Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removal of soother

Options
  • 12-03-2021 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all
    Many son / daughter still sucking a dummy as a toddler?
    My DS is, he is two, what's the best way to remove it?
    He is still reliant on it in terms of soothing him and naps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

We just went cold turkey, told both of them that a bird flew in the window, picked it up and flew away. Both accepted it without question.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

For ours and everyone is so different. We have two the first had the soother all the time really, and well when we got her off the bottle we just kinda stopped given it to her first during the day. This normally led to a few tantrums but found distraction the best way to handle it.. Then we just used to put her down for her day time nap without it, if she woke up or would not settle we would give it to her but eventually she stopped wanting it. Same thing really with night time. Trying to wean the youngest off it now, and he goes down ok during the day without it but nighttime he still has it (1 and a bit) but hopefully soon he will not want it.

Also, found if they are very stuck on the soother to take it out of the bed when they do spit it out and then when they wake up and look for it, they spend so much time looking for it they kinda tire themselves out so just give up.. I think a lot of it is patience on the parents side to put up with a few bad days for getting them to nap or the bed.. But a week or two worked for us.

Best of luck with it OP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

Our eldest was just over 2 and half when we got rid of it. At that stage it was strictly for the afternoon nap and bedtime. At that stage he used to wander over himself to the drawer where he kept two and pick both them up and have a look at them, pick his favorite and just crash out on the couch or bed, like you were turning off a light. (He wasn't always that good to sleep!)

We told him his new cousin needed it (he was just born) so we packed it in an envelope and left it out for the post man.

I wont lie and say it was an easy transition, he was very lost for it for a week or 2, more so for the afternoon nap, which he still needed at the time but just got so worked up and agitated asking for it and trashing around the place that he didn't nap for a while (which added to the fun of the whole experience as you can imagine, all this amid lock down part 2 in UK last summer) by the time the night time came around he was so wrecked he put up less of a fight.

He eventually went back to napping without the dummy and calm was restored. He also doesnt seem to hold any resentment against his cousin for inheriting his dummies!

My advice would be, the parents know when the time is right but discuss it with them for a few days and then do it and stick to your guns.
    I'd say it was 2 weeks tops here, like everything else when your going through it you think it will never end, but it will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

My little boy is almost 2 & we've reduced the soother down to sleeping or if he's properly upset (like when he had a bad fall the other day). We get him to leave them in his room for later & he's only allowed them when upstairs. He's ok enough with this and I think we'll just see how we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭jellybear

My little boy is almost 2 & we've reduced the soother down to sleeping or if he's properly upset (like when he had a bad fall the other day). We get him to leave them in his room for later & he's only allowed them when upstairs. He's ok enough with this and I think we'll just see how we go.

My little man is 20 months and we've pretty much the same system in place. Only when sleeping or for a few mins if he's in pain with his teeth. Dreading the day we've to go cold turkey!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement