke Campbell and 4 above Conlan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

looking better now lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

looking better now lads.

I still think Herring won that round, and may have stung Frampton a few times to the body, but a much better round.

That eye is affecting Herring and Frampton landed some good shots to head and body himself.
    Even a shootout would suit Frampton better than what's come before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Better round for Frampton alright

Finally Frampton shortens the distance and does some work on the inside. Why did he spend the first three rounds at the perfect range for Herring.

Frampton needs to walk this lad down, get him into the ropes and start battering him to the body.

Herring well able to match Carl in close!!

I think Carl is cooked!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Jab is destroying Frmpton. In big trouble here. Every time he lands he has to take 2-3. I think he needs a miracle.

Advertisement