Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feeding babies junk food

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Quantity is the issue. When we were kids we had no money, which meant to fast food. There were basics in our house. You'd never find chocolate or fizzy drinks because my parents couldnt afford it. The most was a pack of plain biscuits. We got one piece of chocolate on a Friday. I think I was 10 before I had a burger from a chipper.

There is nothing wrong with kids having mcdonalds, chocolate, ice cream etc. Whats wrong is the amount they are eating. Add to that all the "kids" yogurts that are laced with sugar, fruit drinks etc. Kids become accustomed to sweeter foods and it can be harder to encourage them to eat anything that isn't sweet.
    Kids are best served knowing what foods are great to have regularly and what foods should be eaten less often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Yep, for me with the most of the stuff like fruit shots or things like that is now a days it is all artificial sweeteners in them. Aspartame, Stevia although plant derived can be mixed with all other (plus to me it tastes mank :) ), Acesulfame which is in a lot of flavored waters.. All all the drinks now that used to have sugar in them in now full of all these false sugars..

Thank god we dont need to bargain herself with fruit she eats that non stop, nearly have to stop her most days.. But with the veg and other food it is just keep trying chases0102 (I think)... Tied it all with herself, asked her to help making the food, tried to sneak it in here and there.. One thing we found good as she likes cripsy things is those frozen vol a vants or puff pastry. Putting some veg paste into the puff pastry and made twists same with vol a vant. really didnt want to go down that route as tis a pain really if you are just making for one, but got a tiny but of veg in.. It is very frustrating, started putting a little of everything on her plate.. After five goes she might take a piece of carrot and go mmm yummie and thats it..

Have you tried cooking with him? Would he maybe taste as he goes or something like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

from one extreme to the other

Why is that?

Our kids dont live on bread and water and they have treats like ice cream, cake, biscuits, custard or ice lollies on occasion ie its a treat. Just because we dont give them chocolate or the heavily processed crap that is mcdonalds we are somehow in an "extreme"?

If that makes us extreme then so be it, Id rather be in the extreme and have our kids eat lots of fruit and vegetables every day than be in a position like the person a few posts back who is struggling with their little one eating any fruit or veg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,644 ✭✭✭✭fits

Honestly you can have two kids who have been offered exactly the same food from the start and one will still be fussy and one will eat everything. I know this cos that’s what’s happened with my fraternal twins. If your kid eats well there’s a good deal of that down to the individual involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

fits wrote: »
    Honestly you can have two kids who have been offered exactly the same food from the start and one will still be fussy and one will eat everything. I know this cos that’s what’s happened with my fraternal twins. If your kid eats well there’s a good deal of that down to the individual involved.

All of mine had preferences from the start. Not fussiness but one won't eat cucumber or melon, another can't stand cheese and the third doesn't like bananas. All started on solids the same way and when we eat as a family we all eat the same meals. I have foods I don't like so I'm not going to make them eat something they really don't enjoy.

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Milly33 wrote: »
    It is just a topic of the thread, you kinda sound like you are taking it the wrong way.. It is everyone's own choice what they feed their kids but the topic of the thread is Feeding Babies Junk Food, so that is what people are responding too

Just becuase some people know what crap foods are out there, and look at ingredients in food does not make them holier than thou! It just makes them responsible about what they are feeding their kids and themselves...

This is an incredibly patronising post. The topic started off about junk food and then descended into absolute nonsense about pouches of fruit and the likes. It seems to some on here anything other than absolute perfection in food is "crap food" / "junk food".

I can only imagine how up tight you have to be to actually turn your nose up at other parents feeding their kids pouches of fruit.

This place is ridiculously dogmatic and absolutist at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Jesus and your a mod? Ill probably get a mark for this one , but if I knew any better id say your my husband taking the mickey out of me. No one is turning their nose up at anything they are just responding to posts and it is quite rude of you to suggest people are tight in this regard..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

chases0102 wrote: »
    Very interesting thread folks, some really solid, practical advice.

My toddler (nearly 4) is not great with veg and brutal with fruit. He also adores chocoloate or anything treat related. A constant battle in this regard, always asking for treats (where he is often told that they are not to be eaten every day, only at special occasions and a Saturday - although I would say grandparents are fairly loose with this!)

My question is, is how can I get him to try foods? He won't touch anything green, has gone off carrots, won't look at fruit (although he will have a fruit smoothie every so often). We cook healthy, homemade meals most of the time (fresh vegetable sauce with some pasta, potato/sweet potato/salmon, homemade soup and some brown bread etc) but will never eat an apple, banana, brocolli, etc. I have no doubt it is about control, and psychological but unfortunately we feel it is having a nutritional impact.

He gets quite bloated (he has a very thin frame) and also, recently, has began pooing without noticing it - there has also been wet issues here too. We are bringing him to the doctor to explore these this week, but just wondering, on the whole, if anyone had some successful strategies to encourage fruit and veg....or food that is not white/yellow!!

My oldest a fussy so and so but is improving. They will eat fruit but the only COOKED veg they will entertain are peas and corn.
    However, they will eat everything else raw - carrots, sugarsnap, red orange yellow peppers, stalks from the cabbage even fecking turnip!

To be fair this thread started about feeding kids McDonald’s, people said everything in moderation , OP said they were talking about babies , and I came into say that stuff that is marketed for babies isn’t always the best option even if advertised as healthy, organic etc but still ok on occasion. I don’t think most people in thread are attacking anyone tbh.
    Yours an occasional McD visiting family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭anndub

I think it's generally understood that home cooking is best. Comments around there being no excuse to ever take food from the freezer aren't helpful. The more children you have the harder it becomes to cook from scratch 7 days a week. Throw in two working parents and that level of peer pressure becomes even more unhelpful. I'm not surprised some posters have been triggered.
    The odd fruit shoot is unlikely to lead to a life of crime either. A relaxed approach to eating with effort made when effort is the available is best most parents can strive for.

For what it's worth I'd sooner feed a sub one year old a pouch than a KFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 MarshmallowPop

I have nothing against a treat but should be exactly that, a treat that you get and enjoy sparingly.

When I worked in one school in particular we had to stop the Treat of the Week on a Friday because parents were sending in full packets of biscuits and sharing bags of crisps as one treat :rolleyes:

Again, it comes down to nutrition and feeding our bodies like the temple it is!

If you have a child, top of my parenting priorities would be making sure my child is well fed and educating myself about the nutrional needs of my child.

Look at the graphs for obesity in Ireland, it's shocking how fat we have got in a relatively short space of time.

I know there are many variables about we have become so obese but my husband and I both work time but with forward planning, we cook from scratch everyday.

Convenience is in and home cooking is out in a lot of households these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Convenience is in and home cooking is out in a lot of households these days.

Not everyone has the skills or confidence to cook from scratch either. I did Home Ec in school so learned how to cook then but even though my mom cooked everything from scratch she never asked for us to help in the kitchen. My siblings never learned to cook and didn’t until in their 20’s. They had a knowledge of good, healthy food so they wanted to teach themselves at that stage but if someone was coming from a house where they themselves were brought up with convenience food it’s a vicious circle.

I don’t know what’s being taught in relation to healthy eating etc in schools but I can imagine it is very difficult to counteract what’s happening at home.

anndub wrote: »
    For what it's worth I'd sooner feed a sub one year old a pouch than a KFC.

True. But only one of those is marketed towards them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

[QUOTE=bee06;116692070]Not everyone has the skills or confidence to cook from scratch either. I did Home Ec in school so learned how to cook then but even though my mom cooked everything from scratch she never asked for us to help in the kitchen. My siblings never learned to cook and didn’t until in their 20’s. They had a knowledge of good, healthy food so they wanted to teach themselves at that stage but if someone was coming from a house where they themselves were brought up with convenience food it’s a vicious circle.

I don’t know what’s being taught in relation to healthy eating etc in schools but I can imagine it is very difficult to counteract what’s happening at home.[/QUOTE]

Like anything it can be learned. I was raised by a typicaly Irish mammy in the 80s/90s in that the kitchen was her domain and you weren't allowed in there. Everything was cooked for the 5 kids. When I came to leave home I didn't have the faintest idea how to cook anything. I asked if she'd show me some basic things before leaving home and was told no.
    Out on my own I hadn't a clue how to cook or manage my finances. I ate Koka noodles and Campbells meatballs until I decided I couldn't let that continue long term. I went into a bookshop, looked for a recipe book I thought I could manage and taught myself to cook.

We all know we need to eat healthy and that processed food isn't good for you. You might not be able to cook but you need the will to make a change.

(I still have that first book!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Jamie Olivers Ministry of Food is a great basic cookbook. Easy to follow recipes that can be adapted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

River Cottage Baby and Toddler cookbook is a good one too - a bunch of healthy things for all ages - with targeted things for babies, folks doing weaning etc etc

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We all like to eat nice things incl children , we also all define junk food differently.
    I usually give my kids(12,10,8,6) treats on a fri or sat and tell them that is it for the week and one child eats them that day the other 3 make them last the week , it is usually a few mini things, they get the odd take away and mac donalds occasionally too but they know it is a treat.
    I see other kids go mad when they get access to treats.
    Jars,cereal,chicken nuggets are all fine in moderation too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I just give mine whatever I'm having. She's into gymnastics so it all gets burnt off or turned into muscle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

There is a huge difference in giving an older child treats like chocolate and / or the occasional McDonald's and giving them to a baby which is what the OP was about.

Advertisement